GDT: Edmonton Oilers at the Washington Capitals 11/24/23 3:00 pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
I think Ovechkin can mostly just stand still in a bumper area.

Big one-timers aren't really a thing in modern NHL power plays and making that option A is really hurting the Capitals. I've been mostly ok with Carbery so far but the lack of a different PP setup is concerning.

It can work still, but the passing and screen plays prior need to happen lightyears faster than its happening currently.

Reactions: ujju2 and Calicaps

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
I watched a fun documentary today of Rangers in 1994 when Keenan was the coach. He tried to get through to Brian Leech. He couldn’t so he ultimately benched him. Would be something if Carbery sent a similar message to OV.

The injury doesn’t look good for Alexeyev. Shoulder. he could miss some time.

Will be interesting to see who we travel west with.

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009

You're the only person who thinks it was dirty. Even the Caps on the ice knew it was just terrible luck.
Again, where did I say it was dirty? Penalty=/=Dirty. Go watch the Caps’ bench including the coach yelling about it.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Successful PPs in the NHL in 2023 feature lots of interchanges and constant motion from players without the puck and an absence of predictable and unchanging (like Ovie’s office or the bumper) targets. We are now 3 for 50 on the PP. it seems almost impossible mathematically to be that bad.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Successful PPs in the NHL in 2023 feature lots of interchanges and constant motion from players without the puck and an absence of predictable and unchanging (like Ovie’s office or the bumper). We are now 3 for 50 on the PP. it seems almost impossible mathematically to be that bad.
We are tracking for historically bad….lol….eesh.

Feels like some people owe Blaine Forsythe an apology!!! Dude might have been working miracles and we thought it was the other way around lol….

bwahahaha….we are F’ed…

Reactions: Calicaps

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Caps sure have 5 strange regulation losses.

5-0 vs Oilers
3-0 vs Islanders
4-1 Leafs
6-1 @ Sens
4-0 vs Pens

3 times shutout, GF 2, GA 22

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
Did you know that through 17 games Caps have a higher goal rate per 60 minutes of 5-on-5 than they do per 60 minutes of power play? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

1.98 vs 1.92

It is so remarkable, I'm not even upset about it.

Reactions: WanderingCapsFan

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
Big one-timers aren't really a thing in modern NHL power plays and making that option A is really hurting the Capitals.
Not sure that’s true at all. Plenty of teams still use the umbrella formation with a featured one-time shooter: Boston, TB, Vancouver, Canes, Buffalo, Detroit come to mind off the top of my head.

The more evolved PP’s have guys that constantly move around and interchange to exploit the 2 on 1’s, a la the Oilers or Leafs. But, even there, the bread and butter of the Oiler’s PP is Drai’s one-timer from below the dot.

We wouldn’t be able to implement something with that much motion until the vets are gone and it’s all kids with young legs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Calicaps

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011

carberry ripping team

Once again, man is it refreshing to have a guy like Carbery behind the bench. No more of that bullshit "bounces didn't go our way" or "we're working through it in the room". Just honest assessment.

I do love that he called them out on the one complaint this core has basically had for it's entirety; immaturity.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
This should make a lot of people happy? I’m not one of them, but I am abjectly in the minority.

Him getting injured isn't going to make many people happy. But I do think it'll make the team better. I wish it was a healthy scratch and not a concussion that made the team better.

Also re: Carbery's quote. I'd like for him back up his words with actions before I really applaud the guy. It's easy to call out bad play. Bench a player who has played immature hockey for years, and play the players who play an effective two way game and then I'll believe you're serious!

Reactions: Acallabeth and um

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
The way I see it regarding the PP, throw all the fancy shit stuff in the trash! Work hard, win battles along the boards, quick passes, no player should be standing around(even you OV), get shots on goal and go for rebounds, shoot from the left side inside the circle, shoot from inside the circle on the right side, etc. You want to score PP goals, then you have to create advantages in tight spots and get the opponents PK moving out of position. The core players of the PP are just flat out lazy. For many years the Caps PP was explosive because of their talent, but flat out talent doesn't score you goals anymore. The game and PK units are much faster now, so you as part of a unit have to skate more to create and score goals.

Our best PP opportunity was in 2nd from our second unit. OV, Sandin, Mantha, Kuzy, Milano.
The Caps PP has been at their best, when they don't have the PP! It's that bad.

ClevelandCapsfan

May 24, 2021
With no Backstrom and Oshie and with Kuznetsov playing like that, the team passes the puck really poorly.

carberry ripping team

IMG_4642.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: kicksavedave
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00