Elks: Edmonton Eskimos 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The thing about these media guys that I deeply resent is the fact that they never mention all the work that the Eskimos have done over the years to help kids of color and those who are less fortunate-- especially in some of Edmonton's poorer neighborhoods....not a word of respect for all the great players and staff who have gone above and beyond for people on their own time with no extra compensation.

You can tell in reading the column that Gerein would be only too happy to see the club go out of business, hence his sneering comment about the "Edmonton Eddies." What has this guy ever done for kids around Northern Alberta?

He is part of an organization--the "Journal"-- that is closely aligned with the football club and has been for a very long time, back to the days of Wayne Overland and long before the Edmonton Sun was around. The terms "Edmonton Journal" and "Edmonton Eskimos" have gone hand in hand for multiple decades but again, there is no mention of this fact.

Additionally how many poc have had pretty good livelihood and chances to play with the eskimos for close to a century and many of them getting good cheques and glory here in playing, coaching etc positions when same opportunities were not had elsewhere.

The Eskimos historically did more for equality than arguably any football club on the continent. Should we be reminding people Of Johnny Bright, Rollie Miles, Normie Kwong, etc being allstars here for many years. Or Warren Moon getting a starting chance at being a QB here when the same opportunity was unavailable in the NFL.

On the whole the Eskimos have always been diversified and forward thinking. That seems all too easy to ignore in the haste to attack the brand.

Wayne Overland. ahh, he was a good writer. Back when the Journal had them, and a lot of noteworthy journalists.

Pick up any paper from the 60's online and the articles are much better than they are now. The Journal was such a better read back then. Even as a kid I would pour through the Friday and Saturday editions reading everything in them.

Last edited:

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Yes, the CFL undeniably opened the door for black QB's in football.

Just ask Warren Moon, J.C. Watts, Condrege Holloway, Roy Dewalt etc. etc.

The racist policies of the NFL in the 1970's (yes, that's right, I did say racist policies even though I am a conservative) meant that Warren Moon, a future HOF'er in the NFL would never have been given a shot at the QB position but for an organization called the Edmonton Eskimos who disagreed with the NFL's covert policies.....again.....no mention of that from the cancel- mob.

BTW, my Dad religiously read Overland's comments every time he wrote something. Dad got me hooked on the same stuff.

Reactions: rboomercat90

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Anyone who calls the Eskimos organization racist for keeping the name is out to lunch. The organization has done tons for the community and learning what they did for black QBs is huge

The worst thing you could reasonably call the Eskimos is stubborn or tone def.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
The thing about these media guys that I deeply resent is the fact that they never mention all the work that the Eskimos have done over the years to help kids of color and those who are less fortunate-- especially in some of Edmonton's poorer neighborhoods....not a word of respect for all the great players and staff who have gone above and beyond for people on their own time with no extra compensation.

You can tell in reading the column that Gerein would be only too happy to see the club go out of business, hence his sneering comment about the "Edmonton Eddies." What has this guy ever done for kids around Northern Alberta?

He is part of an organization--the "Journal"-- that is closely aligned with the football club and has been for a very long time, back to the days of Wayne Overland and long before the Edmonton Sun was around. The terms "Edmonton Journal" and "Edmonton Eskimos" have gone hand in hand for multiple decades but again, there is no mention of this fact.

Very likely nothing. The next "wokester" I encounter that is actually out there physically doing something positive for their community will be the first. They're way too busy grand-standing on the internet or whatever platform they've been given to do much else.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Absolutely. I don't think anyone could argue in good faith that the Red Skins name wasn't problematic

Yeah, I’m not really a fan of virtue signalling but ‘Redskins’ is like having the name ‘Whitey’s’ and other skin colour variations. Pretty sure it even qualified as borderline offensive at the time of the team’s inception...

The change was overdue regardless of the climate today and recent events.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
As much as the Redskins name should go the timing of this is bad for the Eskimos brand. Its going to be tilting against windmills now. I think the Eskimos name is probably done, sad to say.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
As much as the Redskins name should go the timing of this is bad for the Eskimos brand. Its going to be tilting against windmills now. I think the Eskimos name is probably done, sad to say.
At the end of the day, it's a name. The team seems to have been floundering the last couple years. Sometimes a rebrand can help bring in new business and maybe bring a new energy to the room.

Reactions: ORRFForever

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
At the end of the day, it's a name. The team seems to have been floundering the last couple years. Sometimes a rebrand can help bring in new business and maybe bring a new energy to the room.

meh the new energy is the CFL is probably dead. The next thing will be a total rebranding, mostly domestic or cheapest possible players and probably WC regular season and no interlocking seasonal games. Only go east if its the Grey Cup. Or maybe they have to change that name too, might have a bad connotation somewhere..

I think the older a person is the harder it becomes to accept change. The reality being if you're a near senior its always going to be the Eskimos. Young people are more inclined to accept change because you have lives in front of you to follow that change. When older theres an easier tendency to just tap out of the latest changes.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
meh the new energy is the CFL is probably dead. The next thing will be a total rebranding, mostly domestic or cheapest possible players and probably WC regular season and no interlocking seasonal games. Only go east if its the Grey Cup. Or maybe they have to change that name too, might have a bad connotation somewhere..

I think the older a person is the harder it becomes to accept change. The reality being if you're a near senior its always going to be the Eskimos. Young people are more inclined to accept change because you have lives in front of you to follow that change. When older theres an easier tendency to just tap out of the latest changes.
Ain't that the truth. I do know that the CFL as a whole has becoming less popular and as much as change sucks overall for the old guard, they need to do something to survive as a league. The games I've been to have only been a fun experience if i got absolutely tanked.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
As someone of an Irish background who cannot walk into a grocery store without seeing a Leprechaun, or go a week without someone joking about Irish people loving to drink / fight, I don't understand why everyone is so sensitive.

As someone who LOVES the CFL, I would keep the Eskimo name.

Reactions: MoneyGuy

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I must say, I still do not forsee a realistic scenario where the CFL isn't back next year largely the same as its been the last few years. Unless we emerge into a world where mass attendance at live sporting events has ended (something that would cause fundamental changes to every sports league), there doesn't seem to be any reason it wouldn't.

Have all the fans who supported the CFL in 2019 suddenly lost their appetite for following professional football? Not likely, why would they? I mean, are any of us diehards here just like "meh I'm done with the CFL, hope it folds"? Of course not.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I must say, I still do not forsee a realistic scenario where the CFL isn't back next year largely the same as its been the last few years. Unless we emerge into a world where mass attendance at live sporting events has ended (something that would cause fundamental changes to every sports league), there doesn't seem to be any reason it wouldn't.

Have all the fans who supported the CFL in 2019 suddenly lost their appetite for following professional football? Not likely, why would they? I mean, are any of us diehards here just like "meh I'm done with the CFL, hope it folds"? Of course not.
Agree. The Federal Government will help keep the CFL alive during the pandemic. :thumbu:

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

The problem as I see it is not that fans wouldn't like to attend (as you said), but the social distancing issue could be with us for another 2-3 years until the virus dies out. I do not have any faith in them finding a vacine, so our world may need to have a serious reset. I don't even see an NHL season next year.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Your first comment seems to insinuate "it's just a name, no big deal". Your last comment seems to insinuate that "that new name can possibly bring in new business and new energy."

Which one is it, a big deal, or not a big deal?

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Your first comment seems to insinuate "it's just a name, no big deal". Your last comment seems to insinuate that "that new name can possibly bring in new business and new energy."

Which one is it, a big deal, or not a big deal?
It is just a name. In the sense that whatever the name is really doesn't matter. Although rebranding can sometimes give companies a boost if done correctly

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

tbh I stopped going to games when Reilly was traded. Haven't been to more than a couple since. Wasn't just Reilly either, the Esks got rid of most of their favorite players, and lost several others after the GC win. Its been hard to cheer for the club and the revolving door the last several seasons.

The CFL increasingly has been a farm league and most players that are good, that you like, are gone unless they are marquee paid. I'd honestly have trouble listing a dozen current Eskimos players right now. Its harder to relate to the product when you can't relate to the players playing for it.

I didn't have faith in how the team was being run on the field or off of it and my patronage just stopped. Been cheering for the Eskimos since the 60's and now theres games I don't even watch. I mean I watch most eskimos games, but formerly it was a rarity to miss any.

Combine this kind of erosion of fandom with Covid-19 and its a real problem for the Eskimos. Lets remember our attendance was taking a severe nosedive before Covid 19.

Reactions: rboomercat90

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
tbh I stopped going to games when Reilly was traded. Haven't been to more than a couple since. Wasn't just Reilly either, the Esks got rid of most of their favorite players, and lost several others after the GC win. Its been hard to cheer for the club and the revolving door the last several seasons.

The CFL increasingly has been a farm league and most players that are good, that you like, are gone unless they are marquee paid. I'd honestly have trouble listing a dozen current Eskimos players right now. Its harder to relate to the product when you can't relate to the players playing for it.

I didn't have faith in how the team was being run on the field or off of it and my patronage just stopped. Been cheering for the Eskimos since the 60's and now theres games I don't even watch. I mean I watch most eskimos games, but formerly it was a rarity to miss any.

Combine this kind of erosion of fandom with Covid-19 and its a real problem for the Eskimos. Lets remember our attendance was taking a severe nosedive before Covid 19.
The cfl has turned into a revolving door of players so it’s hard to connect to.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
The problem as I see it is not that fans wouldn't like to attend (as you said), but the social distancing issue could be with us for another 2-3 years until the virus dies out. I do not have any faith in them finding a vacine, so our world may need to have a serious reset. I don't even see an NHL season next year.
Judging by the crowds in the last 2 years, at least on the west side of the stadium- away from the tv cameras, social distancing wasn’t a problem anyway. ;)

The CFL’s problem is their fan base is an aging demographic. Young fans for whatever reason haven’t been replacing the older fans It’s seemed noticeable every season for the last several years that the crowd numbers were significantly dropping even before Covid hit. Not sure what that crowd would look like with two years or longer in between home games anyway. Throw the uncertainty of what Covid has brought into the mix and I can’t see it being business as usual either.

Reactions: CycloneSweep
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad