Rumor: Edmonton / Toronto discussed “huge” Larsson deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
No - take a minute and read my post a few posts back. I said nothing of the sort.

You said Chiarelli wasn’t making decisions alone, despite reports to the contrary. Sure, fine. But if you believe that, and you’re posting in a thread rife with ‘Zaitsev has real value and Brown+Zaitsev is a reasonable package for Larsson’ takes, then surely you’re arguing that the Oilers would value Larsson much, much more highly than that.

Reactions: WilliamNylander

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
You said Chiarelli wasn’t making decisions alone, despite reports to the contrary. Sure, fine. But if you believe that, and you’re posting in a thread rife with ‘Zaitsev has real value and Brown+Zaitsev is a reasonable package for Larsson’ takes, then surely you’re arguing that the Oilers would value Larsson much, much more highly than that.
Again - no.
For the record, there is no 'huge deal' to be made with Connor Brown as the centrepiece.

Brown is under-valued league wide because of how low in this lineup he plays, but his value at the high end is a 2nd round pick.

Larsson for Brown does not happen. Ever.

You're taking the opinion of a few people that could be 15 year olds in the computer lab at their high school and painting the entire fanbase with that brush. It makes you just as stupid as the people with the ridiculous opinion.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
I still think Brown for a pick in the summer makes the most sense for both teams. Oilers can't take too much bad salary with Lucic there already.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Were you expecting Taylor Hall?

Connor Brown would be your 4th best winger and easily slot into the top 6 to play with McDavid. Then add on a #4D like Hainsey or Zaitsev on the right side and get a pick to help with the upcoming rebuild in Edmonton. Maybe another prospect going both ways to even it out, but I can't see much more than that.
It doesn't matter, where he slots in Edmontons lineup without changes. His value remains bottom 6 winger. Larsson would also be on the Leafs first pair as the RHD partner of Rielly. Does it make him equally valuable as Drew Doughty?

Placid Perspicuity

Apr 19, 2016
I'm not sure why Zaitsev is being named here so much. It seems much more likely that Gardiner would have been the D-man involved going the other way. A puck moving d-man could have been seen as a filling a need from the Oilers perspective.

We can speculate away at what may have been offered, but since the trade never happened, it could have been anything. Pushing the Zaitsev angle seems to be forcing a square peg into a round hole. Maybe Gardiner isn't the peg the Oilers need, but it would have been a better fit than Zaitsev.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Again - no.

You're taking the opinion of a few people that could be 15 year olds in the computer lab at their high school and painting the entire fanbase with that brush. It makes you just as stupid as the people with the ridiculous opinion.

So, yes, you do think your fellow Toronto fans are being ridiculous, and yes, you’re arguing exactly what I said. Great. But it seems like the overwhelming majority of the opinion amongst your fanbase is Larsson could be had for whatever spare junk is lying around, so frankly, the majority of you deserve to be painted with that brush - if not you specifically.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
So, yes, you do think your fellow Toronto fans are being ridiculous. Great. But it seems like the overwhelming majority of the opinion amongst your fanbase is Larsson could be had for whatever spare junk is lying around, so frankly, the majority of you deserve to be painted with that brush - if not you specifically.
The overwhelming majority of the fanbase = a few people on an internet message board.

Interesting :sarcasm:

I think we've figured out what the joke in all of this is. Spoiler: It's you.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Connor Brown has 5 goals in 62 games.

I repeat, Connor Brown has 5 goals in 62 games.

I again repeat, Connor Brown has 5 goals in 62 games.

Brown as a centerpiece for Larsson... ROFL.

Connor Brown had as many goalies in his rookie year playing 4th line minutes as Larsson has in his 500 game career

I repeat, Connor Brown had as many goalies in his rookie year playing 4th line minutes as Larsson has in his 500 game career

I again repeat, Connor Brown had as many goalies in his rookie year playing 4th line minutes as Larsson has in his 500 game career

See how silly this sounds?

DakrSnooze

Aug 27, 2011
Whitehorse
HAHAHAHAHA you are ridiculous. Leafs fans are the silliest people when it comes to roster evaluation. It's like you guys think there are no other NHL teams except yours

To be fair there are a tonne of Edmonton fans who are ridiculous with their evaluations too. Every fan base has them but Toronto and Edmonton seem to have some of the worst. Obviously both teams have intelligent fans, but they seem to get drowned out by the silly ones.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Connor Brown had as many goalies in his rookie year playing 4th line minutes as Larsson has in his 500 game career

I repeat, Connor Brown had as many goalies in his rookie year playing 4th line minutes as Larsson has in his 500 game career

I again repeat, Connor Brown had as many goalies in his rookie year playing 4th line minutes as Larsson has in his 500 game career

It does sound silly because you keep using the word "goalies".

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
I'm not sure why Zaitsev is being named here so much. It seems much more likely that Gardiner would have been the D-man involved going the other way.
Why would Edmonton add a rental being out of the PO? The cap crunch is even worse than in Toronto, so most likely they couldn't pay him, what he will ask for.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
FWIW, Chris Johnston said on the radio yesterday morning that while the Leafs were telling people publicly they were going to be quiet, multiple other sources were saying they were talking about a big deal, and hopefully get the top 4 RD.

So while Murphy is awful, it's not out of the question.

I'm just wondering why it was so huge and complex. Larsson is a second pairing guy. Brown is a third liner. Seems like something where TOR would add in a draft pick or prospect, or both and get it done.

No. Oilers get the better forward asset and we add the pick with Larsson. We've downgraded our talent enough over the past few years. I'd like to think that Keith Gretzky would be smart enough to put a stop to that crap, though he doesn't yet have much of a track-record as GM so it's impossible to say for sure. But that's why I'd guess the deal didn't go through: The Leafs weren't willing to pay that price.

Reasonably young top-4 Dmen with term and a good salary aren't cheap to acquire, don't kid yourself Leaf fans. Brown shouldn't even get the ball rolling, objectively speaking.

Brown: a 3rd liner with 5 goals on season
Larsson: a young, RHD top-4 Dmen with quite good term and salary. Can play top-pairing and not look out of place with a decent partner that meshes well with his style (such is the case with Klefbom or Sekera -- after Klefbom went down his +/- plummeted because Nurse is too similar in style and is generally too stupid of a player).

They're not even in the same stratosphere in terms of value.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

It does sound silly because you keep using the word "goalies".

It also sounds silly because for some reason, comparing "goalies" scored seems acceptable when the comparison is depth forward vs top 4 shut down defenseman.

Reactions: Big Daddy Cane

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

It sounds silly because you said goalies three times instead of goals :laugh:

Reactions: Big Daddy Cane

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Serious Question;

Of the trades the Oilers management have made in the last 3 or 4 years, how many would you have "seen" them doing?

Just off the top of my head, Talbot to the Oilers and Eberle for Strome were seen from miles away. Although I'm not sure what the relevance is.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
deal fell through because Larsson would easily be the best player in the deal and because of that the Oilers were looking to cap dump a couple of bad contracts for this year and next year aka Manning, Petrovic

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I think. Brown + Hainsey would go to EDM with picks/prospects.

Larsson + pick/prospects to TOR

The pick/prospect exchanges was probably to complicated to work out on deadline day.
Probably because there aren't enough 1sts in the world to balance it out.

Placid Perspicuity

Apr 19, 2016
Why would Edmonton add a rental being out of the PO? The cap crunch is even worse than in Toronto, so most likely they couldn't pay him, what he will ask for.

I'm just speculating, like everyone else. Maybe they felt they could re-sign Jake, and the deal fell through when they couldn't talk to him first?

All I'm saying is that, like many people here, Zaitsev doesn't seem to make sense to me. There's a bit more logic involved with Gardiner because of his puck moving abilities being a needed skill for the Oilers. Maybe you feel the value is off, which is fine, but to me, it makes much more sense than trying to shoehorn Zaitsev into the deal.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
I could see a package based around Brown and Liljegren for Larsson. Maybe another team was involved who would take Zaitsev. He would have to go if the Leafs get Larsson. Probably something that gets re-visited in the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad