News and Blog Report: Edmonton Sports Radio Thread - Part 6

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
I can't stand it when Bob starts talking politics. I only turn on Sports radio when I am driving my kids somewhere.

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
What was he saying about politics?
Maybe it's because I hate politics in general lol. He starts talking about where he stands (left/right) etc and he starts rambling about politics. Quebec, etc.

I don't know. I like Bob overall. It's just off putting to me.

Darkwinter

Apr 4, 2010
And yet somehow they have a pretty dedicated audience even without your approval.

What exactly would "better sports radio" sound like to you?
I think it's safe to say that the audience is starting to tune them out
Christ Nielson needs to grow up . The guy act's like an ass hat on the radio and tries to be funny when in fact he sounds like a moron. Eric sounds like Nielson has grabbed him by the balls and squeeze as hard as he can.1260 is a pathetic joke

Reactions: joestevens29

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
Christ Nielson needs to grow up . The guy act's like an ass hat on the radio and tries to be funny when in fact he sounds like a moron. Eric sounds like Nielson has grabbed him by the balls and squeeze as hard as he can.1260 is a pathetic joke
You're obviously not a fan and that's fine. Listening daily it sounds to me like there's as much or more interest than ever in what Nielson & Lt. Eric are presenting. Given Bell Media's constant belt-tightening of late you can bet that if the audience is in fact starting to tune them out in anything resembling large numbers, they'll be gone immediately.

As for the station being a "pathetic joke", what should they do to change that?

Last edited:
Reactions: oilers'72

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Maybe it's because I hate politics in general lol. He starts talking about where he stands (left/right) etc and he starts rambling about politics. Quebec, etc.

He isn't that bad with it. At least he presents a little bit of both sides rather than being one sided.

Bruce McCurdy is the only person who has ever blocked me on Twitter. He is pretty clear in his tweets where his politics are. I got in an exchange with him and said I don't care about the politics of sports writers but I follow sports as an escape from politics. The next day I called him out using his exact own words he used against me when he went after another politician he didn't like. He blocked me for that.

I actually like how David Staples does Twitter. He has two accounts. One for hockey and one for politics. If you just want his hockey stuff that's the account to follow. He is consistent at keep politics off that account.

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
So far off the mark its funny

ghostnights

Oct 8, 2010
Edmonton
And yet somehow they have a pretty dedicated audience even without your approval.

What exactly would "better sports radio" sound like to you?
Likely the uneducated masses who enjoy listening to recreational hockey reviews. We have champions league , Europa league and PGA and these hacks spew idiotic garbage.

Reactions: Darkwinter

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
Likely the uneducated masses who enjoy listening to recreational hockey reviews. We have champions league , Europa league and PGA and these hacks spew idiotic garbage.
Yes, not the true sophisticates. Barbarians.

gr8haluschak

Jul 25, 2004
I'm not sure it's that far off the mark. For the June to August quarterly radio ratings CHED had EIGHT times the listenership that CFRN has.

If that isn't due to listeners tuning out CFRN then I'm not sure what the cause of the huge discrepancy in ratings is.

Yes that is it, I am sure that it has nothing to do with the fact that Ched is a news station that will have a larger appeal as compared to a niche sports station

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Yes that is it, I am sure that it has nothing to do with the fact that Ched is a news station that will have a larger appeal as compared to a niche sports station

Did you look at the link? What percentage of the EIGHT TIMES greater listenership do you think is due to CHED being a news station?

Remember the ratings period is during a time shortly before Jespersen got canned. If nothing else radio cares about ratings. If Jespersen was pulling good numbers he would have kept his job.

Darkwinter

Apr 4, 2010
You're obviously not a fan and that's fine. Listening daily it sounds to me like there's as much or more interest than ever in what Nielson & Lt. Eric are presenting. Given Bell Media's constant belt-tightening of late you can bet that if the audience is in fact starting to tune them out in anything resembling large numbers, they'll be gone immediately.

As for the station being a "pathetic joke", what should they do to change that?
I respect yr reply, They need to grow up . It's ok to have a laugh or two don't get me wrong. Nielson has no idea when to stop granted he has some funny comments I will say that but in all honesty, he needs to tame it up a lot not a bit
.AS a person Nielson is a pretty good guy in person as a radio host, he's gone the way of meg storms

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad