Elks: Edmonton Eskimos 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
He was but look how that turned out. ;)

Not so good for James Gandolfini. RIP, what an actor. The show itself still left a little for speculation. Was a hard show to end and hard to tie up ends of a work of art. People might be watching that show a Century from now, probably, unless all record of it is burned...

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Not so good for James Gandolfini. RIP, what an actor. The show itself still left a little for speculation. Was a hard show to end and hard to tie up ends of a work of art. People might be watching that show a Century for now, probably, unless all record of it is burned...
I miss that guy / that show. :(

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
tbh I stopped going to games when Reilly was traded. Haven't been to more than a couple since. Wasn't just Reilly either, the Esks got rid of most of their favorite players, and lost several others after the GC win. Its been hard to cheer for the club and the revolving door the last several seasons.

The CFL increasingly has been a farm league and most players that are good, that you like, are gone unless they are marquee paid. I'd honestly have trouble listing a dozen current Eskimos players right now. Its harder to relate to the product when you can't relate to the players playing for it.

I didn't have faith in how the team was being run on the field or off of it and my patronage just stopped. Been cheering for the Eskimos since the 60's and now theres games I don't even watch. I mean I watch most eskimos games, but formerly it was a rarity to miss any.

Combine this kind of erosion of fandom with Covid-19 and its a real problem for the Eskimos. Lets remember our attendance was taking a severe nosedive before Covid 19.

Certainly, but there was a bit of energy coming into this season with the new coaching staff and the introductory $99 season seats that sold out really quick. I think the team was on track to make some gains this year, but then it all came to a screeching halt first with Covid-19 and the eventual name change.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
As Tony Soprano always said, "Whatever happened to the strong silent type?"

lol I love it when people don't understand what they're watching so much they own themselves with it.

Hint: Tony whining about the lack of strong silent types was meant to be ironic. He himself is a loudmouth crybaby.

You obviously don't know the history of the Irish people. You do realize England literally tried to starve the Irish off the face of the earth for 5 straight years, right? It killed MILLIONS.

There have been many cases in history (including in the U.S.) where the Irish were treated horribly and killed in huge numbers.

But, do you hear me asking for the Fighting Irish or the Celtic emblem or every Leprechaun removed from the face of the earth? Nah. I'm a big boy.

*sigh*.

The Fighting Irish was not derogatory and coined by Irish students and chosen by an Irish University President. Celtic imagery is appropriated maybe, but I don't think I've ever heard it positioned as anything other than a cool piece of history.

Your continual need to compare your apparent indifference to things others may find offensive about Irish history to the feelings of the Inuit are dishonest. There isn't an example here, let alone like 3 separate examples in North American sports, of borderline slurs against your people. We're not the great grandchildren of Irish genocide victims in land stolen from the Irish watching the Edmonton Bogtrotters.

That's not the only argument. The other argument is to embrace the name and help the Inuit people out that are still struggling across this country.

Someone mentioned it early in the thread about bringing the issues front and center while keeping the name, but at the same time if we get rid of it the issues will just be forgotten.

If this were an argument remotely made in good faith: Call them the Edmonton Inuit. Call them by the name they call themselves and not the word genocidial morons threw on them because they couldn't be bothered to learn it while murdering them.

It doesn't matter anyway. You've already lost this. If it wasn't fait accompli that they were going to change the name, the second they lost a sponsor it was guaranteed.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
lol I love it when people don't understand what they're watching so much they own themselves with it.

Hint: Tony whining about the lack of strong silent types was meant to be ironic. He himself is a loudmouth crybaby.

*sigh*.

The Fighting Irish was not derogatory and coined by Irish students and chosen by an Irish University President. Celtic imagery is appropriated maybe, but I don't think I've ever heard it positioned as anything other than a cool piece of history.

Your continual need to compare your apparent indifference to things others may find offensive about Irish history to the feelings of the Inuit are dishonest. There isn't an example here, let alone like 3 separate examples in North American sports, of borderline slurs against your people. We're not the great grandchildren of Irish genocide victims in land stolen by the Irish watching the Edmonton Bogtrotters.

If this were an argument remotely made in good faith: Call them the Edmonton Inuit. Call them by the name they call themselves and not the word genocidial morons threw on them because they couldn't be bothered to learn it while murdering them.

It doesn't matter anyway. You've already lost this. If it wasn't fait accompli that they were going to change the name, the second they lost a sponsor it was guaranteed.

jebus h Christ.

Among the most offensive extremist views I've seen here and that's saying something.

Just commenting and bolding it so everybody can view what your brand of tolerance looks like.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007

Didn't Boston Pizza also remove sponsorship?

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Ya I'm sure it has everything to do with the name and not their business is failing horribly and dont have money.

Not a Boston Pizza fan personally, but I had just heard they pulled sponsorship. I figured it was name change related, but perhaps not?

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
The ambiguous series finale that people thought they had figured out. I mean they were even planning on having a sequel movie after the series concluded. People assumed Tony was dead based on the show abruptly ending and cutting to black. I really hope you already watched the series and i am not spoiling it for you.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
The ambiguous series finale that people thought they had figured out. I mean they were even planning on having a sequel movie after the series concluded. People assumed Tony was dead based on the show abruptly ending and cutting to black. I really hope you already watched the series and i am not spoiling it for you.
It's all good. :)

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Not a Boston Pizza fan personally, but I had just heard they pulled sponsorship. I figured it was name change related, but perhaps not?
Its easy for companies to jump ship now when the season might not happen and the CFL is suffering financially. Funny they had no problem when the Eskimos were profitable and the league wasint a joke. Where was their moral outrage then? The pandemic is exposing a lot of hypocrisy and i have a huge list of companies to now avoid.

Reactions: rboomercat90

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
I don't like their food either.

I just hope/pray there is a CFL when this is all over.
I would say a few teams might be gone. Ottawa once again. And maybe the Argos will finally move to a city that will appreciate having a pro team even if the league is second rate.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

By BP's statement they had made the decision before the current name questioning and were moving in different ways. The chain is in financial trouble, have lost market share for years, and do poorly with younger demographics.

Really the quality of the product has gone down hill.

I only ever ate there very occasionally as I don't consume much fast food of any type.

They're getting priced out of the market too. For what they serve they are higher cost than competitors.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I would say a few teams might be gone. Ottawa once again. And maybe the Argos will finally move to a city that will appreciate having a pro team even if the league is second rate.
First rate League.

Argos won't move. If the government helps out, and I hope they do, the League should rebound with 9 teams.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Ya I'm sure it has everything to do with the name and not their business is failing horribly and dont have money.

Interesting idea. Could it be that some sponsors are just using this opportunity to save themselves some advertising money during these tough economic times while getting getting free publicity kicking sand in the face of their downed former partner.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
By BP's statement they had made the decision before the current name questioning and were moving in different ways. The chain is in financial trouble, have lost market share for years, and do poorly with younger demographics.

I only ever ate there very occasionally as I don't consume much fast food of any type.

They're getting priced out of the market too. For what they serve they are higher cost than competitors.

Yeah,. Expensive and bland. Pretty much always been that way, but now there are other options. While roadtripping when we come across the ole Subway or BPs 2 option town, we choose Subway (reluctantly)

Reactions: ORRFForever

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Interesting idea. Could it be that some sponsors are just using this opportunity to save themselves some advertising money during these tough economic times while getting getting free publicity kicking sand in the face of their downed former partner.

Why not. It works!

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018

I had their pasta twice and it was awful. And, like you said, expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad