Elks: Edmonton Eskimos 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
What else are they going to do. Line up for jobs at Walmart?

Tend to agree. With 6.6 Million job losses in the U.S. (as reported today on Bloomberg) there won't be a ton of opportunities for the guys down South.

Players today are better educated with better job opportunities but even so, if you work part time in the U.S. during the CFL off season then there is a pretty good chance that your seasonal gig is in jeopardy.

I think a lot of guys that play in the league have always played for the love of the game. $60K Canadian on an after tax basis is a small amount of money but the guys make the best of it and find apartments to share with team mates.

I don't really know what is going to happen here but a lot of businesses are not going to be around after this is over (it will never be entirely over) and I hope that the CFL is not amongst the list of extinct organizations.

Let's face it, attendance had plummeted in many CFL seasons in recent years and many clubs were just hanging on, long before this disaster struck.

The EE have a stabilization fund that is over $10M but other clubs have no such luxury.

The community owned clubs will have a better shot at survival. On the private side, the Flames own the Stamps and won't want them to go under and Maple Leaf Sports won't want the bad publicity of letting the Argos sink beneath the waves but at some point there is a limit to the losses they will absorb.

Wow, is society fragile or what?? The crisis is only a few months old and already those "old days" of freedom and fun seem like they belong to a distant world from the past. Please tell me that this is just all a bad dream.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I’m somewhat amazed that we are still signing players amidst all the contract and season uncertainty.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Eskimos need to focus on signing young guys. So that, by the time we start playing again, they won't be near retirement.;)

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Well, there is a bit of good news for the CFL this week.

The XFL has declared bankruptcy. Trestman is owed 770K+ and is listed as one of the league's biggest creditors.

Its doubtful that league will ever resurface so competition for players will see a bit of a decrease. Of course, I am assuming here that the CFL will survive.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Well, there is a bit of good news for the CFL this week.

The XFL has declared bankruptcy. Trestman is owed 770K+ and is listed as one of the league's biggest creditors.

Its doubtful that league will ever resurface so competition for players will see a bit of a decrease. Of course, I am assuming here that the CFL will survive.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Saw Dave Naylor float out the hypothetical of the CFL indeed playing games in the fall with empty stadiums. We all know the CFL is gate-driven league that seemingly couldn't possibly do this, but his theory was that if American college football is cancelled, perhaps there'd be enough of an appetite to get a Saturday afternoon TV deal in the States to make it feasible. Highly doubtful, but hardly the craziest thing I've heard.

To me though, the crowd plays too big of a role in football and hockey to play either sport in an empty stadium. It would just seem forced and weird to me. Baseball is the one game I could see myself sitting down to watch, even if there were no fans there.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012

I am not the least bit surprised by this after all the CFL was really struggling in a lot of places over the last few seasons.

The interesting question though is how do you bail out the CFL given their mixed model of public versus private ownership?

The EE don't need a bailout with a $10M+ stabilization fund (last I heard in 2019).

The Stamps (I believe) are owned by the Flames and the Flames don't need any financial help.

The Argos are owned by Maple Leaf Sports and they don't need any help either.

So do you do it on a "franchise needs" basis or just offer a blanket sum that can then be distributed by the CFL head office as they see fit?

I can't really see the public being too please with this.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Since there won't be a season this year, I would imagine that costs should be pretty low for all the teams.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad