News and Blog Report: Edmonton Sports Radio Thread - Part 5

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Well which of the media become cowards and kiss asses today and which actually ask the tough questions?

Have to think there are a few guys licking their chops at getting back in with the OBC. Being apart of the in crowd is very big for some of these guys

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Well which of the media become cowards and kiss asses today and which actually ask the tough questions?

Have to think there are a few guys licking their chops at getting back in with the OBC. Being apart of the in crowd is very big for some of these guys

Past behavior best predicts future behavior.

Cowards and ass kisser crowd: All of them.

Tough question crowd: What's left of the C & AK crowd.

Morpheus

nuckin’ futz
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2007
Oak Island - Lot #32
Just an observation:

Currently listening to Fox 970 AM Bakersfield, streaming legally from iHeart Radio

Decent play by play and colour commentary
No heart attack inducing inflections of dynamic range
No volume increase during commercial breaks
Less commercial breaks
Commentary focused on game details: including no mention of restaurants or high school track champions that were neighbors of Jack Michaels dog walker

Small town radio?!
I guess being in a big city ain’t that great all the time....hot take!

Last edited:

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Just an observation:

Currently listening to Fox 970 AM Bakersfield, streaming legally from iHeart Radio

Less commercial breaks
Commentary focused on game details: including no mention of restaurants or high school track champions that were neighbors of Jack Michaels dog walker

Small town radio?!
Sounds like we need a promotion.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Just an observation:

Less commercial breaks

Small town radio?!
I'm a big fan of the way Ryan Holt calls the Condors games. He seems to have a great grasp on when and how much 'extra info' to add into the call. I'd be really happy if he took over for either Michaels or Quinn here.

Reactions: Moreaupheus

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
I guess I'm the only fan that listens to Edmonton radio that isn't a huge fan of Strudwick. I found these last couple weeks with him hosting Gregor's show have been particularly painful. Im not just looking for a nice guy when listening to these shows. He doesnt have very strong analysis, he has an unusual difficulty with player names, seems to butcher sayings quite a bit (reminds me of Ricky from Trailer Park Boys) and hardly has any good locker room stories for a guy that's played so long in the NHL. I realize there's certain things you can't talk about on the radio, but even on Spittin Chiclets there's a fair bit of harmless anecdotes about players. Last week he spent like 5 minutes building up this story about Steve McIntyre failing a drill, and got so frustrated he punches the glass. The punchline was that it frightened Hemsky. That was the climax, that Hemsky was startled. 5 minute story. He thought it was hilarious.

Morpheus

nuckin’ futz
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2007
Oak Island - Lot #32
I guess I'm the only fan that listens to Edmonton radio that isn't a huge fan of Strudwick. I found these last couple weeks with him hosting Gregor's show have been particularly painful. Im not just looking for a nice guy when listening to these shows. He doesnt have very strong analysis, he has an unusual difficulty with player names, seems to butcher sayings quite a bit (reminds me of Ricky from Trailer Park Boys) and hardly has any good locker room stories for a guy that's played so long in the NHL. I realize there's certain things you can't talk about on the radio, but even on Spittin Chiclets there's a fair bit of harmless anecdotes about players. Last week he spent like 5 minutes building up this story about Steve McIntyre failing a drill, and got so frustrated he punches the glass. The punchline was that it frightened Hemsky. That was the climax, that Hemsky was startled. 5 minute story. He thought it was hilarious.

No argument here.

On another note I never cared much for Tom Gazolla while he was with the Oilers but he’s been doing a great job filling in on 1260 and should get his own show imho.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Nielsen is delusional thinking Pj is remotely an NHL talent. We f***ed up his development. He’s now near useless.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
No argument here.

On another note I never cared much for Tom Gazolla while he was with the Oilers but he’s been doing a great job filling in on 1260 and should get his own show imho.

He could replace Nielsen anytime. His show caters to 12 year old JR High humour and below with Lt Eric.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

He’s way better than long pause Mr Fitness Gregor.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
No argument here.

Hire him to replace any number of 1260 “talent”.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Dark times on the Edmonton sports scene in so many ways. Eskimos bottoming out, Oilers continuing their legacy of suckage, and the worst play by play announcers for both in memory.

Reactions: RegDunlop

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
The one show I cannot stand is the morning show. It's like a clown show compared to other morning shows around Canada. It sounds like they gave Junior High kids the mic.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
In what sense is he “right”?
He doesn’t have a f@#$&*& clue what he’s talking about and should stick to what he actually knows something about.

Bob usually talks out of his Ass regarding US politics BUT he is right that Quebec has Alberta bent over a barrel in terms of equalization payments. As a matter of fact the same could be said for all of Eastern Canada.

In any event dont want to derail this thread so I'll leave it there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->