Blue Jays Discussion: Edwin, Donaldson, Saunders, Sanchez, Estrada to the ASG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
So is it a given at this point that Jose Bautista will be let go with his salary demands?

I follow the Blue Jays, but I don't consider myself an expert in any shape or form. It seems kind of obvious to invest in Enarnacion over Bautista right? Can they fit both next season and still hope to sign Donaldson?

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
So is it a given at this point that Jose Bautista will be let go with his salary demands?

I follow the Blue Jays, but I don't consider myself an expert in any shape or form. It seems kind of obvious to invest in Enarnacion over Bautista right? Can they fit both next season and still hope to sign Donaldson?

Nothing is a given at this point. Lots of things can work into the equation. Even if the Jays brass prefer EE, Eddy himself could very well like to test the market. There is a fail-safe to get 'something' back for a player that walks though. Management can send them a qualifying offer, which is a 1yr contract of consistent value across the league. If the player declines that (which they likely will because they want to land a fat contract) the jays will receive a relatively high comp draft pick.

As for Donaldson, he isn't a free agent until 2019 because of his late start compared to other mlb players. So while he will still get a raise, you won't have to pay him superstar value for another 1-3 years.

In the end I'm sure they'll try to sign both on 2-4 years. Whether or not they have success doing that who knows. Hope that helps!

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
The Jays are going to have a bunch of money to throw around this offseason and feel like whoever of the two wants less term will be back (ie Jose).

Mad Brills*

No offense, but it doesn't matter what happens to Jose and Edwin now.

Focus should be on the deadline, and hopefully the next 3 months of jays baseball.

Whatever happens in november and beyond happens.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
Smoak signed to an extension.

2017: $4.25
2018: $4.25
2019: $6.00 Mil (team option) 250k buyout.

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
I'm happy with the signing. It keeps a decent bat in the lineup for the next few years. I still think that he can turn it around and be able to hit 30 homers in the Rogers Centre.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada

Donaldson is already signed for next year. Before getting to arbitration this past winter they worked out a two-year deal.

And nothing is really "obvious." Since the season started Bautista's value has plummeted (he's over 36, slowing down defensively and has been injured) and EE's has gone through the roof - barring an injury he will be the premier slugger on the market this winter.

By the time the season ends it may make more sense to bring Bautista back to be a DH/1B and let EE walk, because his price and, more importantly, his term will be into crazy town.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
I'm happy with the signing. It keeps a decent bat in the lineup for the next few years. I still think that he can turn it around and be able to hit 30 homers in the Rogers Centre.

He could very well walk into a year like that, but I wouldn't expect it. He's hovered around 20hr every year, granted with 130-140 games. I think he is what he is. Either way it's a nice cheap contract for a position that needed to be filled with Jose and Eddy's future being questioned and the fact that there aren't alot of options for 1st in the minors in the immediate future. Decent role player. Good to have these types of guys around.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
after a crap game we learn of a crap signing.

crap.

multi year extensions for replacement players. yay.

Scrub*

Team Canada
Dec 28, 2008
I am kinda confused. Do they really like a low to mid .700s OPS first baseman?

If he keeps hitting like he has, that 3rd season may not get picked up. But when you have good players at every position you don't really 'need' the best first baseman in the league. Like Votto or something would leave us no money to re-sign anyone. 1b/dh is still open for edwin or jose if they re-sign and Smoak could get moved. Or we could still have Adam Lind.. yuck

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
yeah bo is off to a torrid start.

unfortunately his big bro dante got off to the same kind of start when he first went pro. didn't last long.

but maybe l'il bro bo is a harder worker.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Ed Rod and Swihart deserved their rankings, Owens was basically mimicking Sanchez for awhile there until Sanchez hit the majors. Guys like Webster and Barnes were fodder like Graveman/Boyd, Trey Ball was one of the dumbest picks I remember landing on top 100s but that was more so because of where he was drafted.

Swihart never, ever deserved that kind of ranking. He was a mediocre hitter (both topline and underlying numbers) with questionable defense and was the oldest player in the top 100 to boot. The fact that some had him in their top 10 was ludicrous. He was ranked higher than previous catchers who were far far better prospects like D'Arnaud, who I even thought was overrated himself.

ERod did have nice legit prospect stats for ONE year but this was a one pitch (fb) pitching prospect from the start, with middling command. I actually mind this ranking the least - even though it was funny how he only jumped intonthe top 100 (and way up the top 100) AFTER the sox traded for him.

Owens was also a one pitch (ch) pitching prospect who could barely crank it up to 90, also with middling command. This guy didn't even have the command of a Nicolino.

These guys getting into the top 25 was just plain silly, imo.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
zeke is right. Not a fan of this signing. Average/replacement 1B are easy to find. Not sure why we're paying Smoak to be honest.

This is bad news. It essentially means he's stuck with us now.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
Funny how people get mad at such a small Smoak deal when it's likely that Jose will decline to Smoaks production level in a couple years but at 6x the $ and double the term.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad