News and Blog Report: Edmonton Sports Radio Thread - Part 6

OilersSnowFan

Aug 27, 2019
penticton
globalnews.ca
Anybody else listen to hour 2 of the Lowetide show today? Just catching up on listening to podcasts and I heard Tyler Yaremchuk tell Lowetide that he heard from people inside the Oilers organization (that were in the room) that Taylor Hall was a bad teammate.

Listen here at 20:45......
The Lowdown w/ Lowetide: February 17: Hour 2

Bob has hinted at that before on his show

Reactions: guymez

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Nonsense conspiracy theories and exaggerations aside, it was said even at the time that the Oilers dressing room was pretty clique-y. That if you weren't at the cool kids table, you were uncomfortable.

The thing you need to square with if you're going to hold that against an individual forever is that Nuge was at that table.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Gazzola has somewhat denied the Taylor Hall problems multiple times. At least the extent of it being a locker room problem.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Nonsense conspiracy theories and exaggerations aside, it was said even at the time that the Oilers dressing room was pretty clique-y. That if you weren't at the cool kids table, you were uncomfortable.

The thing you need to square with if you're going to hold that against an individual forever is that Nuge was at that table.

What nonsense conspiracy theories are you referring to?
Quite often when that phrase is thrown around its to try and discredit some valid info so I am genuinely curious here.

Last edited:
Reactions: BlueCheeseWithWings

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005

Well said.

I have to wonder why this tired old topic is even being raised again. Is there anything about the ‘Taylor Hall is a bad team mate’ theory that hasn’t been beaten to death on this board?

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Does anybody else have issues playing TSN 1260 podcasts?
Half the time the Lowetide podcasts don't work and today I wanted to listen to Nielsen's podcasts while I work and not one of the hourly ones work.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Half the time the Lowetide podcasts don't work and today I wanted to listen to Nielsen's podcasts while I work and not one of the hourly ones work.

Absolutely.
They appear to load on the webpage but they wont play. I have tried multiple browsers...doesnt help. So it isnt a browser issue.
I have found the 1260 TSN web management overall to be so poor that i have given up on it all together.
Podcast sometimes exist...sometimes play.

Hell I think it was last year when I emailed the webmaster because the Don Wheaten Post game show was a year and a half out of date.
They seem to have embraced this sub par standard when it comes to quality control and dont seem to care enough to address it.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Absolutely.
They appear to load on the webpage but they wont play. I have tried multiple browsers...doesnt help. So it isnt a browser issue.
I have found the 1260 TSN web management overall to be so poor that i have given up on it all together.
Podcast sometimes exist...sometimes play.

Hell I think it was last year when I emailed the webmaster because the Don Wheaten Post game show was a year and a half out of date.
They seem to have embraced this sub par standard when it comes to quality control and dont seem to care enough to address it.

Same here. I thought at first it was my browser (I listen on ear plugs from my phone) so I tried different browsers on my computer as well and the podcast didn't move off of 0:00.
Oddly enough, the guest (Seravelli, Rishaug) podcasts worked just fine.

The Nielsen podcasts almost always work, it's the Lowetide ones that are hit or miss but today, no Nielsen either.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Same here. I thought at first it was my browser (I listen on ear plugs from my phone) so I tried different browsers on my computer as well and the podcast didn't move off of 0:00.
Oddly enough, the guest (Seravelli, Rishaug) podcasts worked just fine.

The Nielsen podcasts almost always work, it's the Lowetide ones that are hit or miss but today, no Nielsen either.

Thats been my experience too. Its hit and miss.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
Although Gregor is not my favorite, he will have Serevalli (who I think is a know it all blowhard) on his show to argue about the penalty in OT last night at 2:20 according to Twitter

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I have had a hard time listening to oiler media ever since i gained access to alternative shows from other markets...

that said when im in the car and stuck to the radio I must listen locally... I will share some of my thoughts.

john short and bryan hall were the guys I grew up on... they would never survive in today's world but they had their little family type shows which was good for their loyal listeners. they deserve their spot in the local hall of fame

the Gregor show has to get some props for all the great charity and community work Gregor does. I dont know of another sports show I listen to that comes close to competing. sadly, Gregor only entertains me around 10% of the time. I dont think he is capable of changing to suit me. maybe a better selection of guests might marginally help but I just cant listen to the show

the tsn 1260 lunch show is so bad I cant even both trying to remember the hosts name. I used to like stauffer when he was doing this time slow. the show has been unlistenable ever since he moved. I think the ONLY solution for me would be to get a new host.

I find the morning show was better with 2 hosts. fraiser was a real ass I thought and I was happy when he was fired but nielson is better with a partner. when they used to have chase doing the show with him I actually didnt mind that. I might actually give tencer another chance at a regular gig and hire him to co-host with nielson.

I found the last night shows horrible since I guess Gregor moved into the afternoon? he actually was a bit better when he was first starting off with his way more sports show. its too bad because the john short show was an evening staple and I got used to expecting a late night show. thank god for podcasts I guess these days

by far the best 1260 show is lowtide… but even he has dropped in quality over the last couple years. I think its mostly his guests arent as good now.

the best Edmonton show is still staufer's show as long as the segment doesnt have a guest I cant stand. staufer is the most knowledgable and connected talking head. he is a bit too much kiss ass to the company line and he definitely is annoying with all the commericals… but if I want to listen to Edmonton radio this is the show

less said about the ched evening show the better

its really too bad because I listen to at least 50 hours of sports talk a week and id like to have an Edmonton show I could support for some of that time.

Reactions: gordonhught

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
I have had a hard time listening to oiler media ever since i gained access to alternative shows from other markets...

that said when im in the car and stuck to the radio I must listen locally... I will share some of my thoughts.

john short and bryan hall were the guys I grew up on... they would never survive in today's world but they had their little family type shows which was good for their loyal listeners. they deserve their spot in the local hall of fame

the Gregor show has to get some props for all the great charity and community work Gregor does. I dont know of another sports show I listen to that comes close to competing. sadly, Gregor only entertains me around 10% of the time. I dont think he is capable of changing to suit me. maybe a better selection of guests might marginally help but I just cant listen to the show

the tsn 1260 lunch show is so bad I cant even both trying to remember the hosts name. I used to like stauffer when he was doing this time slow. the show has been unlistenable ever since he moved. I think the ONLY solution for me would be to get a new host.

I find the morning show was better with 2 hosts. fraiser was a real ass I thought and I was happy when he was fired but nielson is better with a partner. when they used to have chase doing the show with him I actually didnt mind that. I might actually give tencer another chance at a regular gig and hire him to co-host with nielson.

I found the last night shows horrible since I guess Gregor moved into the afternoon? he actually was a bit better when he was first starting off with his way more sports show. its too bad because the john short show was an evening staple and I got used to expecting a late night show. thank god for podcasts I guess these days

by far the best 1260 show is lowtide… but even he has dropped in quality over the last couple years. I think its mostly his guests arent as good now.

the best Edmonton show is still staufer's show as long as the segment doesnt have a guest I cant stand. staufer is the most knowledgable and connected talking head. he is a bit too much kiss ass to the company line and he definitely is annoying with all the commericals… but if I want to listen to Edmonton radio this is the show

less said about the ched evening show the better

its really too bad because I listen to at least 50 hours of sports talk a week and id like to have an Edmonton show I could support for some of that time.

On the drive home I listen to 960 out of Calgary. Better content.

Night and day difference between what is on Gregor's show.

Gregor would never survive in a market where there was some sports related competition to his show.

Reactions: guymez

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I end up on a typical day listening to...

usually leafs lunch first hour to start my day... its on tv

then hockey central out of Toronto for the second hour... again its on tv

for my lunch hour I can often get the habs lunch on tsn... love how crazy psycho those emotional hosts are... its batshit crazy but its good fun... specially when the team is struggling :)

moving into the afternoon I could try to find lowtide on the podcast so I can just get the good stuff and skip the drag...

I often will listen to some of the Calgary afternoon show

the overdrive show out of Toronto is ok in limited doses... but those guys can be a little repetitive if you get too much of their schitk

then im quite a huge fan of the supper hour shows on tsn and sportsnet tv

if I have extra time to listen to more... I will catch the podcast out of Vancouver for their lunch show on sports net. I might go cherry pick some interviews with the top insiders...

I like catching the 3-4 good boston podcasts each week

the overall competition quality of the Edmonton market shows just isnt that competitive unless you are an oiler fan and desperate for oiler content

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009

for my lunch hour I can often get the habs lunch on tsn... love how crazy psycho those emotional hosts are... its batshit crazy but its good fun... specially when the team is struggling :)

moving into the afternoon I could try to find lowtide on the podcast so I can just get the good stuff and skip the drag...

the overdrive show out of Toronto is ok in limited doses... but those guys can be a little repetitive if you get too much of their schitk

if I have extra time to listen to more... I will catch the podcast out of Vancouver for their lunch show on sports net. I might go cherry pick some interviews with the top insiders...

the overall competition quality of the Edmonton market shows just isnt that competitive unless you are an oiler fan and desperate for oiler content

Back in the day I would listen to the WEEI coming out of Boston. Glen Ordway and "The Whiner Line". That is what you call professional sports talk radio.

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
It's great listening to podcasts later in the day. Cuts the commercials out and you can listen to it at a faster speed if you wish. You get what you want at a fraction of the time.

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton

New guy filling in for Yaremchuk not making them available. I usually use Soundcloud to download Lowetide's podcast, Podbean has them up though.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

So...when do you work? Eat? Have any kind of a social life?;)

Reactions: Gunnersaurus Rex

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad