Pre-Game Talk: EDSF Game 2 5/17 7:40 PM - Bruins look to tie up series - NESN, NBCSN, CBC, SN4K, TVAS, 98.5 WBZ-FM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

upload_2021-5-16_14-37-3.png

upload_2021-5-16_14-36-35.png

upload_2021-5-16_14-37-41.png

The Washington Capitals pulled out an unlikely victory in overtime against the visiting Boston Bruins in Game 1 of their first-round Eastern Conference playoff series Saturday night.

Washington had to overcome some big hurdles for the 3-2 win, and the host Capitals face more questions heading into Game 2 on Monday night.

Craig Anderson, who turns 40 this week, needed to relieve starter Vitek Vanecek in goal during the first period after the rookie appeared to hurt his leg -- the team called it a "lower-body injury." Ilya Samsonov, who has been alternating with Vanecek in net this season, had been on the COVID-19 protocol list for a second time and was pulled off of it Saturday but did not dress.

Pheonix Copley served as the third goalie for the Caps, but the veteran Anderson made 21 saves and gave up just one goal. Anderson was on the taxi squad most of the year and played in just four regular-season games.
Still, one of them was the season finale, a 2-1 overtime win over Philadelphia, something that Anderson said gave him a boost and helped him be ready when Vanecek suffered his injury in Game 1.

"Getting into that game at the end of the regular season there (was good)," said Anderson, "It had been a couple of months, and just to get that game I was able to stay a little fresh and jump start the engine there. It just reinforces the fact that you are one shot and one play away from being the guy in the net."

The Caps still have not said what Samsonov's situation will be in this series. Center Evgeny Kuznetsov was placed on the COVID-19 protocol list on May 4 and remains there, so his future remains even more in doubt. His absence forced T.J. Oshie to move from right wing to center, and he tallied two assists Saturday.

Washington's defense gave Anderson lots of help and played a strong game as Boston struggled to find good scoring chances. Anderson gave up a number of rebounds and loose pucks, but the Bruins could not convert enough of them.

"Give Washington credit; we couldn't escape pressure and find the open guy on the power play," Boston coach Bruce Cassidy said. "A lot of those guys who have been doing a lot of scoring for us just weren't able to get to their game tonight, or get the puck to cooperate or support each other enough to generate enough offense."

Jake DeBrusk scored with 6:50 left in the first period -- the play where Vanecek injured himself -- and that tied the game at 1-1.

Nick Ritchie scored a late second-period power-play goal that trickled through Anderson's pads to make it 2-2 before Nic Dowd tipped Oshie's shot past goalie Tuukka Rask at 4:41 of the overtime.

Rask finished with 29 stops as Washington kept the pressure on throughout.

Patrice Bergeron played in playoff game No. 150 for Boston, tying longtime Bruin and now Capitals defenseman Zdeno Chara in the No. 2 spot in team history. Ray Bourque leads that category with 180 games.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
They usually come back after a game like that so I expect a much better effort from the entire team.

Also, now they know the Caps game plan when it comes to neutralizing the Krejci line so I am confident they will step up tomorrow night.

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
B’s also need to stay out of the box. No way are they going to draw as many calls as they did last night. Don’t cry to the ref, just keep playing.
Definitely need to stay out of the box, but I don’t mind them sticking up for themselves when need be. I’d prefer them do it smartly for sure but can’t let the Caps push us around.

I predict they’ll poke the Ritchie Bear tomorrow and he’ll be a force physically.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
The Bruins play so much better when they are physically engaged, that was a sad effort in that respect last night. They played the Caps hard this season and beat them soundly when they brought their physical game. That is what they need to do from puck drop.

Come on boys, I believe in you, so take it to those dirty head hunters. The old days of losing to them is over....no Holtby in their heads. If Anderson is in, shoot shoot shoot.....he played three regular games this season and is basically at the end of his career.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
The Bruins play so much better when they are physically engaged, that was a sad effort in that respect last night. They played the Caps hard this season and beat them soundly when they brought their physical game. That is what they need to do from puck drop.

Come on boys, I believe in you, so take it to those dirty head hunters. The old days of losing to them is over....no Holtby in their heads. If Anderson is in, shoot shoot shoot.....he played three regular games this season and is basically at the end of his career.

Bruins defense had a combined 13 hits,...8 by Lauzon, Miller 3 and Mac 2

BRANDON CARLO ZERO HITS. In a play-off game, I kid you not.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Bruins were credited with 41 hits. Caps with 43.

Lauzon had 8, more than all the Caps D combined.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Bruins defense had a combined 13 hits,...8 by Lauzon, Miller 3 and Mac 2

BRANDON CARLO ZERO HITS. In a play-off game, I kid you not.
I was just going to make a thread on this. Can you imagine being the second biggest guy on the ice (only Chara is bigger) and yet at 6'5 227 you can find it in you to throw a hit when your teammates are getting lit up.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
in their series preview on Morning Bru, Billy & Razor felt that they should avoid waking Wilson up by having Frederic antagonize him and I disagreed at the time but even more so after game 1. This team is elite, but they can get caught sleepwalking. Going all the way back to the Lucic days, they play better when they're angry & have a chip on their shoulder. When the games are boring & vanilla that's when they get into trouble. I also don't like that Wilson came out and just played a rock solid hockey game with no funny business. The guy is a total psycho. It doesn't take much to drag him into a gutter war and get his mind off of playing hockey (Ovi too to a lesser extent). I think at a minimum you gotta get Frederic in there and have him start stirring shit up.

Also, it's clear that to get the most out of Marchand in the playoffs you need the games to be chippy. He hits another level when he's mad. The guy has made his whole career out of spite & proving people wrong. The spite & hate is what fuels him to be elite. Playing a good clean hockey game just leaves Marchand to overthink things and play passive. I truly believe this team is capable of winning a gutter war against the Caps. We've seen them dominate them in the regular season in nasty games. I think the Bruins are the better team, but they need to play with spite in their hearts. I say f*** it, stop avoiding this team's real nature. This team isn't as big or mean as the Caps but make no mistake, when they hate the other team they play to bury them, not just physically but mentally. They will want the other team to lose sleep over how bad they lost. They want to hurt the opposing team in their souls, but it has to get nasty first.

So I say stop avoiding the nasty stuff and start inviting it.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
I was just going to make a thread on this. Can you imagine being the second biggest guy on the ice (only Chara is bigger) and yet at 6'5 227 you can find it in you to throw a hit when your teammates are getting lit up.

He was on his ass all game. He must be still recovering

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad