Elks: Edmonton Eskimos 2019 v5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
3dfx71.jpg

*I wish I could photoshop Chiarelli's head in there, but oh well.

And he would have gotten away with it too if it wasn't for us lousy kids.

Reactions: rboomercat90

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
If you think it is uncommon for teams in the cfl to ask players to take salary cuts due to cap implications I think that is a bit naive. Many teams do it.
Now if you sign a guy to a deal and then a month later ask them to take a cut more than the odd time there is an issue.
It's also tougher to keep a handle on things like this than it used to be due to the cap on coaching and admin side.

Reactions: joestevens29

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
The EE have $13M in a stabilization fund so their financial concerns are trivial compared to the rest of the league.

In contrast, Montreal has supposedly lost over $20M in the last few years, miraculous when you have a salary cap of less than $5M.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I didn't watch the last game but in the Journal one of the columnists is on record saying Jason Maas challenged a call, didn't get his way, and then threw the challenge flag in the garbage. The writer of course suggested that this was poor role modeling to a team lacking discipline control. I mean this just the latest example but there's multiples every game and this being a head coach that promised, vowed, that he would get his own act together and he needs to. Why is nobody reminding Jason Maas of any of that?

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
I didn't watch the last game but in the Journal one of the columnists is on record saying Jason Maas challenged a call, didn't get his way, and then threw the challenge flag in the garbage. The writer of course suggested that this was poor role modeling to a team lacking discipline control. I mean this just the latest example but there's multiples every game and this being a head coach that promised, vowed, that he would get his own act together and he needs to. Why is nobody reminding Jason Maas of any of that?

Because he would yell at them at call them f***ing morons and throw a tantrum. Also a possibility of karate kicking the office water cooler.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Because he would yell at them at call them ****ing morons and throw a tantrum. Also a possibility of karate kicking the office water cooler.

After a while, people give up on telling someone that they should be more mature.

Jason still has his supporters and they aren't interested in any criticisms of him. That's all he thinks he needs--maybe he's right.

Last edited:

Darkwinter

Apr 4, 2010
I am not mass biggest fan but I do like that he brings colour instead of black and white all the time . The sad thing is, it's affecting our team

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
If the Esks get blown away in Montreal, I fully expect Maas to be released. If he is not, then I want Sunderland removed as well. However, if Maas is replaced, then I would give Sunderland one more season to make us competitive. His signings of big name free agents has turned out to be mediocre, but besides keeping Maas, his biggest blunder has been bringing in chopped liver in a washed up (never was) journeyman at backup quarterback and crossing his fingers. Not like Harris is built of stone either or the toughest hombre like his predecessor. When I see other teams riding their backups with varying degrees of success (Fajardo, Evans, Arbuckle, Streveler, etc) and we trot out a guy that has his arm come out of it's socket throwing a 35 yard pass, it's time to question what we're doing.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Once again the AL's just don't impress me. They need Toronto to not make a 51yd FG with the wind in order to salvage a win, at home, against the Toronto Argonauts. Montreal is a very beatable team.

Theres light years difference between quality of Hamilton vs Montreal. Esks can beat Montreal with Harris in. Probably no chance against Hamilton

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Once again the AL's just don't impress me. They need Toronto to not make a 51yd FG with the wind in order to salvage a win, at home, against the Toronto Argonauts. Montreal is a very beatable team.

Theres light years difference between quality of Hamilton vs Montreal. Esks can beat Montreal with Harris in. Probably no chance against Hamilton

Hamilton is beatable with Harris in and Masoli out.

Yeah15

2nd Tier Fan
Mar 15, 2007
Esks are probably thanking their lucky stars this last home game is against Saskatchewan and you're going to have a ton of their fans showing up. Otherwise I feel like the attendance would be pretty horrendous for this meaningless game from the Eskimos stance.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
A little color is fine...its the stupidity and the temper tantrums that I can do without.

Kudos to Sean Whyte in the last few days for telling Terry Jones what he thinks of Maas and his lack of discipline and how it has affected the rest of the team.

No, Whyte didn't say it in so many words but I recall an incident halfway through the season where Maas was freaking out and Whyte told him to calm down only to have Jason Tucker intervene. I know that few posters would remember seeing this but it surely helps to clarify what the situation is.

I hope that Presson and Sunderland were paying attention.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Kudos to Sean Whyte in the last few days for telling Terry Jones what he thinks of Maas and his lack of discipline and how it has affected the rest of the team.

No, Whyte didn't say it in so many words but I recall an incident halfway through the season where Maas was freaking out and Whyte told him to calm down only to have Jason Tucker intervene. I know that few posters would remember seeing this but it surely helps to clarify what the situation is.

I hope that Presson and Sunderland were paying attention.

Glad you brought this up. What a bombshell. I know there are a couple on here that think he is one of the major problems on this team, but ironically, he leads the CFL in nearly every kicking category or near the top, so I continue to question that. IMO, he's been one of the few bright lights on this team.

Back to his comments.
earlier this year, he said a couple selfish "cancers" were removed from the team (probably against Maas' wishes since he seems to have no problem with players like that)Now, he basically blasted Maas, by saying that certain players on the team continue to take stupid penalties and continue to get away with it. He said there are no consequences. That is a direct kick to the nuts of his coach. And it extends to his GM, who brings in players like this, and continues to endorse his coach. For that, I doubt Whyte will be back next year if Sunderland and Maas continue to screw this organization up. He'll be looked upon as a "trouble-maker.". I see him as having the balls to be a whistle blower since no one in the organization seems to have the nads to do it, and the media take a soft approach.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
And now another sort of bombshell. The CFL announces it "blew the call" in the September 28th game where they admit the winning touchdown the Esks scored in the last minutes of the game should not have counted. Lucky break for a very undeserving team.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Glad you brought this up. What a bombshell. I know there are a couple on here that think he is one of the major problems on this team, but ironically, he leads the CFL in nearly every kicking category or near the top, so I continue to question that. IMO, he's been one of the few bright lights on this team.

Back to his comments.
earlier this year, he said a couple selfish "cancers" were removed from the team (probably against Maas' wishes since he seems to have no problem with players like that)Now, he basically blasted Maas, by saying that certain players on the team continue to take stupid penalties and continue to get away with it. He said there are no consequences. That is a direct kick to the nuts of his coach. And it extends to his GM, who brings in players like this, and continues to endorse his coach. For that, I doubt Whyte will be back next year if Sunderland and Maas continue to screw this organization up. He'll be looked upon as a "trouble-maker.". I see him as having the balls to be a whistle blower since no one in the organization seems to have the nads to do it, and the media take a soft approach.

Fully agree, Whyte has arguably been the most consistent performer on the team this season and one of the few in the EE organization who is willing to tell it like it is. The insider club in the igloo has a political agenda that tolerates junk from those it sees as "the right stuff."

It's not very hard to read between the lines and see what's going on and it isn't just Maas either.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Hamilton is beatable with Harris in and Masoli out.
I doubt that very much. Evans has looked every bit the part of reliable starting QB, with some great games thrown in here and there. He has grown and matured a ton this season, and has some fantastic weapons at his disposal. And the defense there continues to be strong.
And too soon people forget, that Harris had the gaudy stats before he got hurt, but couldn't finish drives and wimped out anywhere near the red zone. Not to mention, could not beat anyone not named B.C. Toronto, or Ottawa (other than Montreal very early in the season). He was trashed on here like crazy before he got hurt. Now, he's going to lead us to the promised land? I think not.

Last edited:

Yeah15

2nd Tier Fan
Mar 15, 2007
3 years ago the 10-8 Eskimos barely beat the 7-11 Ti-Cats in the East Semis, and then got trounced by the 8-9-1 Redblacks in the East final. People always seem to underestimate how hard it is for the the crossover team to get to the Grey Cup even when it's an above average team in the crossover position. No crossover team has ever made the Grey Cup, having a total record of 4-11 when going East. Now add on to the fact that the Tiger Cats are far superior to the Eskimos and I would say the Eskimos have somewhere between 1 and 2% chance of winning both games in the east playoffs.

Edit: Lions had a better record than the Ti-Cats last year despite playing more Western teams, and got destroyed 48-8 in the East semi

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
And now another sort of bombshell. The CFL announces it "blew the call" in the September 28th game where they admit the winning touchdown the Esks scored in the last minutes of the game should not have counted. Lucky break for a very undeserving team.
Can you refresh my memory on this?

Yeah15

2nd Tier Fan
Mar 15, 2007
Can you refresh my memory on this?
Play in question is at the bottom of this link. You can see the ball moving around a bit in his arms, but I feel like he has the ball wedged between his body and the defensive players arm while he has a foot on the ground. Seems like a good score to me, though I definitely don't know how the rules are these days.

Reactions: rboomercat90

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Play in question is at the bottom of this link. You can see the ball moving around a bit in his arms, but I feel like he has the ball wedged between his body and the defensive players arm while he has a foot on the ground. Seems like a good score to me, though I definitely don't know how the rules are these days.
The announcement from the CFL themselves, says that they confirm that the ball touched the ground to keep it in his arms. And from looking at it on the replay, there is also no doubt in my mind that is what happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad