Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
S2n9Sgb.gif
This is terrifying. What is in the water up there in Canada :eek:

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I'm hoping that in the off-season Presson can create the sort of optimism in the Eskimo organization that Holland has brought to the Oilers even though they don't have equivalent positions.

Agree that the entertainment value has never been lower.

And the thing is, we just saw how easy it is to create optimism. Look at the optimism that surrounded this team just two months ago. The new president came in, offered cheap tickets and cheap booze, the team won some games early, and attendance and fan morale accordingly spiked. The formula is very simple:

-Affordable tickets and cheap booze. If people can go watch a decent football game and get drunk for $50 or $60 bucks, they'll fill the stadium. Attendance spiked big time in August when they brought in these promotions. I cancelled my season tickets, yet still went out of my way to attend some games simply because being in the stadium drinking affordable beer on a summer evening is enjoyable.

-Just win half your bloody games against the decent opponents. That's it, just half. If you can go out and battle your way to a 5-5 record against the other four western teams, you're going to be 11-7 or thereabouts every season. The Eastern Division never fails to provide at least two, sometimes three, pathetic teams that are basically free wins on the schedule. We got spotted a 4-0 start simply by virtue of Toronto and Ottawa existing this season. How god damn hard is it to go 7-7 in the other 14 games? Not very. Calgary, Sask, and Winnipeg had no problems doing so. Hell, they all managed to lose a game to the Argos or Redblacks, so in theory we were already one up on everyone else.

The frustrating thing is, most other franchises are quick to fire bad coaches and managers, even if they replace them with guys who aren't any better. Look at Toronto. Trestman sucks, they fired him a year after winning a Grey Cup, smart move. Two bad years from Jim Popp? Fired. Yeah, they blew it with the Chamblin hire. Guess what? He's probably getting fired too. Look at Montreal. Mike Sherman, didn't look great last year, made the call to fire him in training camp this year. Worked out great for them. Rumblings are growing stronger that O'Shea won't be back in Winnipeg unless they win the Grey Cup, and why not, you don't give somebody endless chances. Ottawa might be firing Rick Campbell after one bad season that was preceded by several good ones. I actually wouldn't agree with that move, but it just goes to show the mentality: better to fire a guy too soon than too late.

8 CFL franchises operate with this mentality. 1 of them doesn't. And 1 of them is about to not appear in the Grey Cup for the 13th time in 14 seasons. Worse than every single other franchise. Not at all a coincidence. Any random idiot from the stands could have done better than the 4th-3rd-5th-4th string of finishes that Maas has put together. It's almost impossible to do that bad with the resources this franchise has.

Reactions: Yeah15

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Didn't even bother watching one minute of the Esks game. Had it PVR'ed and merely glanced at it occasionally while working around the house. Seemed like the Esks scoreline stayed at 16 for eternity and that without Reilly the Leos were going have trouble catching up to that meager total. I guess this game is symbolic of when a win can be a loss. Really I suspect nobody watching this game won, you lost 3hrs of your life.

I did watch some of the AL's Bombers game just out of curiosity and imo only the Bombers abject fear of Vernon Adams kept it close. Its like they were superstitious all game that this guy was some magician that was going to bring down the house again. They play right into his hands time and again, I have no idea why.

The Vernon Adams I saw was perennially impulsive passing long bombs into coverage all day long and just mindlessly putting it up. He had 4 picks in the 2nd half that I watched. With Rod Black punching him up like he's Warren Moon all game long. Rod Blacks commentary was so biased it was sickening. Is it just me or is he always pumping up the Eastern team.

The scoreline was a 3 score bombers lead and the whole time Rod Black is saying things Like Al's are for real, they're so good, here they come, they strike fear in everyone blah blah. Despite the Bombers self destructing often, and Steveler throwing the worst advised ball you can imagine, for a pick at the worst time, the Bombers couldn't even throw this game away this time. As much as the Bombers were self destructing Vernon Adams was having none of it. With steel eyed determination he bagged the loss and flew home out of the frozen cold tundra. From the Airport in Minnesota..

My lasting impression once again is the CFL has become some kind of pretend ballgame. A league so bad it defies you to change the channel or be disinterested. every week its a faux hype show but the actual team play is pathetic.

The whole time I'm wondering how the Stamps lost twice to this Al's club.

Maybe Hamilton is a good team, maybe the only one. The CFL could use one or two teams that are actually good. A start.
I know you were saying in the past that he Bombers could drop Matt Nichols like a hot potato and Chris Streveler could take them to places Nichols could not. Was wondering how you feel now, that Streveler has had a grade A chance at running the offence and leading the team?

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
I know you were saying in the past that he Bombers could drop Matt Nichols like a hot potato and Chris Streveler could take them to places Nichols could not. Was wondering how you feel now, that Streveler has had a grade A chance at running the offence and leading the team?

I feel like Streveler must have rocks roaming around in his cerebral cortex. Man, every physical gift but decision making that is just incomprehensible. Lets see. Your up two TD's late in the game and all you have to do to win is make the clock go down and eat the time clock as much as possible. You respond instead by throwing a pick that gets returned back to your 30 on the very next play. A ball that was thrown into double, almost triple coverage, seemingly tempting the opposition to take a foothold in the game..

Its hard to like these QB's But man, Nichols threw 6 picks in one game once. Its like clowns leading the circus and making clown decisions. They should have IQ tests or something;)

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I feel like Streveler must have rocks roaming around in his cerebral cortex. Man, every physical gift but decision making that is just incomprehensible. Lets see. Your up two TD's late in the game and all you have to do to win is make the clock go down and eat the time clock as much as possible. You respond instead by throwing a pick that gets returned back to your 30 on the very next play. A ball that was thrown into double, almost triple coverage, seemingly tempting the opposition to take a foothold in the game..

Its hard to like these QB's But man, Nichols threw 6 picks in one game once. Its like clowns leading the circus and making clown decisions. They should have IQ tests or something;)
I don't think he's a very good passer. A good backup option to throw a different look once in a while, but that's about it. Another Tim Tebow.

Reactions: Kyle McMahon

Daryls Friend

May 14, 2017
I heard on Gregors show today that the Esks management f***ed up so bad in their salary cap calculations that they had to ask and get some players to take salary cuts so they would not exceed the cap. Some as high as 30k!!! Like wtf??? The implication from Gregor was clear that perhaps some of the horrific play was partially because of that. If true, what kind of ineptness is there in management?
As well Gregor (who I think is plugged in to the Esks) suggested that the Esks have way bigger problems problems far beyond what firing Maas (imo an idiot) could solve. Oiler like almost.
Do I have that right Jason?

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I heard on Gregors show today that the Esks management ****ed up so bad in their salary cap calculations that they had to ask and get some players to take salary cuts so they would not exceed the cap. Some as high as 30k!!! Like wtf??? The implication from Gregor was clear that perhaps some of the horrific play was partially because of that. If true, what kind of ineptness is there in management?
As well Gregor (who I think is plugged in to the Esks) suggested that the Esks have way bigger problems problems far beyond what firing Maas (imo an idiot) could solve. Oiler like almost.
Jesus

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I heard on Gregors show today that the Esks management ****ed up so bad in their salary cap calculations that they had to ask and get some players to take salary cuts so they would not exceed the cap. Some as high as 30k!!! Like wtf??? The implication from Gregor was clear that perhaps some of the horrific play was partially because of that. If true, what kind of ineptness is there in management?

I wish Gregor or someone else would just do us all a favor and shine a light on the the BoD.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

An entire organization that apparently can’t do basic math would qualify as a bigger problem.

actually the biggest problem is that the league may have swept this under the table and gave the Esks leniency and time to sort things out instead of forcing them to release players to get under the cap.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
An entire organization that apparently can’t do basic math would qualify as a bigger problem.

actually the biggest problem is that the league may have swept this under the table and gave the Esks leniency and time to sort things out instead of forcing them to release players to get under the cap.
Probably shouldn't buy calculators from Bob Sacamano

Reactions: TB12 and Cloned

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I don't really get how big problems can really be. It's the CFL you can start from scratch and be competitive in a couple years.

Is there too much influence from BOD fanboys? If so then that's a bit of a problem, but I was always under the impression they didn't care what the hell was happening as long as they were making money.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
There have been rumblings of the cap issue for quite some time. Those simplifying things down to blaming people for math are forgetting that the league was in the middle of CBA negotiations and no cap number was actually finalized until very late, and in the end the number was lower than most anticipated.

That doesn't excuse poor planning and overestimating what the number would become, but I can somewhat understand it given that the team needed to do something positive in light of losing their franchise player. The team as it is, lost a ton of season ticket holders over last off-season. Imagine what would have happened if they didn't create a buzz through free agency.

Hopefully, though, it hasn't damaged the relationships with players and agents so much so that they can't do right by it going forward.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Does it really surprise anyone that they messed up financially? Their head coach can't even do basic math to figure out that kicking a field goal and only getting 3 points with so little time left is impossible. This was years ago and hes still here. I am sure there are even worse geniuses in this organization.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->