GDT: Edmonton Oilers at the Washington Capitals 11/24/23 3:00 pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
The Oshie injury wasn't age-related. It was a super-unfortunate play and with his history, it's worrisome. But the idea that he ran into a bigger man and got concussed because he's old is just silly. I just hope he recovers well.

As for Kuzy, just f*** him. I don't know what is issue is but I also don't care.

Ovi hasn't been good, and obviously the puck's not going in for him which is weird, but I also don't think he's been as bad as some here say. I suspect he's banged up somehow and just can't play through it the way/doesn't heal as fast as he used to.

Reactions: um and bacchist

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
I’d be curious to know his playing weight. Whatever it is, it might be too much of a load for a 38 year old body to haul around an NHL rink every other night playing at the pace of the game in 2023.

Reactions: PlushMinus

notDkristich

Jan 27, 2013
The Oshie injury wasn't age-related. It was a super-unfortunate play and with his history, it's worrisome. But the idea that he ran into a bigger man and got concussed because he's old is just silly. I just hope he recovers well.

As for Kuzy, just f*** him. I don't know what is issue is but I also don't care.

Ovi hasn't been good, and obviously the puck's not going in for him which is weird, but I also don't think he's been as bad as some here say. I suspect he's banged up somehow and just can't play through it the way/doesn't heal as fast as he used to.

wasn't suggesting the physical aspect of age, more so the mental aspect. our brains slow down with age. it can't be helped. he just did not track the big 6+ foot defender who barely moved from this skating lane.

i share the pain of multiple concussions, and hope he feels better soon.

Reactions: twabby

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
wasn't suggesting the physical aspect of age, more so the mental aspect. our brains slow down with age. it can't be helped. he just did not track the big 6+ foot defender who barely moved from this skating lane.

i share the pain of multiple concussions, and hope he feels better soon.

The suggestion of people slowing down mentally as they age is a touchy subject around these parts. Tread carefully!

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Ok, hear me out - Oshie goes into the booth and replaces Locker.

I've never given that a single thought but Oshie is charismatic enough based on what we've seen from him.

But Locker has that unadulterated addiction to hockey as his focus in life. The dude sounds like he wakes up in the morning thinking about hockey. I've always loved that about him. Can anyone ever match that?

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I’d be curious to know his playing weight. Whatever it is, it might be too much of a load for a 38 year old body to haul around an NHL rink every other night playing at the pace of the game in 2023.

I’ve been thinking about this, but I don’t know what losing weight would do to his game.

To me, Ovechkin isn’t Ovechkin if he isn’t one the biggest guys around the rink.

What if he went down to 200 lbs? Sure, he’d probably skate faster, but would he have trouble getting to certain areas?

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
He's got to be around 235? If he dropped 10 lbs, I think he would get some of his agility back. OV just looks too stiff and almost moves around like a robot.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
I’ve been thinking about this, but I don’t know what losing weight would do to his game.

To me, Ovechkin isn’t Ovechkin if he isn’t one the biggest guys around the rink.

What if he went down to 200 lbs? Sure, he’d probably skate faster, but would he have trouble getting to certain areas?
That is too much. Let me give you idea about losing weight. For a goalie, you can lose up to 5 pounds of weight in water playing a full game. Hockey players I would say less during a game. You skate miles as a player, but you sweat less than the goalie due to not carrying as much weight in equipment as a goalie does(goalie equipment nowadays probably weigh something like 15-20 lbs). So for OV, I think if he lost 10 - 15 lbs in real weight, it would help him a good deal. I think because of his weight he's becoming more banged up due to trying to keep up with the faster game. As a pro athlete, age 38, you have to slim down a bit.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
That is too much. Let me give you idea about losing weight. For a goalie, you can lose up to 5 pounds of weight in water playing a full game. Hockey players I would say less during a game. You skate miles as a player, but you sweat less than the goalie due to not carrying as much weight in equipment as a goalie does(goalie equipment nowadays probably weigh something like 15-20 lbs). So for OV, I think if he lost 10 - 15 lbs in real weight, it would help him a good deal. I think because of his weight he's becoming more banged up due to trying to keep up with the faster game. As a pro athlete, age 38, you have to slim down a bit.

I’m sure there’s a balance where he can get some benefit without sacrificing size too much. I personally gained some speed by going from 190 to 185 lbs recently through cardio training and diet.

I did feel like I lost strength however. I’m not a professional athlete though. Ovi has an army of professional trainers and nutritionists at his disposal. I’m sure they can figure something out if that’s where adjustments need to be made.

To me, I can see that he still has all the tools he needs to do the one thing he does better than anyone else. I don’t believe that he suddenly forgot how to score after he’s found the back of the net 800+ times.

Reactions: PlushMinus

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
I've never given that a single thought but Oshie is charismatic enough based on what we've seen from him.

But Locker has that unadulterated addiction to hockey as his focus in life. The dude sounds like he wakes up in the morning thinking about hockey. I've always loved that about him. Can anyone ever match that?
Whenever his playing days are up, I genuinely believe he would be good in some kind of TV gig. I’m dying for someone to replace Locker as the team moves into the next era. Why not TJ?

He’s an affable, likeable dude that seems respected around the league. Smart, well-spoken…chicks dig him (my wife and sister can confirm), lol.

Oh, and he just happens to be a US Olympic hero, with one of the more memorable, singular performances in recent memory.

A studio gig might be more realistic. ESPN currently employs the corpse of Mark Messier, and a PK Subban that yells “nasty!”, while dancing in stylish clothes. So the bar is pretty low, ha.

Last edited:

alphabetical

May 8, 2013
Like seriously, Ovi has become such a detriment to the power play. They literally cannot play off the left side. Everything has to be played on the right wing, and because Ovi doesn't move or do much it's basically a 4v4 between the opposing teams best defensive forwards and 4 skill guys in a super small area.

I don't see how you make that successful if Ovi refuses to move.
Just park him in front of the net. At least he would create traffic and screen the goalie while he stands still.

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013
I’m sure there’s a balance where he can get some benefit without sacrificing size too much. I personally gained some speed by going from 190 to 185 lbs recently through cardio training and diet.

I did feel like I lost strength however. I’m not a professional athlete though. Ovi has an army of professional trainers and nutritionists at his disposal. I’m sure they can figure something out if that’s where adjustments need to be made.

To me, I can see that he still has all the tools he needs to do the one thing he does better than anyone else. I don’t believe that he suddenly forgot how to score after he’s found the back of the net 800+ times.
If he still has all the tools, why is he playing like that?

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
Obviously the team played a pretty crappy game. But it's pretty hard to win when you're playing against:

1. Draisaitl & McDavid
2. Father time
3. The situation room in Toronto
4. The on ice refs
5. Hockey gods
6. Fu**ing everything

Hopefully they can put this travesty behind them and get back to the good habits they've had.

Only bright spot was to see M

P.S I love how Kuzy is basically McDavid but bought on wish.com D.S

Reactions: ClevelandCapsfan

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Stinker.

Bad game for other Eastern teams too so meh.

Oshie injury looked really bad with his history...

How does Kuznetsov keep logging ~22 minutes? He mailed it in and didn't even try out there. Drop him down to 12 minutes on nights like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln