Status
Not open for further replies.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Edmonton Empire???????????????? what???
How about this one es·ca·lade(form of a military attack)

Edmonton Escalades << you keep the double "EE" logo

"Escalades" sounds much more smoother and more classy than "Empire"

I think that's the best alternative I've seen yet to use the EE. Even fits into the fight song. Though we'd have to adopt the hook and ladder as the signature play.

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
Lets play a game, Lets rename the team

Edmonton Wombats? Edmonton Mallers? Edmonton Icicles? Edmonton Black Ice? Edmonton Northerners? Edmonton Drunkards? The Edmonton Alexander Hamiltons?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The pumping up of the military and cops during sporting events (especially in the US) is disturbing.

That is actually directly bring politics into sports.

And since that supposedly rankles you it should disturb you too.

In clarity I'm no fan of anthems at events, military signalling at sporting events etc. But I'm no fan either of the new signalling that will replace it and already has at other entertainment venues. For instance the Citadel Theater and others arts entities elaborating on treaty 6 and being allowed to exist here before every production, opening, and performance. Each is posturing and signalling something. To me its all indoctrination, and isn't required.

So we probably share that view.

Kneeling, black panther salutes, waving flags, that's all bringing politics into sports too.

Just out of curiosity do you live in the US now? That likely alters ones current perspective somewhat.

As disconcerting as present times are the 60's were likely more divisive. That just stated as an aside.

samiam

Oct 4, 2010
Edmonton Exterminators!!

7367969f6ecd7e4064e07b1e0ac74f81.jpg

Reactions: SavesFromKosko

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Are you as upset with the free advertising the military gets at sporting events?

That and police worship.

I find that far more disturbing.
Army should be advertised and supported. Try leaving your family for 8 months and then having some typical weenie complain about a jet fly over.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
What was evident from my first two posts?

Signalling.

You temporally invoked police, military, concerns said you were offended by them and suggested that the posts about the brand in this thread were just "performative outrage", another favorite signalling term.

I don't think it takes a lot of deduction to assert that you were invoking those things, in words, and where your opinion falls in relation to them.

Which you initiated out of the blue after months of not posting in any thread here, and years of not posting in any Eskimos thread here.

It rang your bell.

Last edited:

Kepler 186f

Red Shifted
Dec 17, 2007
Excuse me but what does the national anthem have to do with cop worship? I have never heard this one before. Please explain.

What? Where did I state that?

I mean playing the National Anthem (any National Anthem) before anything is ridiculous, but harmless.

Where in the world did that come from?

BTW...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...9aab64-b05d-11e8-9a6a-565d92a3585d_story.html
The national anthem blared over Busch Stadium, and David Meggyesy stood in line with — but apart from — his St. Louis Cardinals teammates. A mandate had come from the NFL during the week: When “The Star-Spangled Banner” played, players would line up facing the flag, helmet tucked under their left arm and right hand placed over their heart.
“What I said,” Meggyesy recalled, “was no.”
Meggyesy, a 26-year-old linebacker, bowed his head and held the face mask of his helmet with one hand, letting it rest between his knee and hip.
The year was 1968, and as the Vietnam War raged on, Meggyesy saw no other way to address the conflict he felt. In his mind, the league was overtly backing the war effort to appease Middle America. “The younger people,” he said, “understood what the f--- was going on.” The St. Louis antiwar chapter operated out of a third-floor office in his house.
By the end of the 1968 season, despite playing at a near-all-pro level, Meggyesy would be benched. By the end of the 1969 season, he was out of the league for good — blackballed, he believes, for his stance.
“I was more pissed about their response of militarism, patriotism and all that more than anything,” Meggyesy recalled this summer in a phone conversation. “And the overt burden of the players, saying, ‘You’re the chattel out here, and you’ve got no say how we’re going to do it and salute the flag.’ Which is a personal decision for anybody

In 2015, an oversight report by Sens. Jeff Flake and John McCain of Arizona revealed the NFL as one of several leagues that accepted Department of Defense funds to stage military tributes, a practice known as paid patriotism. (The league eventually gave back more than $700,000, drawing praise from Flake.) Joe Lockhart, a former Clinton administration staffer, had just joined the NFL as a spokesman when the scandal broke.
“As I dug into that a little bit, the National Guard, which is probably the most aggressive advertiser at NFL games, talked about how it was the single best recruitment vehicle they had,” said Lockhart, who left the NFL last year. “Which is just interesting. I think there is a connection. . . . Football Sundays have a connection to what a lot of people view as patriotism.”

Into the 1980s and 1990s, the NFL continued to position itself as a patriotic entity, using the Super Bowl as its largest platform. The game became a de facto national holiday, a celebration of both sport and country. The league coordinated flyovers with the Department of Defense, with the national anthem a central part of the spectacle.

When the United States launched the war in Afghanistan later in the fall, it happened on a Sunday morning. President Bush’s speech announcing the campaign played on video boards in NFL stadiums. Sporting events became a source of normalcy and communion.
As wars in the Middle East wore on, the NFL’s brand of patriotism placed the military at the fore of its charitable efforts and its brand. Military tributes are pervasive at games, so commonplace that the Marines used the appeal of them in a recruitment commercial. In 2009, Army Gen. David H. Petraeus flipped the opening coin of the Super Bowl at midfield.

But the prevalence of the tributes worries some. The service members presented at games can feel like props, part of a show. The camouflage uniforms and accessories can cheapen the sacrifice of soldiers and prohibit critical thinking about the military.
“It almost feels like it’s a mandatory patriotism that is pushed down the throats of anybody who wants to attend a game,” said former Army Ranger and author Rory Fanning, who has become a vocal critic of America’s wars. “By trotting out veterans, patting them on the back, I don’t think it does justice to the actual experience of veterans, particularly over the last 18 years. There certainly isn’t an opportunity for veterans to talk about their experiences in combat. So many veterans don’t feel like the heroes the NFL wants to present them as.”

Kepler 186f

Red Shifted
Dec 17, 2007
Signalling.

You temporally invoked police, military, concerns said you were offended by them and suggested that the posts in this thread were just "performative outrage", another favorite signalling term.

I don't think it takes a lot of deduction to assert that you were invoking those things, in words, and where your opinion falls in relation to them.

Which you initiated out of the blue after months of not posting in any thread here, and years of not posting in any Eskimos thread here.

It rang your bell.

LOL, signalling.

And yes, I find the use of the military personnel as props disturbing. So should you.

I do respect those who serve and their sacrifices. Using their service for patriotic pageantry is not cool at all.

Giving free tickets to service members is fine. Just as giving tickets to the needy, physically disadvantaged, those who have done good works for their community, etc, etc.

Kepler 186f

Red Shifted
Dec 17, 2007
Army should be advertised and supported. Try leaving your family for 8 months and then having some typical weenie complain about a jet fly over.

How does a fly-over support service members?

Do you know what supports service members? Giving them decent pay and giving them proper medical and mental health help when they return home.

And not sending them on foreign adventures for no real good reason (this has more to do with the US)

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
LOL, signalling.

And yes, I find the use of the military personnel as props disturbing. So should you.

I do respect those who serve and their sacrifices. Using their service for patriotic pageantry is not cool at all.

Giving free tickets to service members is fine. Just as giving tickets to the needy, physically disadvantaged, those who have done good works for their community, etc, etc.

I've already clarified my stance on the bolded in another reply to you.

The Eskimos do other giveaways, school giveaways, other free or low cost ticket promotions.

In anycase not everybody agrees whether there ought to be anthems, military salutes, fly overs, or police in attendance at events. Just that I'm not going to push my own beliefs on that on other people in the name of some kind of uber virtue.

Just a punter.

Reactions: DecadeofDarkness

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

Do you know what supports service members? Giving them decent pay and giving them proper medical and mental health help when they return home.

And not sending them on foreign adventures for no real good reason (this has more to do with the US)
Spoken like a person who doesn’t have a clue about serving.

Reactions: MoontoScott

Kepler 186f

Red Shifted
Dec 17, 2007
Spoken like a person who doesn’t have a clue about serving.

You sure about that?

My father was in the army.

I go to Remembrance Day events whenever I am in Canada or the UK on the 11th or Veterans Day when I was living in the States.

When back home in Spain, I observe it myself.

Don't speak to that which you cannot know.

Not responding any more, your reply was a hot take. Not going to go any further with this.

Last edited:

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
You sure about that?

My father was in the army.

I go to Remembrance Day events whenever I am in Canada or the UK on the 11th or Veterans Day when I was living in the States.

When back home in Spain, I observe it myself.

Don't speak to that which you cannot know.

Not responding any more, your reply was a hot take. Not going to go any further with this.
Edit: nvm.
Anyways think a whole cancelled season tubes the league?

Last edited:

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

I’ll let the esks know they should increase the pay of military personnel

Reactions: SavesFromKosko

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I find it interesting that when a topic like this comes up that deals with virtue signaling and political correctness, that posters I have never heard of or rarely post come on en masse and stay on relentlessly to make sure their point is heard loud and clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad