Edmonton Oil Kings/Junior Hockey thread

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
Massive OT win by the Oil Kings to get some momentum going in this Mem Cup. It is pretty unbelievable how the Dub has cratered in its competitiveness in this best on best tournament. This stat is simply mind numbing.

Get it done Kings!

dub has about 5 too many teams relative to the Q or O. As a result , about 5 kids on each Dub team should be playing in the AJ or midget.
Really affects the W's competitiveness. .

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
dub has about 5 too many teams relative to the Q or O. As a result , about 5 kids on each Dub team should be playing in the AJ or midget.
Really affects the W's competitiveness. .
Absolutely, too many teams and a vast, expansive geographic footprint to play games which culminate in lot of miles in the Dub Championship final. Solid development league but it kills them at the Memorial Cup.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Absolutely, too many teams and a vast, expansive geographic footprint to play games which culminate in lot of miles in the Dub Championship final. Solid development league but it kills them at the Memorial Cup.
Well said. The travel time of a Dub club exceeds that of almost any NHL club. (given also mode of travel) I mean we're looking at almost half a continent in size of Dub terrain. Where as Quebec, Ontario, get so much less travel. Its always been the case but was made worse for Dub when it went to the US teams as well. Which just expanded the geography beyond reason.

its also inexplicable with the population of all the Dub that we just get one team in the Memorial cup. Theres way more teams than Quebec.

Last edited:

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Well said. The travel time of a Dub club exceeds that of almost any NHL club. (given also mode of travel) I mean we're looking at almost half a continent in size of Dub terrain. Where as Quebec, Ontario, get so much less travel. Its always been the case but was made worse for Dub when it went to the US teams as well. Which just expanded the geography beyond reason.

its also inexplicable with the population of all the Dub that we just get one team. Theres way more teams than Quebec.
And most recently East to Winnipeg. Imagine a Winnipeg v Portland Dub Championship after the meat grinder to get that far. Then off say to St. Johns to play the best on best Memorial Cup. I was weaned on the WHL and it drives me bananas to see it become a lame duck this past decade.

Reactions: bellagiobob

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
And most recently East to Winnipeg. Imagine a Winnipeg v Portland Dub Championship after the meat grinder to get that far. Then off say to St. Johns to play the best on best Memorial Cup. I was weaned on the WHL and it drives me bananas to see it become a lame duck this past decade.
I go way back. Edmonton Oil Kings playing and losing to Guy Lafleur. With all games played in Quebec thanks to a screw job at the time. Nothing much ever changes in Canada, WC never gets the fair shake. Listened to those games on the radio. First game 5-1, was never close. 2nd ended 5-2 but was closer than scoreline indicated.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
Jaxson Weibe with the hat trick and Carter Souch with the 4tg, while Sebastien Cossa made 36 saves as the Oil Kings made p***ycats out of the Seadogs 4-3 in OT. Edmonton sits 3rd in the standings.

Today, Shawinigan faces Hamilton @ 4 PM.

Reactions: bellagiobob

Puck Blaster

May 8, 2022
Alberta
Drag queens at Canadian Junior Championship. Wow. Hockey gone downhill. Now watch gender neutral hockey analysis. Bell media sucks. Turn off long time hockey fans fast. Goodbye memorial cup. Long time follower, no more. Don Cherry must be laughing at todays hockey…

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
Drag queens at Canadian Junior Championship. Wow. Hockey gone downhill. Now watch gender neutral hockey analysis. Turn off long time hockey fans fast. Goodbye memorial cup. Long time follower, no more. Don Cherry must be laughing at todays hockey…
Disturbing to read this. I see it's spreading to hockey circles now.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
So if we beat Hamilton tomorrow, we'd play the semi and if lose, we'd play them again in the tie breaker, right?
The tie breaker is only used if two teams are tied for third place. So if we win tomorrow, we play in the semis. Lose that and we go home, win, onto the final.

Reactions: oilers'72

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
What’s the difference between this and cheerleaders? Genuinely curious
Some people complain about the cheerleaders and they get removed.

Bourgault with another big night, goal and 2 apples. The guy definitely knows how to produce when it really counts.

Reactions: oilers'72

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Tough way to end the year for the boys. PP on both sides was key tonight, ours wasn’t good, theirs was, and the Bulldogs goalie had a great game.

Yep, their goalie made some huge stops and dare I say, stole Hamilton a spot in the semis.

Nothing to be ashamed of as they are league champs, the Memorial Cup is a nice little bonus tourney. Other teams have gone to it and got completely embarrassed at it. The Oil Kings lost both games by one goal.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Yep, their goalie made some huge stops and dare I say, stole Hamilton a spot in the semis.

Nothing to be ashamed of as they are league champs, the Memorial Cup is a nice little bonus tourney. Other teams have gone to it and got completely embarrassed at it. The Oil Kings lost both games by one goal.
For sure, thought they deserved a better fate tonight, but that’s hockey. Fantastic year, heads should be held high. Been a fun spring for Edmonton hockey fans.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
One of the best, deepest Dub team in years. Going home first again with 1 OT win.

Losing their sniper Guenther in the Dub Championship had to hurt in this tightly contested Memorial Cup. But man this is some stretch of mediocrity.

Reactions: lopper

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad