News and Blog Report: Edmonton Sports Radio Thread - Part 6

OilersSnowFan

Aug 27, 2019
penticton
globalnews.ca
He needs to tame it down on the jokes and not try and be funny otherwise I like Nielson but it looks like he is going the way of meg storms .AS for a new host, hell my grandson can be better if that the best Nielson has to offer
Meg storms? I see she on Gregor site but I never hear her is she his wife or something?

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
who in your mind, is a good host?
Haters are always gonna hate but, to my ears, there's currently lots of good sportstalk hosts on Edmonton airwaves. In fact, now that Bryan Hall is pretty much retired, I can't think of any that I would declare to be unlistenable.

My 3 favourites...
1. Dave Jamieson - He has great command of the language, is quirky/funny, self-deprecating and knowledgeable. Gregor & Strudwick get lots of deserved kudos for their rapport but I find Jamieson & Iwanyk to be more consistently entertaining.
2. Jason Gregor - He's opinionated and doesn't back down which some people don't like. I'm fine with it because that supposed arrogance is balanced out by his humor (with big assists from Struddy & Connor Halley) and his tireless efforts for charity.
3. Dustin Nielson - I understand the complaints about his show but comedy is tough to execute in a way that pleases everyone all of the time. Dusty & Lt. Eric are quite creative, especially how they've essentially turned their texters into a writing staff. Their guests bring enough sports for me in the early morning. Those of us who like Dusty should enjoy him while we have him. TSN really seems to like his pbp work.

Last edited:

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
what sports? the NFL is the only thing going on

and no, no one who's listening to TSN1260 cares about the European football
I enjoy football, Premier League specifically, but football in general.
I have ZERO interest in the NFL. When they start talking NFL or fantasy picks, I change the station.
Everyone has their interests.

Reactions: oilers'72

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I enjoy football, Premier League specifically, but football in general.
I have ZERO interest in the NFL. When they start talking NFL or fantasy picks, I change the station.
Everyone has their interests.
You’re in the minority unfortunately
If more people wanted to hear about it, they would talk about it

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
You’re in the minority unfortunately
If more people wanted to hear about it, they would talk about it
I know I am in the minority, but there are more of us out there than you think.
Just wanted to let you know that your comment that no one who's listening cares about European football is incorrect.

Darkwinter

Apr 4, 2010
Haters are always gonna hate but, to my ears, there's currently lots of good sportstalk hosts on Edmonton airwaves. In fact, now that Bryan Hall is pretty much retired, I can't think of any that I would declare to be unlistenable.

My 3 favourites...
1. Dave Jamieson - He has great command of the language, is quirky/funny, self-deprecating and knowledgeable. Gregor & Strudwick get lots of deserved kudos for their rapport but I find Jamieson & Iwanyk to be more consistently entertaining.
2. Jason Gregor - He's opinionated and doesn't back down which some people don't like. I'm fine with it because that supposed arrogance is balanced out by his humor (with big assists from Struddy & Connor Halley) and his tireless efforts for charity.
3. Dustin Nielson - I understand the complaints about his show but comedy is tough to execute in a way that pleases everyone all of the time. Dusty & Lt. Eric are quite creative, especially how they've essentially turned their texters into a writing staff. Their guests bring enough sports for me in the early morning. Those of us who like Dusty should enjoy him while we have him. TSN really seems to like his pbp work.
It's not a matter of haters going to hate . The reality is Nielson needs to get his shit together or he will be weeded out like Meg was. When he's not acting like a two yr old kid on the radio, he's very good . I have watched him host the CFL game and thought he was damn good. Like I said he needs to tame it down a lot

Darkwinter

Apr 4, 2010
Meg storms? I see she on Gregor site but I never hear her is she his wife or something?
As the other poster posted .she's Meg Morrison now married with a little one. Meg was a hostess whose head got too big and when she came crashing down to earth she was not heard of anymore . Does she still host that golf show on cfrn????

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
As the other poster posted .she's Meg Morrison now married with a little one. Meg was a hostess whose head got too big and when she came crashing down to earth she was not heard of anymore . Does she still host that golf show on cfrn????
It moved over to Global a few years ago. She goes by Meg Polson now and has 2 little ones. I'm not sure about the big head and the crashing down to Earth part. She was Gregor's producer/co-host and moved on to do the Pro-Am Golf Show.

Reactions: Darkwinter

Darkwinter

Apr 4, 2010
Near the end run with 1260, she was starting to get a bit high for her bridges but that is just my view albeit right or wrong

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

My 3 favourites...
Dave Jamieson is the worst IMO...talks a lot without saying much of substance

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Once thing I'll credit this pandemic for. My ears are nearly healed and I don't have to wear a mouthguard anymore from grinding my teeth, what with a long break (other than one week) of no Jack the Hack Michaels.

barry halls

Nov 13, 2018
Oilers Now is awesome, it’s great that they are on top of daily podcast uploads unlike many other shows. Great guests and great segments. With just 4 Oilers games in the past 8 months it’s only natural that they would discuss other sports and other subjects from time to time. I really appreciate the work Bob puts in to bring us daily Oilers content.
I do find it pretty funny though how he loves to say that he is a nonpartisan person when it is abundantly clear what side of the political spectrum he lands on :laugh:

Reactions: Stud Muffin

hyster110

Mar 21, 2011
Oilers Now is awesome, it’s great that they are on top of daily podcast uploads unlike many other shows. Great guests and great segments. With just 4 Oilers games in the past 8 months it’s only natural that they would discuss other sports and other subjects from time to time. I really appreciate the work Bob puts in to bring us daily Oilers content.
I do find it pretty funny though how he loves to say that he is a nonpartisan person when it is abundantly clear what side of the political spectrum he lands on :laugh:

The only thing i can say about Bob is he needs to stop leading the questions so much to make the guest answer his way. i like when guests can expand on their own ideas and not just follow bobs rhetoric. TSN and other podcasts are much better at leaving the questions open

I have found myself moving away from 630 and all their podcasts recently. they have no volume control and the inserted ads are so obnoxious. someone at corus really needs to take pride in their podcasts and up the quality of them more than their current level

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
The only thing i can say about Bob is he needs to stop leading the questions so much to make the guest answer his way. i like when guests can expand on their own ideas and not just follow bobs rhetoric. TSN and other podcasts are much better at leaving the questions open

I have found myself moving away from 630 and all their podcasts recently. they have no volume control and the inserted ads are so obnoxious. someone at corus really needs to take pride in their podcasts and up the quality of them more than their current level

Bob's radio etiquette can be absolutely atrocious too. Chopping his lips ahead of each statement, breathing heavily into the microphone, uhm-ing and uh-ing in long drawn put drawls.

I've taken public speaking course to try to become better when I use to volunteer at a community radio station, and these are all no-no's they preach for you to avoid.

It drives me nuts sometimes and as a result I really limit the amount I listen to the guy.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
Bob's radio etiquette can be absolutely atrocious too. Chopping his lips ahead of each statement, breathing heavily into the microphone, uhm-ing and uh-ing in long drawn put drawls.

I've taken public speaking course to try to become better when I use to volunteer at a community radio station, and these are all no-no's they preach for you to avoid.

It drives me nuts sometimes and as a result I really limit the amount I listen to the guy.
The breathing is the worst. Silence your mike when the guest is speaking for crying out loud.

Last edited:

skeena1

May 15, 2006
Near the end run with 1260, she was starting to get a bit high for her bridges but that is just my view albeit right or wrong

Then you probably shouldn't have posted is as a fact up the page. Just sayin'.

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
A lot of us are guilty of that, aren't we? In many ways Dave reminds me of John Short who many consider to be the GOAT when it comes to sports talk radio hosts in our city.

Not sure why I thought of this right now but boy John Short would get mad if someone called in to talk WWF/WWE wrestling.

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012

The Oilers PvP crew of "Gilbert Gottfried" meets "Trivial Pursuits" says hi.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad