News and Blog Report: Edmonton Sports Radio Thread - Part 5

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Hard disagree. Tencer is still awful. Instant changing of the station every time he’s on.
Yaremchuk on 1260 is following the Tencer career path nicely. Arrogant, overly opinionated and smug as hell.

Could not agree more. He just comes off as a d-bag who loves to hear his own voice. I really like Lowetide so I keep it on 1260 for his content, I tune Yaremchuk out.

Reactions: EagerPug and TB12

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Could not agree more. He just comes off as a d-bag who loves to hear his own voice. I really like Lowetide so I keep it on 1260 for his content, I tune Yaremchuk out.

I guess I'm in the minority then. I prefer on air personalities who are opinionated and I find myself agreeing with Yaremchuk a lot, he speaks like a fan and has a real good radio voice. He plays off of Lowetide well too.
He does seem a bit arrogant but most on air personalities are.

I prefer him to Lieutenant Eric for instance who provides nothing of substance. He's good for the sound bites and song parodies but as a Nielsen sidekick, not so much. The show tanked when Fraser was let go.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I guess I'm in the minority then. I prefer on air personalities who are opinionated and I find myself agreeing with Yaremchuk a lot, he speaks like a fan and has a real good radio voice. He plays off of Lowetide well too.
He does seem a bit arrogant but most on air personalities are.

I prefer him to Lieutenant Eric for instance who provides nothing of substance. He's good for the sound bites and song parodies but as a Nielsen sidekick, not so much. The show tanked when Fraser was let go.

I get Yaremchuk has a job to do and radio would be pretty boring if the host and co-host agreed on just about everything, whether its sports or news talk. I find radio hosts are similar to singers...people either like their voice and "on stage" antics or can't stand them. A lot of posters seem to not like Nielson, but I think he's very knowledgeable and is light hearted so his goofy side comes out, which I enjoy.

I still enjoy the morning show but Fraser was a big loss, no question (not a knock on Eric). When Nielson is away on vaycay or doing other things (like the Spengler), the show struggles to chug along.

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
Hard disagree. Tencer is still awful. Instant changing of the station every time he’s on.
Yaremchuk on 1260 is following the Tencer career path nicely. Arrogant, overly opinionated and smug as hell.
I actually think Tencer is quite good.Not even close to been the a-hole he was at CHED. Though when he got out of sports at CHED I thought he was quite good.

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
I get Yaremchuk has a job to do and radio would be pretty boring if the host and co-host agreed on just about everything, whether its sports or news talk. I find radio hosts are similar to singers...people either like their voice and "on stage" antics or can't stand them. A lot of posters seem to not like Nielson, but I think he's very knowledgeable and is light hearted so his goofy side comes out, which I enjoy.

I still enjoy the morning show but Fraser was a big loss, no question (not a knock on Eric). When Nielson is away on vaycay or doing other things (like the Spengler), the show struggles to chug along.
Funny. I thought Fraser was terrible & predictable. His contrarian schtick was transparent and a joke.

Reactions: Hemsky is a gangsta

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
Was this the extent of their beef?
LCGPmqA.png
Typical Gregor. So full of himself. He's never wrong, just ask him. I stopped listening to his show, I can't handle him any more.

He's a total FIGJAM !!

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
I loved his late show on 1260 when he first started doing radio. His stories are the best but he also provides a lot of solid analysis and detail.

Weird, I have the complete opposite opinion of him. It's like we're listening to two different people.

Re: Gregor/Tencer beef, no that wasnt the extent of it.

There were tweets where Gregor called Tencer Millhouse and Tencer called Gregor Mr. Clean and were bragging about their listener numbers

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
Weird, I have the complete opposite opinion of him. It's like we're listening to two different people.

There were tweets where Gregor called Tencer Millhouse and Tencer called Gregor Mr. Clean and were bragging about their listener numbers
I can agree that they are both extremely arrogant guys that, in their mind, have never been wrong in their life.

Also, Milhouse mentioning his gf, now wife, 100x a show is hilarious to me.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
I can agree that they are both extremely arrogant guys that, in their mind, have never been wrong in their life.

Also, Milhouse mentioning his gf, now wife, 100x a show is hilarious to me.

To be honest I had no idea he was even still regularly on the radio. I really enjoyed listening to his podcast the year (or 2?) after he finished up with CHED. Gave some really good behind the curtain stuff that you wouldnt be allowed to talk about as a CHED employee.

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007

What really set Gregor off at that time was Tencer chirping his pal Robin Brownlee about getting laid off by The Sun.

Personally I've always been on Team Gregor because I've been able to see beyond and actually appreciate his "arrogance". Tencer? Not so much although I no longer find it impossible to tolerate the guy.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Flipped the radio on while coming home from work last night and the Oilers broadcast was on, and I was subjected to Jack Michaels until I got to a light and changed the station. During that short period of time, the game was going on, and he was still doing his usual schtick. Rattling off his usual array of useless stats and anecdotes while the two teams battled it out, only stopping to interrupt and announce the goalie had made a great save.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Gregor is saying Katz needs to clean house.
He's been eluding to this for awhile. His blog this morning said something about how are the guys that are still here still around? Did they like what PC was doing? Were they not doing their job and being vocal enough?

Killer Z

Aug 24, 2005
Edmonton, AB
I like Lowetide, great radio host.

Nielsen’s morning show does not appeal to me at all. Definitely geared to be a slapstick comedy show rather than a sports talk show. Very unfortunate because the morning is a great time slot for listening. I just listen to NHL radio now in the mornings via SiriusXM, and then Lowetide in the afternoon.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I like Lowetide, great radio host.

Nielsen’s morning show does not appeal to me at all. Definitely geared to be a slapstick comedy show rather than a sports talk show. Very unfortunate because the morning is a great time slot for listening. I just listen to NHL radio now in the mornings via SiriusXM, and then Lowetide in the afternoon.
I don’t mind it. Not my favourite but it does the trick for me. Man the afternoon show had Frank Seravalli on it and I don’t like him but he had me laughing out loud all the way home. Did anyone catch him talking on Ryan Rishaugs hair? God that’s good shit.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad