Rumor: Edmonton / Toronto discussed “huge” Larsson deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
With Brown one of the pieces heading back to Edmonton.

Jimmy Murphy tweeted it out and Lowetide in Edmonton talking about it on the radio as well. Deal fell through because it was huge, complex, with many moving pieces.

As an Oiler fan, Toronto would need to have a lot more on the table than just Brown to make it in any way worthwhile for us to blow up our right side.

Joel Ward

Sep 24, 2012
Toronto
I think Larsson would be a great add for the Leafs, but I can't imagine what that deal would've looked like.

Reactions: BHD

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
FWIW, Chris Johnston said on the radio yesterday morning that while the Leafs were telling people publicly they were going to be quiet, multiple other sources were saying they were talking about a big deal, and hopefully get the top 4 RD.

So while Murphy is awful, it's not out of the question.

I'm just wondering why it was so huge and complex. Larsson is a second pairing guy. Brown is a third liner. Seems like something where TOR would add in a draft pick or prospect, or both and get it done.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Maybe it was Zaitsev and Brown for Larsson, but the Leafs did not want to do it until the draft and lose a net roster player before the playoffs.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Larsson makes ~4.16 million until 2021.

It would've have to be Zaitsev in the deal.

But then why would the oilers do that unless they're getting something worthwhile back.

Was liljegren in this deal?

Seems weird

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
FWIW, Chris Johnston said on the radio yesterday morning that while the Leafs were telling people publicly they were going to be quiet, multiple other sources were saying they were talking about a big deal, and hopefully get the top 4 RD.

So while Murphy is awful, it's not out of the question.

I'm just wondering why it was so huge and complex. Larsson is a second pairing guy. Brown is a third liner. Seems like something where TOR would add in a draft pick or prospect, or both and get it done.

A 2nd pairing RHD is worth significantly more than a third line winger. It would have been a lot bigger because of the hole blown in the Oilers defence. It would need to be made much more worth Edmonton’s while.

And no, we don’t want Zaitsev. If you want to send Zaitsev over you’re taking Lucic back.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
A 2nd pairing RHD is worth significantly more than a third line winger. It would have been a lot bigger because of the hole blown in the Oilers defence. It would need to be made much more worth Edmonton’s while.

And no, we don’t want Zaitsev. If you want to send Zaitsev over you’re taking Lucic back.

What else would you give on Lucic, and how much are you retaining?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

It was reported Ryan Rishaug (sp?) that EDM wanted to trade Matt Benning for Connor Brown.

Maybe Dubas countered with Brown for Larsson sarcastically?

Reactions: Brock Radunske

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018

Would Zaitsev + Brown for Larsson have even worked with your cap? Doesnt seem like it

I could maybe see Brown + Hainsey + high pick/prospect but the third piece would need to be very tantalizing

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
That isn't "probable" from an Edmonton perspective.
Fair. Maybe that's why it didn't go through.
I don't see what else the Leafs would be willing to part with for Larsson though. Maybe one of Kapanen or Johnsson but once you add Brown, it feels like an overpay from TO.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Would Zaitsev + Brown for Larsson have even worked with your cap? Doesnt seem like it

I could maybe see Brown + Hainsey + high pick/prospect but the third piece would need to be very tantalizing

That's interesting. Liljegren + hainsey + brown for Larsson and Benning?

Zaitsev is a non starter here, and Brown by himself doesn't work cap wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad