Rumor: Edmonton / Toronto discussed “huge” Larsson deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
Lets assume the center piece of the deal is Brown. What else added makes it fair value while making sense cap wise?

Zaitsev has to be in there, and then a pick to balance out the value I guess.

If the center piece of the deal is Brown thenthe Oilers should hang up. Brown would be an add on not the main piece.

Reactions: Cogburn

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Not saying the Oilers would "want" Hainsey. But he's an expiring deal, and in there to make the $ work, and he's someone the Oilers can plug in until the end of the season.

Also, Hainsey is solid. Don't play him on your top pairing like Babcock does, and you'll be pleasantly surprised.

If TOR was going to acquire another d-man in season, like in this scenario, Hainsey was going the other way, unless it's Zaitsev. Someone would have to.

So I agree Zaitsev doesn't make sense in EDM, but Hainsey for the remainder of the year would've.

Maybe part of the huge and complicated part was EDM/TOR looking for a team for EDM to flip Hainsey too.

We all don't know ****.

We don’t, but we CAN infer, and looking at our roster makeup I can’t rightly see the Oilers losing Larsson and replacing him with Hainsey without massive reasons to do so - significantly more than Connor Brown.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Oh God, it is the two biggest fanbases for seriously overrating their players. This should get entertaining.

Of the players the Oilers have traded away, who have we overvalued?

We said we wanted Hamonic for Eberle. We were laughed at, and got Strome.

In hindsight, was Eberle worth Hamonic? I think so.

Hall was untouchable, and if we DID trade him, we wanted a Legit #1 Right Shot Dman. Seth Jones, or Parayko. We got Larsson. Then we were repeatedly told Hall is only worth a 2nd pairing guy like Larsson. That was universally considered one of the worst trades of the past decade.

So what was the value of Hall? We still think he is worth a #1 Right shot Dman.

I think Oiler fans fairly evaluate their players, but when we get fleeced, it gets thrown in our face how wrong we were on value... and then we're told we were absolutely destroyed in the trade, adn should have gotten the value we believed we should have gotten for them.

So who is it that we've overvalued?

We wanted fair market value for most of our players, and RARELY ever got it. That reflects more poorly on our GM than the fans.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Connor Brown has 5 goals in 62 games.

I repeat, Connor Brown has 5 goals in 62 games.

I again repeat, Connor Brown has 5 goals in 62 games.

Brown as a centerpiece for Larsson... ROFL.

Yes, but we are throwing in Zaitsev and his attractive contract on top of it. Maybe even a 2nd, maybe.

Reactions: Big Daddy Cane

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
We don’t, but we CAN infer, and looking at our roster makeup I can’t rightly see the Oilers losing Larsson and replacing him with Hainsey without massive reasons to do so - significantly more than Connor Brown.

Serious Question;

Of the trades the Oilers management have made in the last 3 or 4 years, how many would you have "seen" them doing?

Reactions: BHD and LeafChief

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Serious Question;

Of the trades the Oilers management have made in the last 3 or 4 years, how many would you have "seen" them doing?

You saw where we fired that idiot, right?

Edmonton made a lot of truly stupid trades in the last four years, but hopefully that’s over and done with. Also consider you’re dealing with the Fanbase here - that would have done a lot better job of running this team than management did.

Should we judge the Leafs by the JFJ era?

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Larsson makes ~4.16 million until 2021.

It would've have to be Zaitsev in the deal.

But then why would the oilers do that unless they're getting something worthwhile back.

Was liljegren in this deal?

Seems weird

This deal is weird. If Zaitsev would have to be in the deal, then a negative contract from the Oilers would need to be included as well, and that just makes it even harder cap wise. So, let's say that it's Larsson and a negative or neutral value large contract (Sekera at best, Lucic at worst), then that would mean that the Leafs would need to include another sizeable player as well, like Gardiner or something - but then there would need to be a LOT of either cheap depth forwards, or futures, as the Oilers would be moving Larsson for nothing that helps long term - its just so complex that I am not suprised that it couldn't get done at the deadline. Brown would certainly not be the main piece, Brown is the + in a deal for Larsson.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Larsson + Lucic for Brown + Zaitsev....

Who adds? I think Larsson is clearly the best asset, Brown clearly the 2nd best, Zaitsev clearly the 3rd best, and Lucic clearly the worst...

Apologies in advance if this post leads to all-out war :sarcasm:
Adding Lucic would mean Kapanen/Johnsson or Nylander or Marner have to go in the summer. For sure a no go for the Leafs. Probably even, when EDM adds their 1st unprotected, which should be a no go for the Oilers.

There is NO deal between EDM and TOR.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
If you think Chiarelli was running that ship, solo, you've got more surprises heading your way.

It took Brenden Shanahan firing EVERYONE for this team to turn things around.

Changing GM's doesn't change a whole lot if everyone else is still there.
MacTavish and Lowe are somehow still employed are they not? Wild to say the least.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I guess we are to assume that Chiarelli made all decisions on his own and didn't consult the rest of the people that are still employed.

For the most part, absolutely. He had the POHO and GM title. If he didn’t want to listen to anyone else, he didn’t have to - and going onnwhats being reported, he had nearly complete autonomy through the first few years.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
For the most part, absolutely. He had the POHO and GM title. If he didn’t want to listen to anyone else, he didn’t have to - and going onnwhats being reported, he had nearly complete autonomy through the first few years.
Ah, so in that situation we need to believe 'what's being reported'.

But not in the case of this thread that you created.

Reactions: BHD

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
In what world is Zaitsev a top 4 d-man?
Zaitsev is fine as a #4. He is in a position to fail here unfortunately as he is not used properly by Babcock, and he plays much better away from Jake Gardiner yet Babcock insists on pairing the two together.

He doesn't fit the Leafs system but he has good tools and could be quite useful on another team IMO.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I love the Oilers fans acting like they're going to hit a homerun in a trade for Connor Brown.

Ya, that's the problem here. Very helpful, good analysis. Nothing to do with throwing Zaitsev's contract in there as a "sweetner" and suggesting Brown as the center piece. LOL.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Ah, so in that situation we need to believe 'what's being reported'.

But not in the case of this thread that you created.

So your logic is Edmonton would be willing to take massive discounted offers for the guy we wildly overpaid for because... the mindset hasn’t changed among the group that decided to wildly overpay for him?

If you think nothing has changed with Chiarelli gone, then we should be asking for Marner.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
That part was OK. I'm going to guess it was those serious offers that included Zaitsev that derailed the conversation.

I tend to agree.

I do think HF is a lot tougher on his value than NHL management teams are, but that's another story. Given Oilers cap situation, Zaitsev doesn't make sense there.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
HAHAHAHAHA you are ridiculous. Leafs fans are the silliest people when it comes to roster evaluation. It's like you guys think there are no other NHL teams except yours

Were you expecting Taylor Hall?

Connor Brown would be your 4th best winger and easily slot into the top 6 to play with McDavid. Then add on a #4D like Hainsey or Zaitsev on the right side and get a pick to help with the upcoming rebuild in Edmonton. Maybe another prospect going both ways to even it out, but I can't see much more than that.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
So your logic is Edmonton would be willing to take massive discounted offers for the guy we wildly overpaid for because... the mindset hasn’t changed among the group that decided to wildly overpay for him?

If you think nothing has changed with Chiarelli gone, then we should be asking for Marner.
No - take a minute and read my post a few posts back. I said nothing of the sort.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Hmm im thinking it was something like Brown+Whatever the leafs could get for Gardiner +Another leafs pick for Larsson+Rattie (Or one of the other forward like Chiasson/Rieder/Kassian)

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I tend to agree.

I do think HF is a lot tougher on his value than NHL management teams are, but that's another story. Given Oilers cap situation, Zaitsev doesn't make sense there.

Zaitsev would be OK if he earned about $1.0 - $1.5 m/yr less and you could knock off a couple of years of term.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad