Blue Jays Discussion: Edwin, Donaldson, Saunders, Sanchez, Estrada to the ASG

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
also noticed that Bo has mostly been playing SS so far (no errors yet either) so that's nice.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Smoak's "resurgence" with Toronto has seen him hit about exactly as well as carrera and barney these last 2yrz, but with no defensive or baserunning value.

Are they going to cost that much? and if so, aren't they more important to re-sign?

I mean we'd likely literally be better off with barney playing 1B.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Funny how people get mad at such a small Smoak deal when it's likely that Jose will decline to Smoaks production level in a couple years but at 6x the $ and double the term.

Why does this amuse you?

Jose will have to fall a long way to be a 0-0.5/year WAR player that Smoak is.

In my opinion, this is also a signal (not that we weren't aware of it before) that at least one of EE or Jose won't be back (Since JB should move to 1B soon).

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Funny how people get mad at such a small Smoak deal when it's likely that Jose will decline to Smoaks production level in a couple years but at 6x the $ and double the term.

You're a smart guy, so this must be trigger material. Jose would have to be hurt every year, missing games, in order for that to come to fruition. Even then..

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
If he keeps hitting like he has, that 3rd season may not get picked up. But when you have good players at every position you don't really 'need' the best first baseman in the league. Like Votto or something would leave us no money to re-sign anyone. 1b/dh is still open for edwin or jose if they re-sign and Smoak could get moved. Or we could still have Adam Lind.. yuck

I am not saying they need a big hitting first baseman, I am just surprised they extended him. They could probably find another Smoak anytime. And no, I did not like Adam Lind either.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
wtf smokey re-up'd?

EE needs to re-up and he should be playing FT there instead so JB can move to DH and we can get Jay Bruce to play right

Scrub*

Team Canada
Dec 28, 2008
I am not saying they need a big hitting first baseman, I am just surprised they extended him. They could probably find another Smoak anytime. And no, I did not like Adam Lind either.

Is their really another Smoak out there for less than 4 million when we have 8 free agents to sign. Would be curious of these better options than Smoak, probably not many decent ones out there that dont cost more in prospects or free agent money.

A cheaper first baseman that will perform like Smoak, name them.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Is their really another Smoak out there for less than 4 million when we have 8 free agents to sign. Would be curious of these better options than Smoak, probably not many decent ones out there that dont cost more in prospects or free agent money.

A cheaper first baseman that will perform like Smoak, name them.

Exactly. I like the deal. Good defensively, some pop to his bat.....and he could platoon with EE at first for a decent cost

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
First baseman. It would be silly to waste barney's glove and range at 1st base. If you think his one season of good hitting is going to last , alrighty then.

this year:

smoak 98wrc+
barney 97

last 2yrs

smoak 103
barney 100

last 3yrs

smoak 95
barney 89

Scrub*

Team Canada
Dec 28, 2008
The team isn't built around a slugging first baseman, it's built around Jose, JD and EE right now, what do you want Anthony Rizzo? Freddie Freeman? Paul Goldschidmt? miguel caberera? Chris Davis? Eric Hosmer? Joey Votto? Unlikely

Then a handful of players that are probably lateral moves at best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad