News and Blog Report: Edmonton Sports Radio Thread - Part 6

Morpheus

nuckin’ futz
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2007
Oak Island - Lot #32
For the record Dusty, I love your show just the way it is and it gets me through those first three work hours.

Tell J'mo to ditch Bruce Arthur as a guest and I might sit through his show too ;)

Inside the Nation podcasts are excellent as well...need moar of them (daily)

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Or maybe talk more about hockey. Just sayin'.

When there's hockey talk to be done, I feel like Nielson's show is like 75% that. You have some 5-10 minute buffer segments with Small Town Tuesday, Eric's power rankings, the brackets, etc but 7-10 in particular are mostly hockey talk.

I don't care for many other sports, and definitely not NFL (which I feel is the clear #2 on his show), but I think the mix is great.

barry halls

Nov 13, 2018
I will join the chorus of people saying Jack Michaels seems like a good guy who’s passionate about hockey, but he also needs to get his shit together and start actually calling games. I listen to the call on 630ched when I’m stuck commuting and want to hear what’s happening on the ice, not some obscure fact about a game that took place 20 years ago. Might as well just get an app that alerts you when either team scores because Jack doesn’t really provide play-by-play.

Reactions: madmutter and jmco

OfCorsiDid

Ah shit, here we go again
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
I will join the chorus of people saying Jack Michaels seems like a good guy who’s passionate about hockey, but he also needs to get his **** together and start actually calling games. I listen to the call on 630ched when I’m stuck commuting and want to hear what’s happening on the ice, not some obscure fact about a game that took place 20 years ago. Might as well just get an app that alerts you when either team scores because Jack doesn’t really provide play-by-play.

Use the NHL app and select the other team’s feed...

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Well, after taking a couple months off I decided to listen to the Oilers Now podcast. I had grown sick of the broken record that is Bob Stauffer. I put on his segment with Spec, after listening to 10 minutes all they talked about was the 80s Oilers.

Nothing's changed. And Strudwick is in charge for a couple weeks on Gregor's show.

Back to Spitting Chiclets and Lowdown I guess

hyster110

Mar 21, 2011
Well, after taking a couple months off I decided to listen to the Oilers Now podcast. I had grown sick of the broken record that is Bob Stauffer. I put on his segment with Spec, after listening to 10 minutes all they talked about was the 80s Oilers.

Nothing's changed. And Strudwick is in charge for a couple weeks on Gregor's show.

Back to Spitting Chiclets and Lowdown I guess

how did you get a spec segment, they soiled the sheets for the last month and havent podcasted all the good interviews.

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
I know this is a pipe dream...but in the RARE, rare event that TSN ever wrestles away the Oilers rights from Corus, I'd love to see Bryan Mudryk (former CTV Edmonton sports anchor) get the play-by-play gig here.

Reminds me of a cross between Rod Phillips and 2006 Jim Hughson...

His call on the GWG gives me some serious goosebumps.

Reactions: guymez

Daryls Friend

May 14, 2017
how did you get a spec segment, they soiled the sheets for the last month and havent podcasted all the good interviews.
Overcast is far better on an iPhone than the Apple app. It works flawlessly. The Apple app is garbage. Last I remember (which is why I quit it, plus it was clunky) was you couldn't even make what amounts to a playlist ie queue

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
The Oilers are by far the biggest sports story in the city and they play the biggest hockey game in the last few years and TSN 1260 doesnt even bother to have a post game show.
That is inexcusable.

Reactions: Moreaupheus

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
There was a POST game show with Gazzola and he had Matt Kassian on, like usual.

I stand corrected....thanks for the clarification.
I looked for the podcast (first time around 1:00 AM then again around 11:00 AM) but wasnt able to find it.

There have been a few times where there wasnt a Post game show (not sure why that would ever happen) so I thought this was another one of those times.

Trizent

Mar 4, 2005
Oil Country
Podcast not up yet. Need to be more timely and professional. These aren't evergreen.

I think odd time no postgame if oil kings game conflicts.

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Podcast not up yet. Need to be more timely and professional. These aren't evergreen.

I think odd time no postgame if oil kings game conflicts.

No kidding.
Nothing says unprofessional like having to wait 2/3 days to listen to a Post game podcast.

This isnt a new problem for 1260 either. Its to the point that you dont even know if they had a post game show or if they just havent bothered to put up the podcast.
Total 180 degree difference from CHED.

CM4

Oct 31, 2013
Edmonton
Is this the last year for 630 ched broadcast rights? And if it is, would TSN have a good chance at getting it?

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
Is this the last year for 630 ched broadcast rights? And if it is, would TSN have a good chance at getting it?

Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure the Oilers re-upped with Corus for a six-year contract extension a season or two ago.

But it was also a year or two ago that Jack Michaels was auditioning for a TV role with the LA Kings.

Hopefully another opportunity comes his way soon... :naughty:

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014

I know TSN is going to be going hard for the TV rights for the Oilers. But it also sounds like Sportsnet might drop the flames in an attempt to keep the Oiler rights. Might be a bidding war.

Speed220DChalavan

Mar 29, 2014
I know TSN is going to be going hard for the TV rights for the Oilers. But it also sounds like Sportsnet might drop the flames in an attempt to keep the Oiler rights. Might be a bidding war.

Who would then broadcast the Flames? The loser of the bidding war?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->