Elks: Edmonton Eskimos 2018 v5

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
For the record this option was released a long time ago. Still is a stupid idea since they don’t even lock in the prices, but this wasn’t just released post-Maas announcement.

ah. I just heard about it this past week.

and no locking in prices? why would anyone bother, then? that is really stupid.
they want me for three years guaranteed? I want no price increases for year 2 and 3. dumb esks.

Reactions: bone and Yeah15

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
the only thing funnier than keeping Dumbo as coach would be to see Reilly bolt to B.C to be with his buddy Ed Hervey (and Lulay)

I keep forgetting the Grey Cup is even here and couldn't care less that it is...the die-hard will be there but the majority in this town don't give 2 squirts about the festivities IMO

go Lions

1. I'm a season ticket holder who's been pissed off at the Esks (Len Rhodes in particular) since the Hervey firing. Right or wrong, I actually get why Jason Maas is returning as head coach. Hopefully he's on a really short leash. Also, knock off the juvenile name-calling. It does nothing to advance your opinion.
2. Speaking of opinions, you don't speak for "the majority in this town". Just like I know there's a good chance that I don't when I say that I've temporarily pushed aside my anger with Rhodes & Co. and have decided to treat the Grey Cup for what it still is: one of the biggest uniquely Canadian annual events that we have. And it's one that doesn't come here all that often either.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
1. I'm a season ticket holder who's been pissed off at the Esks (Len Rhodes in particular) since the Hervey firing. Right or wrong, I actually get why Jason Maas is returning as head coach. Hopefully he's on a really short leash. Also, knock off the juvenile name-calling. It does nothing to advance your opinion.
explain...

2. Speaking of opinions, you don't speak for "the majority in this town". Just like I know there's a good chance that I don't when I say that I've temporarily pushed aside my anger with Rhodes & Co. and have decided to treat the Grey Cup for what it still is: one of the biggest uniquely Canadian annual events that we have. And it's one that doesn't come here all that often either.
has the Grey Cup sold out yet? is there an ounce of buzz in the city for it?
again, you're a season ticket holder aka a "die hard" but IMO the casual sports fan in this town isn't amped for the Grey Cup

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
explain...
Maas signed a 2 year contract extension this year which, given the CFL's new front office salary cap, limits the Esks ability to afford Marc Trestman or any other experienced coach. Also, not firing Maas helps the Esks' chances of keeping Reilly who respects his coach way more than most of the fans do.

has the Grey Cup sold out yet? is there an ounce of buzz in the city for it?
again, you're a season ticket holder aka a "die hard" but IMO the casual sports fan in this town isn't amped for the Grey Cup

From what I've heard the game is pretty close to sold-out (as are most of the ticketed events during the week). The GC Festival is 2 weeks away, The game itself isn't for 3 weeks. Is the city buzzing that long before Big Valley Jamboree, K-Days, The Fringe, etc.? Those events have their die-hards too. One thing you are right about: the casual fan isn't amped. The Esks' disastrous season pretty much turned away that demographic plus a whole bunch of the "die-hards" as well.

Personally I've separated my feelings about the Grey Cup (which I've already paid for) from those of my Eskimos season-ticket renewal (which I haven't). I'm not 100% convinced that the Board of Directors is unaware of the massive amount of criticism being leveled at Len Rhodes from we fans who've yet to renew. Myself and the 4 others on our season ticket account are waiting until after the Grey Cup to see what happens before we decide anything.

Last edited:

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006

If he's being retained largely due to financial/coaching salary cap reasons, it would seem he is safe for the duration of the contract regardless of performance.

This "coaching salary cap" thing is likely just another convenient excuse for the organization to spend less money and claim their hands are tied. A "coaching salary cap" is completely unenforceable, and likely to be ignored by certain teams (cough...Saskatchewan...cough). There is absolutely no chance of this hare-brained rule standing up in the court of law as soon as somebody decides to make a challenge. But I guess it bought the tightwad teams a year or two of excusing the employment of poor coaching and management personnel under the guise that they're just following the rules. I wouldn't have thought the New York Yankees of the CFL would fall into that category, but this Board of Directors and the Rhodent just continue to surprise and delight.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
If he's being retained largely due to financial/coaching salary cap reasons, it would seem he is safe for the duration of the contract regardless of performance.

This "coaching salary cap" thing is likely just another convenient excuse for the organization to spend less money and claim their hands are tied. A "coaching salary cap" is completely unenforceable, and likely to be ignored by certain teams (cough...Saskatchewan...cough). There is absolutely no chance of this hare-brained rule standing up in the court of law as soon as somebody decides to make a challenge. But I guess it bought the tightwad teams a year or two of excusing the employment of poor coaching and management personnel under the guise that they're just following the rules. I wouldn't have thought the New York Yankees of the CFL would fall into that category, but this Board of Directors and the Rhodent just continue to surprise and delight.
The coaches salary cap didn’t stop the Argos from firing Trestman. I don’t buy it as a legitimate reason here. I would be curious though, to learn what Maas is making comparison to other CFL coaches. In terms of coaching experience and accomplishments, he should be dead last. Maybe he took that exemplary performance in the West Final to Rhodes and parlayed into something a lot higher than it should be.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
There goes the Leos. 28 nothing and counting for the Ticats. not even watching.

This is the thing with EC squads. Can take half the season off, finish 8-10 or worse, get a home playoff date and have a pretty good chance of going to the GC. In the west that doesn't even buy a playoff spot, and when it does its as the road club in a EC based playoff.

Maybe it changes a bit with the Atlantic club addition. I doubt it. Teams in the East that have any pulse made the playoffs by default most years. Just show up and be be better than terrible will get you in.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006

This is the thing with EC squads. Can take half the season off, finish 8-10 or worse, get a home playoff date and have a pretty good chance of going to the GC. In the west that doesn't even buy a playoff spot, and when it does its as the road club in a EC based playoff.

Maybe it changes a bit with the Atlantic club addition. I doubt it. Teams in the East that have any pulse made the playoffs by default most years. Just show up and be be better than terrible will get you in.

Yup, garbage playoff format on display again. Saskatchewan goes 12-6 and has to deal with the Bombers, a Grey Cup caliber team. Hamilton goes 8-10 and gets to play the lousy Lions.

I didn't expect a beat down this bad, but I also cannot believe the Lions were actually favoured in this game earlier in the week (closed -2 for the TiCats). BC is not a good team, and was never a good team this season. And Mickey Maas managed to lose twice to this club. BC has been outscored 89-25 since we lost to them. Let that sink in.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Yup, garbage playoff format on display again. Saskatchewan goes 12-6 and has to deal with the Bombers, a Grey Cup caliber team. Hamilton goes 8-10 and gets to play the lousy Lions.

I didn't expect a beat down this bad, but I also cannot believe the Lions were actually favoured in this game earlier in the week (closed -2 for the TiCats). BC is not a good team, and was never a good team this season. And Mickey Maas managed to lose twice to this club. BC has been outscored 89-25 since we lost to them. Let that sink in.

Its an immense disadvantage for any WC club as the record and situation depicts. EC clubs can focus on this moment all season, Be healthier, rested, wait at home. Take several games off if not months.

Didn't the Argos win a GC as an 8-10club?

The WC is such a battle just getting out of it is tough and attrition hits even the Calgary Stampeders. The season is longer when you can't take half of it off and not have it impact.

EC clubs only have to bring it in the playoffs.

Theoretically you could be 6-12 in the East and make the playoffs. It would have been gravy this season as well.

Reactions: Kyle McMahon

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

If anything the fifth team in the East likely makes it worse. In that scenario there isn’t even a threat of a superior western team crossing over. Now three garbage teams in the east are guaranteed to make it instead of two.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I guess the only positive in this EC crossover beat down is with one more win this would have been us. At this point its almost a positive not to have obtained the crossover. Gotta think either the Riders or Bombers would kick our ass again too. At least I can watch telly or do something else and not the game.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
If anything the fifth team in the East likely makes it worse. In that scenario there isn’t even a threat of a superior western team crossing over. Now three garbage teams in the east are guaranteed to make it instead of two.

heh, they should still have the crossover or just get rid of the divisions and just make it a ten team league. That wouldn't work so well in the east but why is everything so catered to the east when the CFL lives and dies on Western Canada support?

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Its an immense disadvantage for any WC club as the record and situation depicts. EC clubs can focus on this moment all season, Be healthier, rested, wait at home. Take several games off if not months.

Didn't the Argos win a GC as an 8-10club?

The WC is such a battle just getting out of it is tough and attrition hits even the Calgary Stampeders. The season is longer when you can't take half of it off and not have it impact.

EC clubs only have to bring it in the playoffs.

Theoretically you could be 6-12 in the East and make the playoffs. It would have been gravy this season as well.
Didn’t a 5-11 Ottawa team almost beat the high powered Warren Moon led Eskimos one year. Yay, more of that coming.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Didn’t a 5-11 Ottawa team almost beat the high powered Warren Moon led Eskimos one year. Yay, more of that coming.

Yep. It was a rare bad game from Warren Moon. Wilkie was required in that one to stabilize things until Moon recovered. Pretty sure I swore a few times during that game. Esks were over confident. At least they pulled it out of the fire.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
They won't get rid of the crossover. The Western teams would cry bloody murder, or at least they should, if that happened. But they also won't do the thing that makes the most sense, which is get rid of divisions. If the league expands to 10 teams and you play every other team twice, the schedule is completely balanced and divisions are entirely pointless. If they insist on keeping divisions (they will because they won't want all 5 Western teams making the playoffs), they better unbalance the schedule. Like you play 12 against your own division (3 each), and 6 against the opposite division (1 home-and-home, one game against the other 4). Let teams control their own fate within the division at least.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Yep. It was a rare bad game from Warren Moon. Wilkie was required in that one to stabilize things until Moon recovered. Pretty sure I swore a few times during that game. Esks were over confident. At least they pulled it out of the fire.
Lol, my Dad was a Roughriders fan who hated the Eskimos more than anybody I ever knew. He was so happy during that game. Iirc, he grounded me after the Eskimos came back.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Coaches shouldn’t be losing their challenge when they use it to get a call the officials got wrong changed. They shouldn’t run out until they lose a challenge. With all the changes the league has made to challenges, I can’t believe they’re still getting that part wrong.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Well, that's disappointing. I hate the Bombers. The helmet to helmet hit on Bridges late in game being one of the reasons why. What kind of punk ass needs to nearly kill a player in the 2nd last play of a game that is likely done. What a vicious head shot. Disgusting, that as per usual the CFL doesn't pick it up.

Ridiculous officiating in the game. Bombers get every benefit of doubt, get so many spots that are favorable, and calls missed. lol that 20 secs elapsed at end of first half and Nichols throws the ball with 2secs left and somehow they rule not only that there is time left on the clock, but that theres 2 secs left. lmfao

Then late in game Bridges runs out of bounds with 21secs left and the clock runs down to 18 and they DON'T correct it. Little things like that here and there. No biggy, but you got the feeling allday that command center wanted a Bombers win. Jones even has to call his challenge call on a ridiculously easy pi call. What? Holding onto jersey for 2-3 seconds doesn't warrant a call?

Reactions: BlackDogg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad