News and Blog Report: Edmonton Sports Radio Thread - Part 6

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
From what I remember one of the only somewhat legitimate candidates was a guy that wanted to bring back smoking indoors. Riiiiiight :help:

I’m not a smoker. I loathe being around smokers.

That said, 15+ years since we’ve enacted the no-smoking indoors laws would any business switch back to smoking if given the choice by the government? Would any landlord permit smoking in their buildings? Would anyone who doesn’t smoke want to go to a place that allows smoking?

Fifteen years later I wouldn’t object to them reversing that law and allowing businesses to sort their own stuff out. I don’t think many would jump on the bandwagon to allow it in their establishments again and the few that do...good luck.

PS - if I’m not mistaken that’s a provincial law so regardless, no mayor is overturning that ruling.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011

That said, 15+ years since we’ve enacted the no-smoking indoors laws would any business switch back to smoking if given the choice by the government? Would any landlord permit smoking in their buildings? Would anyone who doesn’t smoke want to go to a place that allows smoking?

Fifteen years later I wouldn’t object to them reversing that law and allowing businesses to sort their own stuff out. I don’t think many would jump on the bandwagon to allow it in their establishments again and the few that do...good luck.

PS - if I’m not mistaken that’s a provincial law so regardless, no mayor is overturning that ruling.

This is all true, that’s how I see it too.

I’m not a smoker but do enjoy the occasional cigar. Was going suggest to a friend that we bring one to smoke outside while at a restaurant downtown but then I remembered...oops!

Reactions: CanmoreMike

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
This is all true, that’s how I see it too.

I’m not a smoker but do enjoy the occasional cigar. Was going suggest to a friend that we bring one to smoke outside while at a restaurant downtown but then I remembered...oops!

Cigars are nice. My father-in-law enjoys a nice cigar on a summer evening in Kelowna. I certainly don’t mind the ambience from that. Have been tempted to join him.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Cigars are nice. My father-in-law enjoys a nice cigar on a summer evening in Kelowna. I certainly don’t mind the ambience from that. Have been tempted to join him.

Went to Cuba last November and brought a decent haul back with me. Ended up getting a humidor when I returned home to keep ‘em nice and ‘fresh’. Smoke around one a month in the summer months. Nice flavour, smell and get a bit of a buzz but can’t imagine smoking one a day or something, like Castro or Orson Welles, haha.

Reactions: TB12

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

I don't know what businesses would really gain by allowing smoking back.

Maybe it would be good for bingo halls as it sounds like they have really shit the bed since the smoking ban, but most bars or restaurants aren't going to gain that many people. The people they do gain would probably result in losing more people anyway.

Plus you have to add the extra maintenance due to having smokers indoors. Just doesn't seem worth it at this point in time.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Since you’ve started this by calling political candidates in Edmonton insane, i will add on that i also agree with you that Iveson is also insane both now and then. What a left wing fluff ball.
He was the LEAST insane. The bar wasn't set very high, and the competition were a bunch of whack-jobs or vanilla. Kind of like the U.S presidential races this year and last time.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Since you’ve started this by calling political candidates in Edmonton insane, i will add on that i also agree with you that Iveson is also insane both now and then. What a left wing fluff ball.
I mean. Did you pay attention at all to that election? Watching the "debate" was a bunch of literal crazy people with Iveson sitting there looking terrified.

Iveson was the only actual candidate last time, like him or not. I'm sure not all of them were insane, but none of them were close to viable and the election results showed that

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I mean. Did you pay attention at all to that election? Watching the "debate" was a bunch of literal crazy people with Iveson sitting there looking terrified.

Iveson was the only actual candidate last time, like him or not. I'm sure not all of them were insane, but none of them were close to viable and the election results showed that
He was probably terrified if one of them got in what kind of damage they'd do to this City.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
He was probably terrified if one of them got in what kind of damage they'd do to this City.
My friends dad is a lawyer here in Edmonton and is friends with Iveson. Another close female friend of mine was his nanny for years. Iveson didn’t actually want to run again last time but was afraid not too because the other candidates were so bad. He tried to convince my buddies dad to run. I think he’s still trying to convince him when they see each other because he really doesn’t want the job anymore.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
My friends dad is a lawyer here in Edmonton and is friends with Iveson. Another close female friend of mine was his nanny for years. Iveson didn’t actually want to run again last time but was afraid not too because the other candidates were so bad. He tried to convince my buddies dad to run. I think he’s still trying to convince him when they see each other because he really doesn’t want the job anymore.
I could see that. It would be hard to step down from a job when you know there is no one who would be good at the time to take it.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Day after the NHL draft and a basketball game that puts a stranglehold on the playoffs. Does Neilsen talk about this shit? Nope f***s around with some sort of kong horn.

I think I'm officially done with his show. These guys just mess around far too much.

Reactions: oilersnowfan

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
Day after the NHL draft and a basketball game that puts a stranglehold on the playoffs. Does Neilsen talk about this shit? Nope f***s around with some sort of kong horn.

I think I'm officially done with his show. These guys just mess around far too much.

I haven’t listened to sports talk radio for any length of time in months. When I do I find myself annoyed within minutes.

Not sure if I’ll ever get back to it like I used to.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I haven’t listened to sports talk radio for any length of time in months. When I do I find myself annoyed within minutes.

Not sure if I’ll ever get back to it like I used to.
I usually don't listen to the morning show. I listen to podcasts that I like or music.

However, today I thought maybe there are some tidbits I missed out on as I went to bed around 10 and thought maybe there were some juicy rumors that I missed.

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
I usually don't listen to the morning show. I listen to podcasts that I like or music.

However, today I thought maybe there are some tidbits I missed out on as I went to bed around 10 and thought maybe there were some juicy rumors that I missed.

Brutal that is what you wake up to hear.

Not sure what direction these sports media companies are going. I informed the folks at The Athletic that I probably won’t be renewing my $70/year membership. I appreciate what they are doing but I find I have less and less interest in hearing it. Plus, there’s the constant insertion of political discourse that I’ve grown to loathe.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Brutal that is what you wake up to hear.

Not sure what direction these sports media companies are going. I informed the folks at The Athletic that I probably won’t be renewing my $70/year membership. I appreciate what they are doing but I find I have less and less interest in hearing it. Plus, there’s the constant insertion of political discourse that I’ve grown to loathe.

I never renew those type of things for the renewal rate. Better to let the subscription run out and then reup on whatever the current promo is. Right now I believe it's like a buck a month.

Agree with you guys on talk radio. Rarely listen to it anymore. Way too much blabbering about crap I don't care about and too many commercials.

Reactions: CanmoreMike

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
What's 1260 big announcement? According to gregor something coming

I bet something is coming, but nothing exciting.

Maybe it will be Jesperson joining Dustin on the morning show.

All politics, all the time.

EDIT: Maybe they will discuss how millionaire hockey players can pay more taxes. At least there is a hockey tie in!

Last edited:

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
I bet something is coming, but nothing exciting.

Maybe it will be Jesperson joining Dustin on the morning show.

All politics, all the time.

EDIT: Maybe they will discuss how millionaire hockey players can pay more taxes. At least there is a hockey tie in!

Ew no keep Jespersen away from here.

"I was on talk radio!!" "I got to interact with YOU!!! the AUDIENCE!!" "Now I'm interacting with YEW!!!! The AUDIENCE!!!! On SPOOOOOOORTS TALK radio!!!!" "WOW guys I'm EXCITED!"

The guy should go host a cheesy kids show. His personality lines up perfectly for that.

Reactions: gordonhught

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad