Rumor: Edmonton / Toronto discussed “huge” Larsson deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Larsson is literally the perfect fit for Toronto. He's the exact guy they need for Rielly.

But a deal with Brown as the center piece? Helll nah. Only way we'd move our only good RD is if we got a stupid package back. Like Liljegren + Kapanen + Brown + Hainsey for Larsson and a smallish +.

Reactions: Cardiac Jerks

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
Awful

Aaaand even worse...

Lets assume the center piece of the deal is Brown. What else added makes it fair value while making sense cap wise?

Zaitsev has to be in there, and then a pick to balance out the value I guess.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
If the deal was very complex/had a lot moving parts, maybe the Leafs wanted to move Gardiner for another player, and then send that player to edmonton on top of whatever they were already sending. Idk, im just guessing it was something like that.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Larsson is literally the perfect fit for Toronto. He's the exact guy they need for Rielly.

But a deal with Brown as the center piece? Helll nah. Only way we'd move our only good RD is if we got a stupid package back. Like Liljegren + Kapanen + Brown + Zaitsev for Larsson and a small +.

If they decide they want Larsson then brace yourself. You’re going to be seeing a lot of great offers like that. Blues and canes fans can attest to this.

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
It concerns me that Larsson's name was even out there. I think adding one more top 4 guy to Klef, Larsson and Nurse could form a solid, young d-core. Probably not top 10, but serviceable enough.

Reactions: WilliamNylander

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Lets assume the center piece of the deal is Brown. What else added makes it fair value while making sense cap wise?

If you want Zaitsev in there it's gonna take a lot.

Liljegren + Kapanen + Brown + Zaitsev for Larsson + Kassian

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002

Zaitsev can’t be in there. That’s the problem.

Reactions: 780il

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
It concerns me that Larsson's name was even out there. I think adding one more top 4 guy to Klef, Larsson and Nurse could form a solid, young d-core. Probably not top 10, but serviceable enough.

Depending on who it is, that could easily be a top 10 D core. Klef is legit when healthy.

razkaz

Oct 3, 2013
"too many moving parts" sounds like a 3rd team was involved. Maybe they were trying to dump Hainsey/Gardiner for a pick that would be added to Brown?

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
If the story is to be believed (and I'm not sure it is) they were probably talking about Toronto taking on Lucic's contract to some extent. That's the only reason any such deal would have been too "complex" to pull off. Or it could have been one of those deals where Toronto acquires Lucic, and then trades him to a third party while retaining a portion of the contract.

Again though doubt that it happened.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
So, we are given the facts:

-"Huge" deal
-Complex deal
-Many moving pieces
-Brown is ONE of the pieces
-the trade did not happen

Logical conclusion: It was probably Brown plus a 7th defenseman. This is verifiable proof that Brown has the value to land a top 4 defenseman on his own

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The crappy thing for other teams is while you may have negotiated something the past few days with the Oilers there really isn't much guarantee it will be there come the off-season.

Not sure why Gretzky himself said they laid a lot of groundwork.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad