Blue Jays Discussion: Edwin, Donaldson, Saunders, Sanchez, Estrada to the ASG

Status
Not open for further replies.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
They used the fall of the Cdn $ , as an excuse not to raise the salary budget.

God this stuff gets old. The "excuse" raised their actual payroll 25% without actually doing anything different and payroll still increased. We are spending like a big market team.

Rysto

Oct 3, 2009
The badlands
So the Jays scored 6 runs without a single extra base hit or error from their opponents. The lesson is that small ball can work as long as you get fantastic sequencing. :D

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Last edited:

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
God this stuff gets old. The "excuse" raised their actual payroll 25% without actually doing anything different and payroll still increased. We are spending like a big market team.

Wait where did it raise their payroll? The CAD was trading at 0.7958 on 7/2/15 and was trading at 0.7786 at close yesterday (and with the way players are paid the Jays missed the majority of the collapse earlier in the year).

Not to mention the Jays operate in USD, budget in USD, and receive a non-insignificant portion (ie everything but stadium-related revenues) in USD.

The CAD thing has been nothing but an excuse from the days of Paul Godfrey to try to get stuff from the Discretionary Fund. And the payroll is flat from last year...

RedRenegade

Sep 16, 2008
http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.as...2016&ind=0&team=&rost=&age=0&filter=&players=

Position player fWAR over the last calendar year of games. JD and EE both top 5 in wRC+ as well.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.as...am=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&sort=20,d

Also RA9-WAR leaders. Kershaw (11.9), Arrieta (11.1), Zack Greinke (7.5), Marco Estrada (6.7)... (Happ and Dickey make appearances on the first page too)

Good stuff, thanks for posting. I was a bit surprised to see Dickey on the pitching list. Soon Sanchez will be up there if he keeps going the way he is.

Sokil

Ukraine Specialitsky
Apr 29, 2010
Toronto
supermensa.org
Do you think Shep is just waiting for an excuse to blow this team up and bring in his own players think can win?

I'm sure that would be a great sell to ownership

"Guys, I know we're a contender, and I know we're leading the AL in attendance and making you boat loads of cash...but this roster is missing my scent. I need to blow it up."

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012

"Guys, I know we're a contender, and I know we're leading the AL in attendance and making you boat loads of cash...but this roster is missing my scent. I need to blow it up."

"It just doesn't feel right, you know?"

frost king

Dec 11, 2013

Toronto Blue Jays Payroll 2013 - $131.7M, 2014 - $146.8M, 2015 - $140.6M, 2016 - $146.7M. As per SPOTRAC MLB Payroll Tracker. They ranked 9th, 9th, 10th and currently 12th. they are not spending like a big market team, in terms of US dollars. To get to the next level of teams, you need to add $15-20M in annual payroll, to reach the $160M mark. Even then, that bumps you up 1-2 spots on the list, to get into the top levels, you need to bump it up $30M. With this type of structure, the signing of Bautista ($30M) and Encarnacion ($20M), is not going to happen. This would leave no money on the table for the other group of free agents on the team. By saying goodbye to Bautista, you can pay Encarnacion, and still have money on the table to pay everyone else. This is the juggling, that the Black Hawks do every spring to keep their team competitive.

Scrub*

Team Canada
Dec 28, 2008
Aaron Sanchez is 13th in fWar among all mlb starters.

Kershaw
Syndergaard
Fernandez
Cueto
Quintana
Kluber
Sale
Arrieta
Tanaka
Strasburg
Bumgarner
Salazar
Sanchez
Greinke

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada

I don't know who you're quoting, but I hope it's a joke.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Toronto Blue Jays Payroll 2013 - $131.7M, 2014 - $146.8M, 2015 - $140.6M, 2016 - $146.7M. As per SPOTRAC MLB Payroll Tracker. They ranked 9th, 9th, 10th and currently 12th. they are not spending like a big market team, in terms of US dollars. To get to the next level of teams, you need to add $15-20M in annual payroll, to reach the $160M mark. Even then, that bumps you up 1-2 spots on the list, to get into the top levels, you need to bump it up $30M. With this type of structure, the signing of Bautista ($30M) and Encarnacion ($20M), is not going to happen. This would leave no money on the table for the other group of free agents on the team. By saying goodbye to Bautista, you can pay Encarnacion, and still have money on the table to pay everyone else. This is the juggling, that the Black Hawks do every spring to keep their team competitive.

I would be interested in seeing how those payroll #s convert $Cdn using historical exchange rates. Because I suspect that might paint a useful picture as to why (in part) the #s have been what they are/were.

also I would agrue that if the team is spending in the top 10 in payroll even with a vacillating exchange rate that seems pretty 'big market' to me.

Who is "Shep"? Is that Shapiros nickname?

Seems like another attempt to foist a doofy nickname on management because it's easier to make fun of them if they sound like the bumbling villain of a saturday morning cartoon. Kind of like "shatkins" to describe the pair of new FO guys.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
"top 10" is meaningless if it's barely above average and far below the top teams.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Yes, CAD payroll goes up (see below, although also note that the 2016 payroll includes all draft signing bonuses and is like $10M CAD overstated to what it should actually be). This only uses rates from April-September (or Q2 for this year).

2013: $135.8M
2014: $160.0M
2015: $173.7M
2016: $189.0M

However, this remains irrelevant for a number of reasons

- All media/advertising revenue the Blue Jays receive is in USD, which I would approximate to be 50% of their total revenue (and of course, should be higher than 50%)
- Even when converting to USD, the Blue Jays have above average ticket and concession prices, which are the only revenues they receive in CAD
- The only year the Blue Jays would have reasonably seen their F/X projections fail them was last year, where needless to say they received more than enough revenue to offset it.

Of course, maybe they won't truly spend until they get some, ahem, sustainable favourable exchange rates.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad