News and Blog Report: Edmonton Sports Radio Thread - Part 6

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
I know TSN is going to be going hard for the TV rights for the Oilers. But it also sounds like Sportsnet might drop the flames in an attempt to keep the Oiler rights. Might be a bidding war.

Might be a little awkward that TSN is broadcasting all the Oilers games from Rogers Place.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Access TV... :sarcasm:

EDIT: Hopefully some people will be old enough to get that...

200.webp

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Might be a little awkward that TSN is broadcasting all the Oilers games from Rogers Place.

God I hope TSN picks up the rights, everything they do is better than Sportsnet. I do like Debrusk though so that would be the only downside. TSN 1260 would also be able to compete with Oilers Now as they'd also have rights holder connections.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
TSN is hands down a better regional broadcaster. You get the likes of Cuthbert, Miller, Ferraro on local games, they show all preseason games (even for small markets like Winnipeg) and even broadcast games in 4K.

Knowing the Oiler's love affair with Rogers it is unlikely that they switch, but I hope that they at least make them commit to all pre-season games being broadcast as well as a minimum number of 4K games.

KMart27

Jun 9, 2013
TSN is hands down a better regional broadcaster. You get the likes of Cuthbert, Miller, Ferraro on local games, they show all preseason games (even for small markets like Winnipeg) and even broadcast games in 4K.

Knowing the Oiler's love affair with Rogers it is unlikely that they switch, but I hope that they at least make them commit to all pre-season games being broadcast as well as a minimum number of 4K games.

Ontario does. Edmonton wouldn't.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
Access TV... :sarcasm:

EDIT: Hopefully some people will be old enough to get that...

"The station first signed on the air on March 1, 1970. For its first three years, 1970 to 1973, CBXFT also aired weekday English-language educational programming from the Metropolitan Edmonton Educational Television Association (MEETA). This ended when Access (CJAL-TV) began in 1973."

CBXFT-DT - Wikipedia

Bonus points if you can recall the "Night Owl Dubbing Service" on Access.

Reactions: JordanGalhanth

OilersSnowFan

Aug 27, 2019
penticton
globalnews.ca
No kidding.
Nothing says unprofessional like having to wait 2/3 days to listen to a Post game podcast.

This isnt a new problem for 1260 either. Its to the point that you dont even know if they had a post game show or if they just havent bothered to put up the podcast.
Total 180 degree difference from CHED.

ched has the podcasts up right away plus the radio vault which is helpful

Reactions: guymez

OilersSnowFan

Aug 27, 2019
penticton
globalnews.ca
God I hope TSN picks up the rights, everything they do is better than Sportsnet. I do like Debrusk though so that would be the only downside. TSN 1260 would also be able to compete with Oilers Now as they'd also have rights holder connections.
i think if tsn got the tv they would most likely get radio as well

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Anybody else listen to hour 2 of the Lowetide show today? Just catching up on listening to podcasts and I heard Tyler Yaremchuk tell Lowetide that he heard from people inside the Oilers organization (that were in the room) that Taylor Hall was a bad teammate.

Listen here at 20:45......
The Lowdown w/ Lowetide: February 17: Hour 2

Last edited:

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Anybody else listen to hour 2 of the Lowetide show today? Just catching up on listening to podcasts and I heard Connor Halley (I think thats who it was) tell Lowetide that he heard from people inside the Oilers organization (that were in the room) that Taylor Hall was a bad teammate.

That would be from Tyler Yaremchuk in fact.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Anybody else listen to hour 2 of the Lowetide show today? Just catching up on listening to podcasts and I heard Tyler Yaremchuk tell Lowetide that he heard from people inside the Oilers organization (that were in the room) that Taylor Hall was a bad teammate.

Too much smoke for there not to be some sort of fire. All the rumours we've heard over the years (forming cliques in the locker room, being mean to other players, acting like a d-bag, etc.), some of them are probably true.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Too much smoke for there not to be some sort of fire. All the rumours we've heard over the years (forming cliques in the locker room, being mean to other players, acting like a d-bag, etc.), some of them are probably true.

I agree completely. Way too much smoke around these rumors.
Clearly there were issues.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad