Elks: Edmonton Eskimos 2018 v5

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Yeah... it's strange for me personally that the organization that has prided itself on there being more to it that winning has all but removed most of the small things that initially hooked me as a kid.

I remember being so excited about mini footballs, shirt tosses and getting free 2Ls of pop. I remember going to a game in the winter one winter when i was maybe 6 or 7 with a sleeping bag, hot chocolate, blankets and the works. I cant recall the game at all (imagine it was a rider's game, being a transplant), but i definitely remember an usher helping me stuff my sleeping bag full of free blue Pepsi that i was jacked about and carrying it to the car.

That 20 bucks of free merch (after my dad bought tickets, mind you) they invested in me in those days is likely what hooked me into the hundred or so games ive attended at commonwealth over the years.

Ah yes, the Pepsi Blue giveaway. Hugh Campbell era they often gave away similar thank you presents on your way out of the stadium. Indeed, people do remember these things.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Ah yes, the Pepsi Blue giveaway. Hugh Campbell era they often gave away similar thank you presents on your way out of the stadium. Indeed, people do remember these things.

It's too bad Hugh slowly went off the rails in his old age. In his prime, he embodied what a real football executive does.

Reactions: rboomercat90

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
It's too bad Hugh slowly went off the rails in his old age. In his prime, he embodied what a real football executive does.

Hard to believe Hugh was supplanted by Danny f___ Maciocia as the face of the franchise. Never been the same since.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Hard to believe Hugh was supplanted by Danny f___ Maciocia as the face of the franchise. Never been the same since.

To be fair, he had an awesome offensive playbook when he first started here as OC. There were games where his offense was damn near unstoppable. And it wasn't just talent, because Maas had similar level of talent on offense this year and did **** all with it.

His problem was that he could never adjust. So when other coaches had film on his playbook, he was ******.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
To be fair, he had an awesome offensive playbook when he first started here as OC. There were games where his offense was damn near unstoppable. And it wasn't just talent, because Maas had similar level of talent on offense this year and did **** all with it.

His problem was that he could never adjust. So when other coaches had film on his playbook, he was ******.

We had good talent on offense this year, but I don't think it compares to those 2002-05 teams. Hervey, Tucker, Vaughn, Mitchell. John Avery that one year, Mike Pringle. Strong offensive line. Ray and Maas tossing the rock. Those were the days...(if you're my age and didn't witness the 80's)

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton

For sure. As weird as it sounds, it is probably one of my favorite memories from that time of my life. Just totally unexpected having staffers fill my sleeping bag with Pepsi. I wouldn't say I was impoverished growing up, but money was tight for my family and I definitely didn't get a lot of the extras and honestly though I always got what I needed my parents didn't always. Had Pepsi for like half a year after that.

It certainly built a fan out of me, and in addition to the season seats I bought, I know I've influenced a few people to give the league a chance and a go as well. Its getting harder to justify though. Frustrating at best following this club. Not making the playoffs in a grey cup year? Seriously? Bleh.

Reactions: Kyle McMahon

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
We had good talent on offense this year, but I don't think it compares to those 2002-05 teams. Hervey, Tucker, Vaughn, Mitchell. John Avery that one year, Mike Pringle. Strong offensive line. Ray and Maas tossing the rock. Those were the days...(if you're my age and didn't witness the 80's)

I think it's fairly comparable. Maciocia had better deployment and usage than Maas, which is a strange thing to say but it is the truth. I'm pretty sure if Maas was running that team, he'd underutilize Vaughn and throw up prayers to Tucker every second play.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I think it's fairly comparable. Maciocia had better deployment and usage than Maas, which is a strange thing to say but it is the truth. I'm pretty sure if Maas was running that team, he'd underutilize Vaughn and throw up prayers to Tucker every second play.

Jeepers, we're reminiscing about freaking Maciocia and how he ran a better offense than Maas...if this isn't rock bottom, god help us.

Reactions: Dazed and Confused

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Jeepers, we're reminiscing about freaking Maciocia and how he ran a better offense than Maas...if this isn't rock bottom, god help us.

Well, it's true lol.

It's like when Maas lost Zylstra, he was like "well, f*** it, I don't have a prototypical possession receiver anymore so I'm just going to completely abandon any type of ball control offense."

What kind of coach thinks in absolutes like that? (Welcome to the dark side I guess)

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
the 3 were good kids and very well behaved all season, so I wanted to do something nice for them.

not the same as catching one, but it did make them happy. they were hoping for one all season and rarely had one thrown our way.

My point is, though, why didn't their parents (dad) buy them some?

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Maybe he did.

There's nothing wrong with gord going out of his way to make some kids day. Its strange to me that you're trying to shame his kind gesture. As a society we need more if it and not less.

Don't be silly, no one is trying to shame anyone here.

What Gord did was very nice, but my point is that the kids not getting footballs thrown to them isn't the end of the world like this was perceived. He said those kids were never going to get a football. They can be purchased for probably about 5 or 6 bucks each and then no one is without.

Last edited:

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
My point is, though, why didn't their parents (dad) buy them some?

because it doesn't matter?
I wanted to do something nice and I did. a small gesture as they were good kids.

nothing to do with the dad not doing it, but everything to do with the esks not providing the chance.

kids always loved when there was a touchdown, and then the ushers throwing the balls. the excitement of maybe getting one. jumping up and down while cheering, in hopes of one being thrown their way.

the important question is why did the esks stop doing something so loved by the fan base?
especially when the esks talk so much about the importance of the game day experience.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
because it doesn't matter?
I wanted to do something nice and I did. a small gesture as they were good kids.

nothing to do with the dad not doing it, but everything to do with the esks not providing the chance.

kids always loved when there was a touchdown, and then the ushers throwing the balls. the excitement of maybe getting one. jumping up and down while cheering, in hopes of one being thrown their way.

the important question is why did the esks stop doing something so loved by the fan base?
especially when the esks talk so much about the importance of the game day experience.

Again Gord, good on you for doing that for those kids, very thoughtful. As for the Esks not providing them anymore, perhaps the Rhodent decided to do something else, I have no idea. If it is important enough, I would suggest STHers write the org and complain en masse. Mind you, there are so many things to complain about with the Esks these days, it would be tough for them to know where to start.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
The mini footballs were awesome as a kid, and it seemed like everyone ended up with one eventually. I still have a couple I think.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Len knows what you guys need better than you do. If he says you don’t need mini footballs then you probably don’t need mini footballs.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Maas promoting someone else to oc won’t solve the problem. Jason is not head coaching material. Here we are again with the 2019 season already in question. I have defended brock because he deserved a decent shot but there are no excuses anymore he has the power to call more of the shots and now he has to own it. EE management have underestimated the backlash this will cause. I can’t see that this move will turn around the slow but steady descent in ticket sales.

Last edited:

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
so we did end up with the worst scenario. the president, GM and head coach are all the same.
and we're lucky enough to promote form within, so the gosh darned playbook will likely look much the same.
the one that seems to be one page, double spaced.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Maas promoting someone else to oc won’t solve the problem. Jason is not head coaching material. Here we are again with the 2019 season already in question. I have defended brock because he deserved a decent shot but there are no excuses anymore he has the power to call more of the shots and now he has to own it. EE management have underestimated the backlash this will cause. I can’t see that this move will turn around the slow but steady descent in ticket sales.

which is why they're trying to lock people in for three years now.

EE3 - 3 Season Membership - Edmonton Eskimos

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
yay Maas is back....
guess I get to save a lot of money by not spending it on the Esks

what kind of baffling late-game decisions will he make next year?
how many times will he blow up and hit something on the sidelines?
how many penalties will they take per game?

find out!

Go Hervey and the Lions!

Valhallis

Aug 2, 2005
This is terrible but worst case would be if we also lose Reilly in the off-season.

There was ZERO accountability for the travesty that was this season, aside from Cory McDiarmid being let go. I'm sure Maas is a nice guy and is really driven and all that but he's proven he's not capable of getting the job done. I'm sure though even if the Esks did relieve him of his duties we'd just see Benefeces as head coach so how much better is that?

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Len knows what you guys need better than you do. If he says you don’t need mini footballs then you probably don’t need mini footballs.

Exactly. We need more washed up rap artists at half time. That's how build a fan base for football. Make your biggest promotional completely unrelated to football as opposed to footballs which actively create excitement for the kids towards an event directly related to football.

The man is so smart, I bet you he'd be great at selling ketchup or hockey equipment to Canadians.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
So a couple weeks back Maryland announced they were retaining head coach DJ Durkin, only to fire him the next day after a massive amount of backlash and outrage. I wonder how many season ticket subscriptions cancelled will be enough to force the organization to reconsider and fire Maas? Us and another couple have tickets and I can confirm we are cancelling them. So that's 4....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad