Elks: Edmonton Eskimos 2019 v5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I doubt that very much. Evans has looked every bit the part of reliable starting QB, with some great games thrown in here and there. He has grown and matured a ton this season, and has some fantastic weapons at his disposal. And the defense there continues to be strong.
And too soon people forget, that Harris had the gaudy stats before he got hurt, but couldn't finish drives and wimped out anywhere near the red zone. Not to mention, could not beat anyone not named B.C. Toronto, or Ottawa (other than Montreal very early in the season). He was trashed on here like crazy before he got hurt. Now, he's going to lead us to the promised land? I think not.

I said they’re beatable, not that it’s a certainty we will beat them.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I doubt that very much. Evans has looked every bit the part of reliable starting QB, with some great games thrown in here and there. He has grown and matured a ton this season, and has some fantastic weapons at his disposal. And the defense there continues to be strong.
And too soon people forget, that Harris had the gaudy stats before he got hurt, but couldn't finish drives and wimped out anywhere near the red zone. Not to mention, could not beat anyone not named B.C. Toronto, or Ottawa (other than Montreal very early in the season). He was trashed on here like crazy before he got hurt. Now, he's going to lead us to the promised land? I think not.

If I'm Hamilton, I think I'd retain Evans in the off-season and move on from Masoli, unless things suddenly fall apart. Evans has been just as good, and doesn't have the uncertainty of trying to rebound from a major injury. You've got to think Ottawa and Toronto are going make a serious push to bring Masoli in during free agency. Winnipeg and ourselves could even be in the mix.

I agree with you that us beating Hamilton is a longshot. As good as their offense is, their defense is probably the best in the league right now. If they can just maintain their sharpness over these last three weeks and avoid injuries, they should be a prohibitive favorite to win the Grey Cup heading into the playoffs.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I said they’re beatable, not that it’s a certainty we will beat them.
Lol, of course, EVERY team is "beatable" on any given day. Way to throw it out there.:laugh:

My point though, was that the Ticats haven't really lost a lot of steps without Masoli.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
3 years ago the 10-8 Eskimos barely beat the 7-11 Ti-Cats in the East Semis, and then got trounced by the 8-9-1 Redblacks in the East final. People always seem to underestimate how hard it is for the the crossover team to get to the Grey Cup even when it's an above average team in the crossover position. No crossover team has ever made the Grey Cup, having a total record of 4-11 when going East. Now add on to the fact that the Tiger Cats are far superior to the Eskimos and I would say the Eskimos have somewhere between 1 and 2% chance of winning both games in the east playoffs.

Edit: Lions had a better record than the Ti-Cats last year despite playing more Western teams, and got destroyed 48-8 in the East semi

An often misunderstood fact in the CFL is that both divisions have the exact same amount of games against each division.

There are 5 teams in the West, so the East plays 10 games vs. the West, 8 vs. the East.

There are only 4 teams in the East, so the West plays 8 games vs. the East and 10 vs. the West.

The only small advantage gained by the "good" eastern teams is that they make up those 8 games vs. only 3 teams and often 2 of them are bad, whereas there is usually only one "bad" western team, if any.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
5:30 in this highlight video for the controversial catch by Tevaun Smith at the back of the endzone.

This video begs the question whether highlights should ever be called lowlights.

Did anything of note at all really happen in the 2nd half.

I should cue this up on repeat when I'm suffering from insomnia.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Harris activated from the 6-game injured list. Doesn't necessarily mean he's starting Saturday, but good news that he's healthy enough to return to practice.
If they took him off the 6 game I would think it's highly likely he starts

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
This video begs the question whether highlights should ever be called lowlights.

Did anything of note at all really happen in the 2nd half.

I should cue this up on repeat when I'm suffering from insomnia.

Yeah. That was the most boring game of the year so far.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
If they took him off the 6 game I would think it's highly likely he starts

You're probably right, but they do need to see him in practice to confirm either way. Reality is him at less than 100% >>>>> Kilgore anyday let alone when Kilgore himself isn't even 100%.

They don't need the win though so I'll be interested to see how they handle this. Not knowing the specifics on Harris' injury we have no idea how susceptible to re-injury it is. If re-injury of this specific issue is unlikely then go to town, if there is any risk at all, he should get a short leash.

Knowing Maas' history, he's likely to play a lot either way though.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
You're probably right, but they do need to see him in practice to confirm either way. Reality is him at less than 100% >>>>> Kilgore anyday let alone when Kilgore himself isn't even 100%.

They don't need the win though so I'll be interested to see how they handle this. Not knowing the specifics on Harris' injury we have no idea how susceptible to re-injury it is. If re-injury of this specific issue is unlikely then go to town, if there is any risk at all, he should get a short leash.

Wouldn’t surprise me at all to see the team rush him back only to see him get hurt again before the playoff game.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013

I forgot about the rule regarding not even being allowed to practice if on the 6 game IR, so that makes sense. Anyways, Harris is obviously at least close to 100% and I agree he should be on a shorter leash. The only thing that matters is shaking some rust off and getting comfortable in the offense again. Maas needs to be smart here.

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
Harris is obviously at least close to 100% and I agree he should be on a shorter leash. The only thing that matters is shaking some rust off and getting comfortable in the offense again. Maas needs to be smart here.
While I'm not as down on Logan Kilgore as some, it's obvious that there's a far better chance of Trevor Harris helping to shake the Eskimos' offence from their doldrums than him. Besides shedding rust, that's the main thing I want to see the last 2 games. If that can be accomplished regardless the number of game reps for Harris, then so be it.

Reactions: bone

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Checking out his interview, it appears Harris was healthy enough for the BC game. Good news as that suggests he is truly 100%. If so, let him play as long as it takes to get the offense in sync again provided the game result is still in the balance.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Kind of torn on this news. It will be nice to have a chance at beating Sask, even if the games mean nothing in the standings for us. But the only (realistic) way the Stampeders don't finish in first is if we lose both, and I really don't want to see them in the Grey Cup. If they finish second it at least provides two opportunities to choke, and it's doubtful they'd get any favourable calls in a playoff game in Regina. Then the Ti-Cats can stomp the Riders in the Grey Cup, we fire Maas, and the season actually ends on a relative high note!

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012

He was a monster of a player when he was with the Esks.

I don't know what our cap situation is in terms of signing him but hey who wouldn't want a shot at the cup especially when he looks at the situation with the Esks. Players talk and I'm sure he's aware of the team's frustrations.

No matter what the case, another great move by Hufnagel, master of player recruitment.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

I don't know what our cap situation is in terms of signing him but hey who wouldn't want a shot at the cup especially when he looks at the situation with the Esks. Players talk and I'm sure he's aware of the team's frustrations.

No matter what the case, another great move by Hufnagel, master of player recruitment.

Damn it.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
The Stamps first brought in Marcus Ball a couple weeks ago but he suffered a knee injury in his debut. Obviously they are looking for an experienced vet LB as insurance going into the playoffs. Without Bo Levi spending a full 6 games on the Injured list I doubt they would have been afforded this luxury. McCoil will get a solid pay check for little work if the Stamps get that Grey Cup bonus.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

Sounds like his friendship with Sherritt may have helped him when it came time to choose a team.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
If you were a player coming back to the CFL would you choose the Eskimos over the Stamps?
If winning was a priority I sure as hell wouldnt.

@Kyle McMahon posted earlier about giving Chris Jones a blank cheque and total control over football ops. I was initially against that idea, but you know what? I’d be willing to give it a shot.

You might even be able to circumvent the coaches cap by paying him pennies in his capacity as HC but a boatload as POFO.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
@Kyle McMahon posted earlier about giving Chris Jones a blank cheque and total control over football ops. I was initially against that idea, but you know what? I’d be willing to give it a shot.

You might even be able to circumvent the coaches cap by paying him pennies in his capacity as HC but a boatload as POFO.

The thing about Chris Jones is that you never get the impression that he is a long term guy. His history suggests that he is good for 2-3 years and he is gone.

Thats the beauty of having Hufnagel in Calgary...he is a very smart football man and he is committed to the Stamps.
He provides smart football Operations decision making and in addition he provides stability.
Thats the key to a winning franchise...stability.

Jones doesnt bring that at all.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
The thing about Chris Jones is that you never get the impression that he is a long term guy. His history suggests that he is good for 2-3 years and he is gone.

Thats the beauty of having Hufnagel in Calgary...he is a very smart football man and he is committed to the Stamps.
He provides smart football Ops and decision making and in addition he provides stability.
Thats the key to a winning franchise...stability.

Jones doesnt bring that at all.

At this point I’ll take 3 years of good coaching, scouting and recruitment.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
At this point I’ll take 3 years of good coaching, scouting and recruitment.

Me too. Even if he leaves you high and dry after three years, the foundation to excel should remain. He took over a 4-14 team here and proceeded to go what...26-10?...with a Western Finals loss to the only team that was better than we were and Grey Cup win.

Somewhat similar in Saskatchewan, though it took an extra year for him to clean up the previous mess. If they weren't forced to turn to Brandon Bridge at QB in the playoffs last year, they may well have won the Grey Cup. Jones' one failure (both here and in Sask) was entrusting offensive play calling to Steve McAdoo, who just isn't very good at it.

Perfect fantasy scenario for me is Jones as GM and associate head coach/d-coordinator and Paul Lapolice as OC/associate head coach. Although I would say there's a decent chance Lapolice is the Bombers head coach next year, or at least the Bombers attempt to go in that direction. I don't think Mike O'Shea is a bad head coach per se, but this will be the third year in a row (barring a very late turnaround) that Winnipeg has been shot out of a cannon in June/July only to fold in the second half of the year and/or playoffs. If they're a one-and-done playoff team this season, that's one playoff win in six years for O'Shea, and you'd have to think it's time to move on. Different regime, but Lapolice got them to a Grey Cup and then got gassed in August of the next season for goodness sake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad