Elks: Edmonton Eskimos 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I used to post all the time here until the forum went down the tubes.

Great add.
You showed up and started arguing with yourself, no one has objected what you’re saying that it’s within the esks right to change the name if they want to.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
How does a fly-over support service members?

Do you know what supports service members? Giving them decent pay and giving them proper medical and mental health help when they return home.

And not sending them on foreign adventures for no real good reason (this has more to do with the US)
We have a military base just outside the city. We have a major aircraft base just north of us. Like it or not, we are a military city. And military cities tend to invite portions of the military to perform at events.
Our military is one of the most respected in the world, one of the best trained and always willing to help out no matter the cause. They go where they are sent and do the job, regardless of the moral approval. They should be honored and respected, especially in these troubled times. And all this while being badly equipped and treated pathetically by our government after years of service. Having them perform or recognized at public events keeps them in the public’s eye and allows us to show our gratitude for what they do for us. Just wish the government would have the same recognition for them as well.
Have no idea how the military got involved in a conversation about some twits trying to stir things up and make themselves feel good about themselves by thinking they are helping out a small group of people over something that the majority of those people could really give a crap about. Far larger issues these days than getting worked up over a name that has been around for a couple hundred years and is not even used to describe said people anymore.

Kepler 186f

Red Shifted
Dec 17, 2007
You showed up and started arguing with yourself, no one has objected what you’re saying that it’s within the esks right to change the name if they want to.

You seemed to object since you decided to come at me with a snarky reply.

Or do you just like seeing your words online regardless of their validity or purpose?

Kepler 186f

Red Shifted
Dec 17, 2007
We have a military base just outside the city. We have a major aircraft base just north of us. Like it or not, we are a military city. And military cities tend to invite portions of the military to perform at events.
Our military is one of the most respected in the world, one of the best trained and always willing to help out no matter the cause. They go where they are sent and do the job, regardless of the moral approval. They should be honored and respected, especially in these troubled times. And all this while being badly equipped and treated pathetically by our government after years of service. Having them perform or recognized at public events keeps them in the public’s eye and allows us to show our gratitude for what they do for us. Just wish the government would have the same recognition for them as well.
Have no idea how the military got involved in a conversation about some twits trying to stir things up and make themselves feel good about themselves by thinking they are helping out a small group of people over something that the majority of those people could really give a crap about. Far larger issues these days than getting worked up over a name that has been around for a couple hundred years and is not even used to describe said people anymore.

You're right.

So why get worked up if some people want the name changed? And if the organization decides they do want to change the name and act on it?

Don't you have some other cause you find more deserving of your time and energy?

What the CFL does is not overboard (yet) in regards to the military.

It has gone out of control in the States.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I find it interesting that when a topic like this comes up that deals with virtue signaling and political correctness, that posters I have never heard of or rarely post come on en masse and stay on relentlessly to make sure their point is heard loud and clear.

Just start talking about football and they will disappear. ;)

Reactions: Drivesaitl

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Sounds like they are talking about a 6 game season with all teams making the playoffs. To be played in a Hub, likely Winnipeg.

Say what we want to criticize the other leagues return to play plans, but a 6 game schedule with 8 team playoff, in a 9 team league seems to be the stupidest. Understood, they don't really have time for much else, how do you make an equitable schedule work with that? Especially if Toronto and Ottawa suck as much as they likely will. Whoever doesn't get a game or games against them totally gets jobbed.

Kepler 186f

Red Shifted
Dec 17, 2007
Sounds like they are talking about a 6 game season with all teams making the playoffs. To be played in a Hub, likely Winnipeg.

So a six game warm-up then a playoff in a single site with low COVID problems.

Makes sense from a safety point of view.

Kepler 186f

Red Shifted
Dec 17, 2007
Say what we want to criticize the other leagues return to play plans, but a 6 game schedule with 8 team playoff, in a 9 team league seems to be the stupidest. Understood, they don't really have time for much else, how do you make an equitable schedule work with that?

From a player and staff safety point of view it makes sense.

Sports wise, no.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I find it interesting that when a topic like this comes up that deals with virtue signaling and political correctness, that posters I have never heard of or rarely post come on en masse and stay on relentlessly to make sure their point is heard loud and clear.

I'm just waiting for Angry Bagel Guy or Costco Ken to show up. That would make the roster complete.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
You're right.

So why get worked up if some people want the name changed? Why get worked up about it? And if the organization decides they do want to change the name and act on it?

Don't you have some other cause you find more deserving of your time and energy?

What the CFL does is not overboard (yet) in regards to the military.

It has gone out of control in the States.
I would put this back at you and ask, why does the movement to change the name started in the first place? Could not those resources and energy be put to a worthy and much more needed cause?
And the organization has not decided they want to change the name. They have stated several times that they have consulted those directly affected and have been told by the majority that it’s not a big deal. Where have you seen that they want to change it?

Kepler 186f

Red Shifted
Dec 17, 2007
I would put this back at you and ask, why does the movement to change the name started in the first place? Could not those resources and energy be put to a worthy and much more needed cause?
And the organization has not decided they want to change the name. They have stated several times that they have consulted those directly affected and have been told by the majority that it’s not a big deal. Where have you seen that they want to change it?

Yes, the folks that are pushing for the name change should instead use their energies to actually push for policies and social movement towards bettering the lives of First Nations people. Absolutely.

But I can't stop some, all or a couple of them from contacting the organization with their concerns. And likewise, I would hold no sway over the Eskimos or any other organization which felt they would be best served by a name change. Which I am 100% positive would be because they would see such a change as having a positive outcome for their bottom line.

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007
Winnipeg definitely has the facilities to be a hub city for the CFL:

upload_2020-7-8_15-10-45.png
Loo

Look how many fields there are there lol.

That said I highly doubt there will be a 2020 CFL season.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
What' the hotel situation around there? I haven't been to Winnipeg since I was a teen.

It's by the University, so I'd imagine there's a bit of a challenge there unless they shut down classrooms still for the fall, which is their current plan, then they may have access to the dorms.

Kepler 186f

Red Shifted
Dec 17, 2007
It's by the University, so I'd imagine there's a bit of a challenge there unless they shut down classrooms still for the fall then they may have access to the dorms.

That would work, they could have meal prep on-site too.

Kepler 186f

Red Shifted
Dec 17, 2007
Onsite housing for 1300+ rooms with communal kitchens so yeah it could work with adequate testing only if the University doesn't actually still have students onsite.

Yeah, kind of an important sticking point.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay

The social Justin’s always come out whenever the topic comes about and disappear just as fast when the talk returns to sports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad