News and Blog Report: Edmonton Sports Radio Thread - Part 5

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
@5 Mins 4 Ftg

Nielson's big announcement was this:

He announced his retirement from rec volleyball a while back and his boss asked him to play in a corporate challenge. Typical morning show fashion, prop up a big announcement, turn it into a guessing game and it's something of a gag.

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Nielson is full of himself. Can't stand him or his show.

dusty's good. he's a good morning show guy.

i wonder when the heck they're gonna put someone on for millard in the evenings though. there must have been some sort of really quick fallout between dean and the station because usually wouldn't they have prepped for someone to take over?

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
dusty's good. he's a good morning show guy.

i wonder when the heck they're gonna put someone on for millard in the evenings though. there must have been some sort of really quick fallout between dean and the station because usually wouldn't they have prepped for someone to take over?
Are they just doing ESPN in that slot now? Haven't been able to listen the last couple days but was curious.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Ya last i heard (i think yesterday) it was probably some espn thing. i switched it off quickly. they should at least have Gazzola in the slot for the time being... but i guess that depends on if he's available.

even pop on some of the old krushell sport performance or fitness guys shows. that's good informative radio.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
It isn't a matter of Millard or Gazzola. It is a decision to go with cheap filler programming rather than pay guys to try to build an audience locally.

1260 really isnt that committed to local evening content. I mean they couldnt even bother to have consistent post game programming after Oiler games on the weekend. The biggest deal in the city and they felt that post game coverage was optional.
Hard to rationalize that.

Last edited:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
1260 really isnt that committed to local evening content. I mean they couldnt even bother to have consistent post game programming after Oiler games on the weekend. The biggest deal in the city and they felt that post game coverage was optional.
Hard to rationalize that.
That rational is who really tunes in to it? 630 has the game so if you are listening to the game how many people actually tune away from 630 to 1260?

Local evening content just isn't there. There is a reason why 1260 keeps cutting it.

Reactions: RegDunlop

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
One has to wonder why TSN doesn't have a national evening and/or overnight show. Instead of wasting time and money on the regurgitated NFL/NBA/College crap, it'd be better to just turn off the transmitter between midnight and 6.

I still don't know why they took the Pipeline Show off the air if they're hurting for local and relevant content.

Reactions: ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Trizent

Mar 4, 2005
Oil Country
There have been attempts of national radio and syndicated radio programs in Canada and they all failed. I agree though, I never listen to the ESPN radio stuff.

Pipeline Show was time purchased by Fleming and Millard (if I understand correctly) on the station. It was likely those two that found that it wasn't economically lucrative enough to continue on the radio. It was a vg show.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
That rational is who really tunes in to it? 630 has the game so if you are listening to the game how many people actually tune away from 630 to 1260?

Local evening content just isn't there. There is a reason why 1260 keeps cutting it.

They why have a post game show at all?

I dont think that giving up is the answer.
The reailty is that it shouldn't be that hard to put together a post game show that rivals what 630CHED does.

Reactions: harpoon

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
What should really happen is they should just loop sports centre and TV stuff on the radio in the evenings. Insider Trading, etc would just be plug and play. I find it weird that even Sirius XMdoesn't have a Canadian sports show in Canada.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
They why have a post game show at all?

I dont think that giving up is the answer.
The reailty is that it shouldn't be that hard to put together a post game show that rivals what 630CHED does.
I won't be surprised to see the post game disappear.

Morpheus

nuckin’ futz
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2007
Oak Island - Lot #32
Ive been switching to 1260 post games lately.
Prefer Gazzola hosting.
He actually goes through game stats unlike ched that imo seems to be less informative but more opinionated.
And the noisy feedback during post home games didnt help me stay loyal to 630 either...
And just personal tastes but 1260 could drop the old “fake locker room report”...lame a## stuff

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Lowetide was throwing down on the Oilers during the morning roundtable. He is so jaded-lol.

I'm paraphrasing and these aren't exact quotes, but he it was along the lines of saying the GM is going to be a Hockey Canada hire because it's the easy thing for Nicholson to do (Holland mentioned again) instead of doing a conducive search .

Then he really swung the gauntlet and said the Oilers executive group is going to blame McDavid in a season or two for not turning things around (if they don't) and will ship him out of town, the same way they blamed Hall and drove him out of town because that's how they do things (alluding to blaming everyone else but themselves).

Reactions: Aerrol

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
Lowetide was throwing down on the Oilers during the morning roundtable. He is so jaded-lol.

I'm paraphrasing and these aren't exact quotes, but he it was along the lines of saying the GM is going to be a Hockey Canada hire because it's the easy thing for Nicholson to do (Holland mentioned again) instead of doing a conducive search .

Then he really swung the gauntlet and said the Oilers executive group is going to blame McDavid in a season or two for not turning things around (if they don't) and will ship him out of town, the same way they blamed Hall and drove him out of town because that's how they do things (alluding to blaming everyone else but themselves).

I haven't been listening to TSN lately because of stuff like this. Wish they'd do a lot more content and a lot less filler like this. It just seems that all you get there is (in no particular order) NFL, NBA and bash the Oilers. And, if there is anything different, it's American college stuff. If it weren't for the Oil Kings, there's be little to waste electricity on.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I haven't been listening to TSN lately because of stuff like this. Wish they'd do a lot more content and a lot less filler like this. It just seems that all you get there is (in no particular order) NFL, NBA and bash the Oilers. And, if there is anything different, it's American college stuff. If it weren't for the Oil Kings, there's be little to waste electricity on.

The organization from ownership down deserves to be publicly bashed and criticized by the media. The hosts on 1260 are just calling a spade a spade. It's better than the "Patience, everything is just fine" narrative we see/hear from 630 where Stauffer knows no bounds to protect the brand.

Reactions: Aerrol

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
The organization from ownership down deserves to be publicly bashed and criticized by the media. The hosts on 1260 are just calling a spade a spade. It's better than the "Patience, everything is just fine" narrative we see/hear from 630 where Stauffer knows no bounds to protect the brand.

The problem with calling a spade a spade on a 24/7 basis is that it sounds like the weird guy at work that has to hang around you constantly and tell you all their weird thoughts. It grew thin a long time ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad