News and Blog Report: Edmonton Sports Radio Thread - Part 6

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Oilers now sold it's soul to advertisers.
They brag about their ratings and I believe them because damn that show can't go a minute without mentioning some advertiser.
I don't mind advertising and I'm usually understanding. Putting in some seperate comercials into the podcasts where the live ones were (totally understand).
Cutting the podcast off in midsentence to drop a commercial in... wtf? Perhaps it's a mistake on the editor but it happens frequently.
Even disregarding those they've sold every nick and cranny segment to an advertiser. To the point Bob can't talk for more than a minute without dropping into a sponsor diatribe.
I've often wondered for a 2 hour radio program how much content do they actually deliver when you account for news breaks and commercials.. then include all those live advertisements.
I eventually reached a point where enough is enough and stopped downloading the podcast.

I like Gregor and Lowetide, just wish I could get the hockey portion of the podcasts only and not have to sift through them all.
I don't have a lot of interest in other sports.

Reactions: CanmoreMike

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Not sure how many here listen to the Cult of Hockey podcast (which I normally enjoy), but their insistence on pronouncing Broberg "Broberry" because they perceive that Swedish announcers pronounce it that way is driving me mental.

The bonus is Staples lecturing about how it's "the right thing to do pronouncing it in the right language" despite the fact that he routinely butchers the pronunciation of common NHL names and proceeded to mispronounce Koekkoek's name with the hard "K" sound right after a long string of "Broberry's."

It's a small thing, but why they are choosing to die on this hill with the pronunciation of "Broberry" when every single other North American media outlet will be saying "Broberg" forever is mind numbing to me.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Jamieson had an interesting comment this morning. Was talking about how back when Gobert did his whole stupid touching every mics and such that he thought Gobert should be kicked out of the league or something.

Now however Jamieson thinks if it wasn't for Gobert maybe things could've been a lot worse for professional sports. It was his stupidity that shut down sports pretty much instantly. Without that who knows what could've happened.

Kind of interesting when you think about it. Without the hard stop would leagues have played for another week or two and more cases would've spread to pros? That and once sports went on hold people started taking this seriously.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Not sure how many here listen to the Cult of Hockey podcast (which I normally enjoy), but their insistence on pronouncing Broberg "Broberry" because they perceive that Swedish announcers pronounce it that way is driving me mental.

The bonus is Staples lecturing about how it's "the right thing to do pronouncing it in the right language" despite the fact that he routinely butchers the pronunciation of common NHL names and proceeded to mispronounce Koekkoek's name with the hard "K" sound right after a long string of "Broberry's."

I listen to the Cult. I quite enjoy Staples, but completely agree the Broberry pronunciation thing is dumbass.

Staples is a pretty sharp guy, but I don't get what he is doing with the pronunciation. Nobody appreciates when someone tries to pronounce one random word in a foreign language the 'right' way. It just comes across as goofy and trying too hard.

Aside from the Broberry thing I think Staples is the best part of the Cult of Hockey. I really enjoy his weekly appearances on Stauffer as well.

McCurdy is annoying and tries to slip in his political views which Staples always very quickly stamps out. Like there is no political discussion on HFOil, I appreciate minimal politics discussion on the Oilers radio/podcasts I listen to.

Trizent

Mar 4, 2005
Oil Country
In theory, the current national contract with Rogers allows 22 national games on HNIC & SPORTSNET. With the teams that Rogers has a regional deal (Canucks, Oilers, Flames, Leafs) with they can move some regional games over to national games.

So since Oilers are a decent draw, I'd expect Rogers to keep the deal regionally so they can have that national flex. As you probably know, Flames regional deal is also up. It is crazy nothing out yet with season 2 weeks away. Makes you think status quo?

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
I like Gregor and Lowetide, just wish I could get the hockey portion of the podcasts only and not have to sift through them all.
I don't have a lot of interest in other sports.

I can't help you re. Lowetide. If you want to cherry pick the hockey interviews off of Gregor's show, go to www.jasongregor.com and click on Archive Shows.

Reactions: Trizent

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Going by the castbox app numbers they are number 4 behind oilers now, Jason Gregor, lowetide

Those are pretty decent numbers. Especially given that Staples and crew are doing the cult as a hobby. I don't think they get any money from the Oilers. Not sure how youtube monetization works in this case but the podcasts are posted to the Journal channel.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
No. Just no. All the power to him in doing his YT thing but he just speculates and even spews occasional nonsense.

Agreed. Power to him doing his thing, but I don't think his style would translate well to more traditional formats.

His delivery can be shouty and awkward at times. If he just wants to pontificate about hockey on youtube it doesn't really matter too much. If wants to use his channel as a springboard to a job he needs to tighten things up. Come up with some sort of script. His delivery could be a lot more professional.

OilersSnowFan

Aug 27, 2019
penticton
globalnews.ca
Don't know what other thread to post this on but who is Shane Jones? Saw that he a member of the phwa Edmonton chapter, why isn't a veteran like Matheson or the fat guy from the sun on it?

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
Don't know what other thread to post this on but who is Shane Jones? Saw that he a member of the phwa Edmonton chapter, why isn't a veteran like Matheson or the fat guy from the sun on it?

He’s Jones’ kid and I’m pretty sure all of them have to be part of the PHWA. Or at least want to. But I’ve been wrong before.

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
One of my biggest pet peeves is people eating while talking on the phone. I will not pick up a call if I am eating, i don't care who it is. Friedman on Oilers now sounds like his mouth is overfull of food lol. Sounds annoying.

Sanchez

Jan 18, 2006
One of my biggest pet peeves is people eating while talking on the phone. I will not pick up a call if I am eating, i don't care who it is. Friedman on Oilers now sounds like his mouth is overfull of food lol. Sounds annoying.

LOL I caught that too. He says hold on a second and then starts talking again but clearly you can hear him eating something haha.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Well I have a new crush, Emily Kaplan.

I literally was turned on listening to her talk about hockey on the Jason Gregor show yesterday. Her knowledge of so many different teams and how she came off was something else. Even the way she took a shot at CHI goaltending was quite funny.

Reactions: oilers'72

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Well I have a new crush, Emily Kaplan.

I literally was turned on listening to her talk about hockey on the Jason Gregor show yesterday. Her knowledge of so many different teams and how she came off was something else. Even the way she took a shot at CHI goaltending was quite funny.

She’s extremely knowledgeable and a very good writer. Definitely worth a Twitter follow.

Reactions: oilers'72

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
She’s extremely knowledgeable and a very good writer. Definitely worth a Twitter follow.
For sure. I get scared sometimes when they have people from the states on.

There was one guy a couple years ago that reminded me of just a homer fan. Was just all fired up for the Sabres to take a massive jump because they had so many young players ready to step up. I could hear Gregor rolling his eyes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad