Edmonton Oil Kings/Junior Hockey thread

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
A flashback to Vancouver NOT winning the cup.
Vancouver-couple-kissing-007.jpg

Reactions: bellagiobob

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Stauffer called Cossa the best goalie to come from the WHL since Price. Now I take it with a grain of salt as Stauffer loves his Oil Kings, but just how good is he?

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Stauffer called Cossa the best goalie to come from the WHL since Price. Now I take it with a grain of salt as Stauffer loves his Oil Kings, but just how good is he?

2016 - Carter Hart (#48 to Philly)
2013 - Tristan Jarry (#44 to Pittsburgh) and Eric Comrie (#59 to Winnipeg)
2010 - Calvin Pickard (#49 to Colorado) and Kent Simpson (#58 to Chicago)
2008 - Chet Pickard (#18 to Nashville)
2006 - Leland Irving (#26 to Calgary)
2005 - Carey Price (#5 to Montreal)

Those are the top WHL goalies drafted since Price in 2005. So if he means top goalie prospect prior to the draft then his statement IMO is accurate. Chris Driedger (#76 in 2021), Darcy Kuemper (#161 in 2009) and Braden Holtby (#93 in 2008) are other good Dub goalies with somewhat lesser pedigrees.

Cossa is a big, confident goalie who moves and tracks the puck well, has very good positioning and a solid glove hand. He's got all of the ingredients you're looking for in a modern goalie and his stats are obviously really impressive too.

I'm very excited to see what he can do at the WJC this year assuming he makes the team. I think he has a good chance to win the starter's role. Presumably he'll be up against Dylan Garand, Nico Daws and maybe Will Cranley for the starter's job, although I'm sure some other goalie will jump into the mix as well.

Last edited:

lopper

Oct 22, 2006
AB
For the people that follow the OKs closely do you think this team for next season will be as strong as the team from the Covid “season”?. I think if Covid didn’t shutdown the playoffs the OKs would have won the league and been a threat for the Memorial Cup

Reactions: oilers'72

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
For the people that follow the OKs closely do you think this team for next season will be as strong as the team from the Covid “season”?. I think if Covid didn’t shutdown the playoffs the OKs would have won the league and been a threat for the Memorial Cup

They have a very good chance, depending on how many 2021 and previous drafts get sent to NHL/AHL teams. Neighbours will more than likely go the Blues system. Robertson the same with the Rangers. Cossa and Guenther will more than likely return, but for how long? The other returnees will have another year under their belts and their stats should improve.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
They have a very good chance, depending on how many 2021 and previous drafts get sent to NHL/AHL teams. Neighbours will more than likely go the Blues system. Robertson the same with the Rangers. Cossa and Guenther will more than likely return, but for how long? The other returnees will have another year under their belts and their stats should improve.

Neighbours isn’t AHL eligible so unless he makes the Blues he’ll be back. Robertson is a year older though so he’ll be gone. Word is that Simon Kubicek is going to report to them after staying in Czechia all of this year which is a huge get. He already has a .5ppg season as a defenseman in the WHL under his belt two years ago, and then spent most of this season playing in the top Czech league. He’d be an absolute force for them.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
Neighbours isn’t AHL eligible so unless he makes the Blues he’ll be back. Robertson is a year older though so he’ll be gone. Word is that Simon Kubicek is going to report to them after staying in Czechia all of this year which is a huge get. He already has a .5ppg season as a defenseman in the WHL under his belt two years ago, and then spent most of this season playing in the top Czech league. He’d be an absolute force for them.

Neighbours has an ELC, so I guess I haven't been following the AHL eligibility rules as I should. Good to hear about Kubicek should he come to Edmonton.

Looked and Jake won't be 20 until March 29th, 2022.

Reactions: bellagiobob

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Sadly, I think they're getting ready for a rebuild now. The last 2 years seemed to be their window, and CCOVID removed that chance.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005

BTW, Stauffer, prior to his interview with Ken Holland on Oilers Now today, connected Kubicek to a tryout/contract with the Oilers. Sign me up. I'd also give Josh Williams a Condor's contract, see if we can continue coaxing a player out of him.

Last edited:

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017

BTW, Stauffer, prior to his interview with Ken Holland on Oilers Now today, connected Kubicek to a tryout/contract with the Oilers. Sign me up. I'd also give Josh Williams a Condor's contract, see if we can continue coaxing a player out of him.

I'd be very open to using a 6th or 7th on Kubicek. I had him as a 3rd/4th rounder last year.

Reactions: Soli

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad