Pre-Game Talk: EDSF Game 2 5/17 7:40 PM - Bruins look to tie up series - NESN, NBCSN, CBC, SN4K, TVAS, 98.5 WBZ-FM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Big hits are not that easy to throw. Balance, skating, timing. Bruins don't have many guys capable. And if the hit isn't right the player (and team) could be hurt by the play.

A valid point. Laying solid, impactful hits isn't as easy as some people make it sound. But I feel like the Bruins have to at least try to up their number of good hits, even if the talent for the job is in short supply. They need to have the intent to be checking the Caps hard and often, looking to throw their opponent off their game and take the initiative. If it doesn't go well or even if it ends up in someone getting hurt, I'd still say they need to at least have made the effort. Not reckless stuff or things that just give the opposition an odd-man rush, but timely hits with purpose. I'm not sure they can win this series without that approach.

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019
I was bullshit after the first game, but have come down from that. The caps played well and the Bruins didn’t. If the Bruins can take tonight and take home ice I really like their chances.

I said Bruins is six, that means the Bruins are going to lose two games, so I don’t know why I got so pissed when they did lol

I just hate when they don’t show up and the execution sucks. I’ll be shocked if they don’t come out and play much better tonight.

Also, it’s okay to like Rask and still criticize him. I didn’t like the third goal, but the only reason they had a chance to steal that game was because of him in the first place. He was far from the problem in that game IMO

Reactions: Gordoff

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
If we try to beat Washington in the physical game we will lose. Hockey isn't that complicated, we just need to get to the front of the net and finish. Simple but hard to do. If our first line isn't interested in doing that well then that's an issue cause it's been about 4 straight series they are getting bullied. We'll see.

Game 1 loss
upload_2021-5-17_9-15-22.png

Reg season 6-3 win

upload_2021-5-17_9-14-51.png

Reactions: PB37

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa
One thing I was always concerned about was this teams lack of physicality. We don’t have the guys that can grind down their top players like they do, and it seems like a majority of the top end players are getting targeted and it’s throwing them off their game.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
A valid point. Laying solid, impactful hits isn't as easy as some people make it sound. But I feel like the Bruins have to at least try to up their number of good hits, even if the talent for the job is in short supply. They need to have the intent to be checking the Caps hard and often, looking to throw their opponent off their game and take the initiative. If it doesn't go well or even if it ends up in someone getting hurt, I'd still say they need to at least have made the effort. Not reckless stuff or things that just give the opposition an odd-man rush, but timely hits with purpose. I'm not sure they can win this series without that approach.

Unfortunately, that is their game.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Bruce and the boys weren't ready for the aggression that Caps played with. I'm sure they are ready for it tonight.

That's a shame because the whole Hockey universe outside of them was ready for it. That's Caps hockey, That's Playoff hockey. Its a battle of nutrition and the Bruins need to bring the battle to the caps. Initiate don't retaliate and they'll win this series.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
One thing I was always concerned about was this teams lack of physicality. We don’t have the guys that can grind down their top players like they do, and it seems like a majority of the top end players are getting targeted and it’s throwing them off their game.
If I could turn back time. lol

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Getting the first goal and not playing from behind is crucial. If the Bruins have to play catch-up again all night, it will be much harder than this has to be. I’m not sure the Bruins are good enough to “come back” against the Washington Hockey Team if they’re trailing in the third.

The Bruins need the lead.

And their leaders to step it up.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
If we try to beat Washington in the physical game we will lose. Hockey isn't that complicated, we just need to get to the front of the net and finish. Simple but hard to do. If our first line isn't interested in doing that well then that's an issue cause it's been about 4 straight series they are getting bullied. We'll see.

Game 1 loss
View attachment 434926

Reg season 6-3 win

View attachment 434925

I agree.

The Bruins used to try to beat the great Canadiens teams with physical play and intimidation. Montreal didn't try to match it, but they were tough enough to take it and use it against the Bruins. I'm not sure today's players are committed enough to go that route. Of course, the current Bruins aren't exactly the 1977 Canadiens either.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine

Game 1 loss
View attachment 434926

Reg season 6-3 win

View attachment 434925

Correct.

Bruins don't have to throw more big hits or be more physical than the Caps. We need to score more goals. Look at all the series the Bruins have lost to Montreal where they were the bigger, more physical team but would still end up losing.

There's all sorts of factors that go into winning a series and i think physicality, while needed, is so completely overrated by fans, especially this fanbase, because of who we are and where we come from.

I thought the Bruins were physical enough to win the other night but didn't do a great job around the net. Some of that is physicality, but that's mostly a willingness to crash the net and part luck finding a rebound ( example, Ritchie ).

Caps did a good job shutting down rushes while the Bruins defense did not. That's more positioning and gaps and forward pressure on puck carriers and than physicality.

In all my years of watching hockey, i feel the number one most understated factor in winning a close playoff game? Luck. It simply is. Nobody wants to say it, because it's easy to point out other things like shoot from the slot more, crash the net more, try harder, be more physical, be more clutch etc etc. We want to be able to quantify the problem with a solution rather than leave it up to chance.

Some of that luck is created by doing the right things on the ice or by simply having better talent. But I've watched too many close games over my life where my team wins or loses on *that* one lucky play that ends up being the difference and it just is what it is. Binnington's armpit sweater save on Marchand. Thomas stick save on Downie. Horton somehow finding the puck behind him and catching it clean. The list goes on and on.

Bruins and Caps last 8 playoff games: 8 games decieded by 1 goal, 5 of which have gone to OT.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Reading some of the posts....
Are we down 3-0 or 1-0?
Did we lose 3-2 in OT or 13-2 ?
Hard to tell.

Personally, the score doesn't matter much. Shouldn't matter to the team either. The loss still counts the same.

My concern is that the Bruins didn't seem to have any plan in place, no preparation, nada. Hopefully game 2 they correct this

Reactions: BMC
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->