News and Blog Report: Edmonton Sports Radio Thread - Part 6

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
I know it's not our media, but hard to see Bell cut Brent Wallace today.

I have watched every Trade Deadline special in the last 13 years with him covering Ottawa, along with other TSN events, sad to see. Great reporter.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
I know it's not necessarily radio, but looking at highlights, I really do enjoy Michaels' goal calls.

It's just literally everything in between that I can't stand.

Reactions: Stoneman89

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Kurt Leavins is not my type of writer.

He acts as if he is Bob Stauffer but he isn't a team employee - it is really weird.

It is very simpy.

Also today he wrote that the Oil should recognize their young right-handed D would have good trade value - what? Why in the heck would we deal Bear or Bouchard? You're kidding me right?

Then he defended the goalie situation? He made an odd point that you don't waive Kris Russell out of respect but that he wouldn't get claimed...um what? You could say the same thing about Alex Chiasson as a respected vet, who cares. If nobody would claim him, good for us for flexibility and doesn't mean we are getting rid of him. The Leafs did it with Jason Spezza.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009

He acts as if he is Bob Stauffer but he isn't a team employee - it is really weird.

It is very simpy.

Also today he wrote that the Oil should recognize their young right-handed D would have good trade value - what? Why in the heck would we deal Bear or Bouchard? You're kidding me right?

Then he defended the goalie situation? He made an odd point that you don't waive Kris Russell out of respect but that he wouldn't get claimed...um what? You could say the same thing about Alex Chiasson as a respected vet, who cares. If nobody would claim him, good for us for flexibility and doesn't mean we are getting rid of him. The Leafs did it with Jason Spezza.

I dislike Kurt Leavins. He could stop writing about the Oilers anytime.

I like Jim Matheson better and I don’t like Jim Matheson either. Just my opinion.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
So Vancouver, Winnipeg and Hamilton all abruptly had their TSN radio stations shut down this morning with no warning to anyone, staff included.

Wonder what is in the future for 1260.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

It is very simpy.

He actually said that Koekkoek would get claimed. Russell is more about respect. IIRC he also has a NMC attached to his NTC, so you can't waive him.

Reactions: oilers'72

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
So Vancouver, Winnipeg and Hamilton all abruptly had their TSN radio stations shut down this morning with no warning to anyone, staff included.

Like shutdown shutdown?

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

It is very simpy.

Surprisingly he sometimes has insider nuggets that turn out to be legitimate, but outside of that I agree.

His player grades are always full of sunshine and rainbows no matter what happens.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

I just heard something about that. Bell really having poor timing.

Not sure how guys that work for 1260 or any other TSN radio stations are feeling not knowing if they'll be next

RattsSSV

Слава Україні - F*** Putin
May 4, 2006
Each of the stations that were shut down didn't have NHL broadcasting rights (Winnipeg lost/stopped theirs at the end of last season).

Makes you wonder about 1260. I know it's hugely popular and doesn't have a competing sports station (aside from CHED carrying the games and having Oilers Now).

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Each of the stations that were shut down didn't have NHL broadcasting rights (Winnipeg lost/stopped theirs at the end of last season).

Makes you wonder about 1260. I know it's hugely popular and doesn't have a competing sports station (aside from CHED carrying the games and having Oilers Now).
they survived..for now
they have to be in trouble considering they don't have any rights except the Oil Kings

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Brian Burke hired by the Pens. Bob just lost his best guest!

Also awful what's happening with Bell/TSN just gutless by them.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Didn't Bell get like 121mil bailout with covid as well? Increased their dividends as well

Just makes things look that much worse.

Rogers, Bell and Telus collected more than $240 million from Canada’s wage-subsidy program — and Bell and Telus raised shareholder payouts

Canada’s big three telecom companies have collectively received more than $240 million from the federal government’s wage subsidy program while continuing to pay out billions of dollars in dividends to shareholders.
According to the most recent filings in provincial lobbyist registries, Bell has received $122.9 million, Rogers $82.3 million and Telus $38.6 million in support payments as part of the Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy (CEWS).

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Which makes me question how they didn't cut the station here. Or maybe it's to come yet.

That would be my guess. CHED and CHQR have announced some pretty big salary departures in the past couple months.

Who would be the biggest salary at CFRN? Mitchell?

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
To be fair that’s they’re ratings in a pandemic with almost no sports going on. Probably not very accurate.

What does it have to do with fairness? Advertisers will pay more to advertise on stations with higher ratings. I don't think advertisers care why a given station's ratings are low. They will pay the market price for the number of listeners they will reach for a given station's audience size.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad