Pre-Game Talk: EDSF Game 2 5/17 7:40 PM - Bruins look to tie up series - NESN, NBCSN, CBC, SN4K, TVAS, 98.5 WBZ-FM

Status
Not open for further replies.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
I agree.

The Bruins used to try to beat the great Canadiens teams with physical play and intimidation. Montreal didn't try to match it, but they were tough enough to take it and use it against the Bruins. I'm not sure today's players are committed enough to go that route. Of course, the current Bruins aren't exactly the 1977 Canadiens either.
They need to attack Chara just like teams have been attacking him when he was with us. Get pucks in behind him, make him turn and retrieve. He was never fleet of foot and is worse now. If the Bruins are going to send guys to the front of the net, they are playing into his hands. They need to use their speed against him.

The Caps having last change are going to stick him out there against the Ritchie/Kuraly/Coyle line and let him bang around with them. Need to find ways to exploit Chara with their other quicker lines

Reactions: Gordoff

BAD BOY

Mar 24, 2018
Peabody, Mass
Let’s forget about Game 1 it’s in the books. The focus is now on Game 2 . The talk is over . What I mean is Rask, Coyle, Wagner, Kuraly, Pasta, and everybody else. Let’s move onto game 2 talk. Harping about game 1 will do no good.

BAD BOY

Mar 24, 2018
Peabody, Mass
They need to attack Chara just like teams have been attacking him when he was with us. Get pucks in behind him, make him turn and retrieve. He was never fleet of foot and is worse now. If the Bruins are going to send guys to the front of the net, they are playing into his hands. They need to use their speed against him.

The Caps having last change are going to stick him out there against the Ritchie/Kuraly/Coyle line and let him bang around with them. Need to find ways to exploit Chara with their other quicker lines
Send one player over the boards not all three while playing is going on. Double shift . Try getting away from PL game plan. That’s one way to exploit it IMO

Reactions: DangleCity

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
One thing I was always concerned about was this teams lack of physicality. We don’t have the guys that can grind down their top players like they do, and it seems like a majority of the top end players are getting targeted and it’s throwing them off their game.
Bruce and the boys weren't ready for the aggression that Caps played with. I'm sure they are ready for it tonight.

That's playoff hockey, The Caps have some guys over there that can flat out run you through the boards and are borderline thugs to a degree, and especially the first game of the series you're trying to set the tone of the series, the Bruins weren't ready and they should of been. That's not only on the coaching staff but the players as well.

Its a shame they weren't better prepared as the Caps were right from the get go and they were still ripe for the picking. I mean you could see the intensity as soon as Ovi skates hit the ice exiting the tunnel. The Bruins are the better team, I still feel that, but they need to be more assertive.

Carlson had a bad game for him and I don't think he's 100 percent and neither is Oshie, the Bruins need to make this team pay, hit those two every chance they get. The cards were stacked in their favor for game one, but the Bruins folded in a bad way.

I fully expect a different Bruin team from the start, and a W in a big way. Heading back to Boston all tied up at a game a piece.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ladyfan and Gordoff

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Correct.

Bruins don't have to throw more big hits or be more physical than the Caps. We need to score more goals. Look at all the series the Bruins have lost to Montreal where they were the bigger, more physical team but would still end up losing.

There's all sorts of factors that go into winning a series and i think physicality, while needed, is so completely overrated by fans, especially this fanbase, because of who we are and where we come from.

I thought the Bruins were physical enough to win the other night but didn't do a great job around the net. Some of that is physicality, but that's mostly a willingness to crash the net and part luck finding a rebound ( example, Ritchie ).

Caps did a good job shutting down rushes while the Bruins defense did not. That's more positioning and gaps and forward pressure on puck carriers and than physicality.

In all my years of watching hockey, i feel the number one most understated factor in winning a close playoff game? Luck. It simply is. Nobody wants to say it, because it's easy to point out other things like shoot from the slot more, crash the net more, try harder, be more physical, be more clutch etc etc. We want to be able to quantify the problem with a solution rather than leave it up to chance.

Some of that luck is created by doing the right things on the ice or by simply having better talent. But I've watched too many close games over my life where my team wins or loses on *that* one lucky play that ends up being the difference and it just is what it is. Binnington's armpit sweater save on Marchand. Thomas stick save on Downie. Horton somehow finding the puck behind him and catching it clean. The list goes on and on.

Bruins and Caps last 8 playoff games: 8 games decieded by 1 goal, 5 of which have gone to OT.

Its not about throwing big hits or out hitting the other teams, all though that helps, but its more about playing through the hits taking hits to make a play and playing with a controlled fearlessness. The difference with those great Canadiens teams they had some unbelievable tough guys as well, including the great Larry Robinson and they could go to toe with you physically. Those were just great teams back then,as much as I hate to admit it. lol

PoweredByRICE

Hates your team
May 7, 2011
Bangor, Maine
Dump and chase boys. Their D is not fast. I think Tuukka let's in a bad first goal and all the haters show up then proceeds to stand on his head and steal the game for the Bruins..

Boston 4 Washington 1

Reactions: BTO

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Great post. In hockey, especially playoff hockey, evil pays. The last 3 Cups have all been won by big, nasty teams (by modern standards). They all knew how playoff games are officiated and took advantage of the odds in favour of the benefits of playing an aggressive, hard-hitting, tight-checking game outweighing the couple of extra penalties that may be called against as a result. The Bruins need to find their aggro and use it wisely. They have to want to be physical, want to be the agitator setting the tone, right from the first puck drop.

Boston have wasted far too many games this season just drifting around and playing even-tempo hockey and waiting for things to happen. It's ridiculous that 4 months have passed and they still haven't seemed to learn the lesson that most of the time that approach to games just doesn't work. It has to stop, now, or they'll be golfing very soon. I think we'll see a response here, because that's what they've done after just about every poor performance all year. We just have to hope it's enough.
The spotlight is now going to be on Bruce Cassidy. There are no really big holes in the lineup. Every team has weaknesses if you find and expoit them. Don Sweeney has provided him with the firepower to engage any team they face but if BC doesn't know how to engage and ignite his charges he'll be a memory. No excuses.

Last edited:

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Not sure but it was pretty cool to me lol

Unfortunately, that crowd sucked so bad
5156W060Z8L._AC_.jpg

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Really need to hit Kuznetsov (if he plays) and Backstrom. Like super hard. Not liking seeing Krejci getting nailed without a payback.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Its not about throwing big hits or out hitting the other teams, all though that helps, but its more about playing through the hits taking hits to make a play and playing with a controlled fearlessness. The difference with those great Canadiens teams they had some unbelievable tough guys as well, including the great Larry Robinson and they could go to toe with you physically. Those were just great teams back then,as much as I hate to admit it. lol

I thought the Bruins did that in G1 but on HF, i mostly see " hit moar, hit hardah, fahkin wimps " type posts.

tremha

Mar 9, 2011
I’d like to see Kuhlman or Freddy in over Wagner.

i would like to see Coyle back at 3C with Ritchie and DeBrusk and Kuraly back at LW with Lazar and either Wagner and Kuhlman. 4 RW is a bit of a hole offence wise - against the caps Wagner might be a better fit as he plays more physical.

Reactions: BTO
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad