Rumor: Edmonton / Toronto discussed “huge” Larsson deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
The deal was Benning for Brown, the fourth line RW with 5 goals, whose role has diminished with the emergence of Kasperi Kapanen. It or something like it will probably happen in the summer.

Why is this thread a thing? I thought Jimmy Murphy tweets were banned. His stuff is always bogus.

Reactions: KarmaPolice

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
The deal was Benning for Brown, the fourth line RW with 5 goals, whose role has diminished with the emergence of Kasperi Kapanen. It or something like it will probably happen in the summer.

Why is this thread a thing? I thought Jimmy Murphy tweets were banned. His stuff is always bogus.

I can almost guarantee Benning for Brown will not happen.

I can see Brown going to EDM for a pick or two. (or maybe a trade up scenario)

Reactions: Brock Radunske

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Edmonton has no cap space. Toronto has cap space, but doesn't want to use it because they don't want the bonuses for Matthews and Marner to roll over into next year's cap. So likely, the money in and out would need to be very close to make it work. Other than Brown and possibly Zaitsev (assuming Edmonton would agree to take him), who else might have been available off the Toronto roster?

If it was Brown and Hyman + picks and prospects, then Toronto is left with 12 forwards and 9 dmen.

Maybe it was Brown and Hainsey, but Hainsey has a 15 team NTC. Maybe he was asked to waive and he wouldn't.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I could see a package based around Brown and Liljegren for Larsson. Maybe another team was involved who would take Zaitsev. He would have to go if the Leafs get Larsson. Probably something that gets re-visited in the summer.
Liljegren doesn't really entice the Oilers to do anything. They currently have a lot of depth at RD in their system--two of which are turning pro next season.

nzoilerfan

May 18, 2011
Oilers won't move larsson unless they're getting a top six winger back in the deal - Could have been Oil adding to it to get one of the better wingers that TO won't be able to afford soon. Look forward to seeing what develops over the draft period.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Just off the top of my head, Talbot to the Oilers and Eberle for Strome were seen from miles away. Although I'm not sure what the relevance is.
Spooner for Gagner.

And if you dig real deep back to McDavid's rookie season, there are posters who foresaw us likely having to trade 'the big three' at poor value to do anything significant to improve the defense. It's almost as if people knew how poorly scoring wingers are valued on the NHL trade market.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Liljegren doesn't really entice the Oilers to do anything. They currently have a lot of depth at RD in their system--two of which are turning pro next season.

I wouldn’t necessarily call Bouchard-Bear-Persson-Berglund (and Marino/Kesselring/Desharnais) a *lot* of depth, but I do agree I don’t see Liljegren as overly enticing considering the Condors are spectacular already.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
Brown + 2nd for Larsson

Larsson is actually a very good defenceman, just stunted and broken down emotionally from playing on crap teams his whole NHL career.

In the WC he looked as good or better than several high tier defencemen, like OEL and Klingberg.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
LOL, Toronto fans hear that Toronto is interested in Larsson and the Oilers are interested in Brown and they think that was the basis for a deal, with add-ons like Zaitsev? Good god, children. Use your brains.

Toronto came calling on Larsson and when Edmonton asked for fair value that addressed their needs - i.e. established scoring wingers - Toronto either wasn't interested in moving big pieces at this time of year or couldn't get the "replacement" players needed from a 3rd team (e.g. Ferland).

The Oilers say, well if you're still in the hunt for an RHD, you can have Benning and we'll take Brown off your hands. Toronto says they need to go big or go home when it comes to a RHD, so that doesn't make sense right now.

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
With Brown one of the pieces heading back to Edmonton.

Jimmy Murphy tweeted it out and Lowetide in Edmonton talking about it on the radio as well. Deal fell through because it was huge, complex, with many moving pieces.

As an Oiler fan, Toronto would need to have a lot more on the table than just Brown to make it in any way worthwhile for us to blow up our right side.

...and it's a complete fabrication.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
larsson is a nice #4 dman.

would have been sweet to get him for Brown+Zaitsev.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Were you expecting Taylor Hall?

Connor Brown would be your 4th best winger and easily slot into the top 6 to play with McDavid. Then add on a #4D like Hainsey or Zaitsev on the right side and get a pick to help with the upcoming rebuild in Edmonton. Maybe another prospect going both ways to even it out, but I can't see much more than that.

I love it when people say shit like this. It completely ignores the fact that Edmonton is not forced to move Larsson and even if they wanted to move Larsson, wouldn't be forced to only trade with Toronto.

The fact that Brown would be Edmonton's 4th best winger is all the more reason not to move Larsson for this junk.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
...and it's a complete fabrication.

Not necessarily. There’s absolutely smoke around the Oilers wanting Brown, but I think Edmonton offered Benning straight across and Toronto countered with Brown ++ for Larsson and a short term dump. Obviously Edmonton isn’t jettisoning Larsson for anything centred around Connor Brown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad