Elks: Edmonton Eskimos 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Eskimos 0 Coronavirus 28. Half time. Brett Kissel doing the half time show..my vision of hell

fans social distanced in the cavernous Commonwealth Stadium. Attendance 3200.

next Week Eskimos play the non existent Atlantic Schooners in a social distance game. ;) half time entertainment being non existent, being Sam Smith.

Week after that its the no battle, no touch, no contact game vs the nostampeders. Lysol handwipes handed out at the game.
Half time entertainment being mime volleyball without a ball..

(sad panda)

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Yeah figures, grabbed a few of the $99 season tickets and she might all get scrapped anyway.

At this point, anything beyond an 8-10 game season starting in late August is probably wishful thinking. There's really no way to conduct a legitimate season if American players and coaches can't start crossing the border by mid-August. Or if large public gatherings are still a no-go. So basically a return to complete normalcy in about 130 days. Not holding my breath on that.

Reactions: Captain Fantastic

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Its probably a long shot given that the virus effects will last at least a year but let's be up-beat and say:

-a shortened 8 game season beginning on Labour day (the traditional high profile games) with the season being just West versus West and East versus East games until the GC contest.

That way you reduce some of the travel time on planes (assuming they are flying) and really, most CFL fans are far more interested in the regional rivalries anyway. The Esks would play the Stamps, Bombers, Riders and Lions twice in consecutive home and home weekend matches (not sure what you do in the East given only 4 teams).

Start the playoffs first week in November.

Yup, likely a day dream but my wife says write something positive and turn off BNN--so I did.

Last edited:

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Its probably a long shot given that the virus effects will last at least a year but let's be up-beat and say:

-a shortened 8 game season beginning on Labour day (the traditional high profile games) with the season being just West versus West and East versus East games until the GC contest.

That way you reduce some of the travel time on planes (assuming they are flying) and really, most CFL fans are far more interested in the regional rivalries anyway. The Esks would play the Stamps, Bombers, Riders and Lions twice in consecutive home and home weekend matches (not sure what you do in the East given only 4 teams).

Start the playoffs first week in November.

Yup, likely a day dream but my wife says write something positive and turn off BNN--so I did.
Maybe they could use this year to implement the long suggested format of eliminating the divisions and just have one big pool. 9 team league, everyone plays each other once and the top 6 make playoffs.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

Never heard of this card thing before but seems like a bad idea to begin with given the low competency of the officials on the field and working the replay booth. They’d be spending more time trying to figure out which player was supposed to be where than they would be actually watching the play.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Never heard of this card thing before but seems like a bad idea to begin with given the low competency of the officials on the field and working the replay booth. They’d be spending more time trying to figure out which player was supposed to be where than they would be actually watching the play.

I remember seeing a couple successfully executed fake punts get nullified by this strange rule last year. You've got to think it probably happened a bunch of other times too and simply went unnoticed.

I've always thought that everyone besides the five linemen should be considered eligible. (And that is usually how it works out anyway). Keep it nice and simple.

Related to this, I've always found the no-end illegal formation penalty to be kind of dumb and unneeded as well. A play to the left slotback gets nullified because the right wideout has a brainfart and lines up a foot back of the line instead of right on it? I could do without those penalties.

Reactions: rboomercat90

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I have been killing some time watching old Grey Cup classics on YouTube and of course many EE fans will remember the 1954 classic with Jackie Parker's famous 90 yard return.

The picture quality takes some patience in order to sit through the whole game but the plays and the commercials are very entertaining. All kinds of excitement and over 600 yards of Alouette offense.

I watched Parker's famous play 6 or 7 times but still can't see how it was ruled a fumble or a lateral. There was no Alouette player standing around Hunsinger and the ball travelled about 5 yards downfield so it definitely wasn't a lateral.

It looked to me like Hunsinger's arm definitely came forward in a throwing motion before he was hit so it should have been an incomplete pass but its all part of legend now. Hunsinger was broken hearted (as was the whole city of Montreal) and retired the following year and Jackie Parker became a fumble return icon.

Sam "the rifle" Etcheverry was brilliant and so was Als receiver Red O'Quinn.

The EE offence was very creative with Rollie Miles and Jackie Parker throwing the ball on the halfback option plays. Faloney, the EE QB looked like he was no precision passer in this game (although he went on to become a CFL legend) so I guess the EE coach gave them the green light to throw the ball.

Interesting that legendary fullback Johnny Bright played the entire game on defense and didn't get an offensive touch.

Amusing how guys went both ways in those days. Faloney, the QB, also did the punting.

Touchdowns counted for 5 points, not 6.

The helmets had no face mask and looked exactly like the Romulan helmets in the "Balance of Terror" Star Trek episode.

No Rappers at half time either.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drivesaitl

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
I have been killing some time watching old Grey Cup classics on YouTube and of course many EE fans will remember the 1954 classic with Jackie Parker's famous 90 yard return.

The picture quality takes some patience in order to sit through the whole game but the plays and the commercials are very entertaining. All kinds of excitement and over 600 yards of Alouette offense.

I watched Parker's famous play 6 or 7 times but still can't see how it was ruled a fumble or a lateral. There was no Alouette player standing around Hunsinger and the ball travelled about 5 yards downfield so it definitely wasn't a lateral.

It looked to me like Hunsinger's arm definitely came forward in a throwing motion before he was hit so it should have been an incomplete pass but its all part of legend now. Hunsinger was broken hearted (as was the whole city of Montreal) and retired the following year and Jackie Parker became a fumble return icon.

Sam "the rifle" Etcheverry was brilliant and so was Als receiver Red O'Quinn.

The EE offence was very creative with Rollie Miles and Jackie Parker throwing the ball on the halfback option plays. Faloney, the EE QB looked like he was no precision passer in this game (although he went on to become a CFL legend) so I guess the EE coach gave them the green light to throw the ball.

Interesting that legendary fullback Johnny Bright played the entire game on defense and didn't get an offensive touch.

Amusing how guys went both ways in those days. Faloney, the QB, also did the punting.

Touchdowns counted for 5 points, not 6.

The helmets had no face mask and looked exactly like the Romulan helmets in the "Balance of Terror" Star Trek episode.

No Rappers at half time either.

You mean...No Salt n Pepa?????

giphy.gif

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Eskis have laid of a pile of staff today

do not have the figures but at a time where they should be getting ready to kick things into high gear? this does not bode well for the for coming season.

With Calgary saying no games of any sort until June 30th and the earliest, almost a month into what would have been the season? I can not see the the CFL getting in a full season

could you imagine games in Commonwealth in December? The Grey cup is suppose to be November 22nd in Regina--it will be a snowball already but pushing it till mid December to make up for the games they lost?

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Eskis have laid of a pile of staff today

do not have the figures but at a time where they should be getting ready to kick things into high gear? this does not bode well for the for coming season.

With Calgary saying no games of any sort until June 30th and the earliest, almost a month into what would have been the season? I can not see the the CFL getting in a full season

could you imagine games in Commonwealth in December? The Grey cup is suppose to be November 22nd in Regina--it will be a snowball already but pushing it till mid December to make up for the games they lost?

The GC date likely would stay the same. They have talked about either an 8 or a 12 game season as possibilities.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I've already heard that under no circumstances is the Grey Cup date going to change.

As far as I know there's never been a shortened/cancelled CFL season. Gonna be a weird summer.

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton

Thorne says he was unfairly fired over an $800 accounting error and for refusing multiple requests from general manager Brock Sutherland to keep healthy players on the team’s injury list where they wouldn’t count against the team’s salary cap.
"It was super uncomfortable. It felt like I was being set up to be a fall guy if anything ever happened," Thorne said of the requests he says were made as a personal favour from the general manager.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad