News and Blog Report: Edmonton Sports Radio Thread - Part 6

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
What does it have to do with fairness? Advertisers will pay more to advertise on stations with higher ratings. I don't think advertisers care why a given station's ratings are low. They will pay the market price for the number of listeners they will reach for a given station's audience size.
Yeah I get that but that’s temporary lull from a pandemic. It’s not an accurate representation of their popularity in the market. Entertainment and sports have been massively impacted. When there’s no sports why is anyone tuning into 1260? Of course their ratings are low in the fall of 2020. Every sports station on planet earths ratings would be low at that time. I bet this past month their ratings have skyrocketed just with hockey being back.

Reactions: oilers'72

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The problem with radio is you are now going up against the million podcasts that are out there.

From a business standpoint I can see why Bell is shutting some things down, but the timing is just shit on their part.

Oildrum

Jan 22, 2013
Personally I'd be happy if they cut 1260 and those personalities ended up on Oilers Nation or something similar on daily or weekly podcasts. Podcasts are a way better format then radio nowadays.

Look at Jespersen, I'd be willing to bet he will make 10 fold what he was making on 630 CHED with less commercials and more freedom.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Look at Jespersen, I'd be willing to bet he will make 10 fold what he was making on 630 CHED with less commercials and more freedom.

He'll definitely have more freedom. Making tenfold from what he was making? I would absolutely take that bet ... not that we would ever find out the answer for real.

Here's why I think the 'tenfold' bet is a little absurd. Let's say he was 'only' making $200K from CHED. I don't know the exact number but that seems on the reasonable-high end.

He has had about 32,000 views of his content that has been posted in the last 7 days. If his numbers stay like that he will have 1.6 million views over the year. I don't know how much youtube pays per view but at 10 cents a view that is $160K a year for Jespersen.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
He'll definitely have more freedom. Making tenfold from what he was making? I would absolutely take that bet ... not that we would ever find out the answer for real.

Here's why I think the 'tenfold' bet is a little absurd. Let's say he was 'only' making $200K from CHED. I don't know the exact number but that seems on the reasonable-high end.

He has had about 32,000 views of his content that has been posted in the last 7 days. If his numbers stay like that he will have 1.6 million views over the year. I don't know how much youtube pays per view but at 10 cents a view that is $160K a year for Jespersen.
You think a radio show host in Canada was making over 200 k a year?

Oildrum

Jan 22, 2013

It was Hyperbole for sure, but not as much as you may think. No way he was making anywhere close to 200k

Lol this.

Reactions: Barrsy

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Personally I'd be happy if they cut 1260 and those personalities ended up on Oilers Nation or something similar on daily or weekly podcasts. Podcasts are a way better format then radio nowadays.

Never cared for his talk show, so haven't followed what he's doing now. Just Googled and saw he is doing some kind of an internet talk show or something. What is his revenue stream that you think he is making such a killing? Not sure how many of the 50+ crowd that have primarily used radio in their vehicles or kitchens will switch to the new format just to listen to him.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Especially in Edmonton lol and nobody that makes 200k picks up a second job to work every oilers home game
I have some friends who have worked in radio. High end prime time hosts get base salaries in the low 70k range with bonuses between 5-15k based on ratings. That’s the high end prime time hosts. There’s no one in Edmonton radio making even 100 k a year let alone double that.

Oildrum

Jan 22, 2013
I have some friends who have worked in radio. High end prime time hosts get base salaries in the low 70k range with bonuses between 5-15k based on ratings. That’s the high end prime time hosts. There’s no one in Edmonton radio making even 100 k a year let alone double that.

Ya I have a friend that was on air for 630 Ched (not prime time) and she was making $15/hr around 10 years ago, it's a tough gig so she got out of it.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton

There are absolutely radio show hosts in Canada making $200K+ year. I don't think Jespersen was hence my use of "the reasonable-high end" and by that I would be shocked if Jespo was making less than $150k.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
There are absolutely radio show hosts in Canada making $200K+ year. I don't think Jespersen was hence my use of "the reasonable-high end" and by that I would be shocked if Jespo was making less than $150k.
Not even close see my other post. Your pulling numbers out of your butthole.

Reactions: Barrsy and Oildrum

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton

Yeah, go ahead and insult me again with accusing me of pulling stuff out of my butthole.

You clearly have no idea how the radio market works. $70K for "high end" prime time hosts? Morning drive is the highest paid gig out there. So not sure why you are using prime time as your comparable.

Ya I have a friend that was on air for 630 Ched (not prime time) and she was making $15/hr around 10 years ago, it's a tough gig so she got out of it.

Radio pays shit outside a few big names for each station.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
You clearly have no idea how the radio market works. $70K for "high end" prime time hosts? Morning drive is the highest paid gig out there. So not sure why you are using prime time as your comparable.
I’m aware. Prime time radio is the commute to work and the commute home. Those hosts are making decent money. No one in Edmonton is making 100k. Jesper wasn’t making close to 150k that’s totally ridiculous.

DoyleG

Reality sucks, Princesses!
Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB

His YT episodes average 5k in vieweship.

Not much for a limited niche individual like himself.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I’m aware. Prime time radio is the commute to work and the commute home. Those hosts are making decent money. No one in Edmonton is making 100k.

Nobody uses prime time in that manner in the radio industry. Morning drive make a helluva lot more than afternoon drive. Nice to see you moved off of nobody in Canada makes $200K.

At least you made your incorrect point without an insult this time. That's progress.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Nobody uses prime time in that manner in the radio industry. Morning drive make a helluva lot more than afternoon drive. Nice to see you moved off of nobody in Canada makes $200K.

At least you made your incorrect point without an insult this time. That's progress.
I didn’t insult you I said you were pulling numbers out of your rear end. Which you are. The numbers your throwing out are not close to being rooted in reality.

And no Canadian radio host makes 200 k at least not from their actual radio host job.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I didn’t insult you I said you were pulling numbers out of your rear end. Which you are.

Such an interesting definition of insulting someone. You are clearly spoiling for a fight. You used a vulgar, crude term that pretty much any decent human being considers an insult.

You provided exactly as much evidence for your belief on salaries as I did on mine. I could cite my experience in the radio industry but why? So you can hurl another vulgar term without providing evidence?

If you are so sure of your facts then provide them. Do so without the vulgar characterization that decent people consider insulting, if you can.

Oildrum

Jan 22, 2013
Ok I used Jespersen as a random example and got people a little fired up, my bad :laugh:

Either way radio in general is dying (unless someone has stats showing otherwise, I'd be shocked).

You have a younger generation that doesn't watch nearly as many sports, and doesn't consume radio/tv like the older generations. They will need to adapt or die. I almost never listen to the radio anymore, strictly podcasts and the odd audiobook.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Such an interesting definition of insulting someone. You are clearly spoiling for a fight. You used a vulgar, crude term that pretty much any decent human being considers an insult.

You provided exactly as much evidence for your belief on salaries as I did on mine. I could cite my experience in the radio industry but why? So you can hurl another vulgar term without providing evidence?

If you are so sure of your facts then provide them. Do so without the vulgar characterization that decent people consider insulting, if you can.
Outside of conversations with people in the industry a quick google search brings up this

Radio Show Host Salary in Canada | PayScale

Which is pretty much in line with what my friends in the industry have shared with me.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Outside of conversations with people in the industry a quick google search brings up this

PayScale is a site for people to post their salaries online. No verification required. Not actually proof.

Ask any of your "friends" in the industry if they truly believe not one radio person in Canada makes $200K and not one radio person in Edmonton makes $100K.

Barrsy

May 14, 2017

How about your provide facts for your ridiculous 200k assertion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad