Elks: Edmonton Eskimos 2018 v5

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Really no explanation at all. Enough time left to kickoff deep, but apparently not enough to take a couple shots at the endzone. The guy calls for 40 yard bombs on 2nd and short over and over. But the ONE time it makes sense to go deep, out comes the FG team to the bewilderment of all.

Good to hear the 1260 postgame ripping Maas and the whole organization. Wonder if CHED is busy making excuses.

Who does that Campbell twirp work for? He always has a bunch of suckhole excuses.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Hate to say it.. but the organization got what they deserved for not firing this buffoon last season. He should’ve never been allowed back inside the facility. You have to be one of the worst coaches of all time to have a losing record, with Mike Reilly at the helm.

Very true. As an organization you have to do what is painfully obvious. If it was the NFL he would have been gone the next day because that's how they operate. When you make a monumental mistake you have to pay for it. It keeps everybody else in line.

You have to respect Jason for the tremendous adversity he had to fight through to get to where he is but there is something called accountability. He wouldn't own it and Rhodes/Jones jumped in to assure us that this was an anomaly but clearly it wasn't. The same mistake again. Unless its 3rd down you use the momentum and go for the TD. Common sense. I have never seen a call like that in pro football never mind the same gaffe 2 years in a row in critical situations. In Vegas these odds would not exist.

Jones immediately assured the faithful after the Western Final last year that Maas was "an excellent young coach" but how has that been established this year? Obviously it hasn't been. Nothing we have seen would substantiate this claim.

Having said that I am not sure that he will be gone next year.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
For the good of the team Mass should resign or be fired. 100 percent sure about that. Stupid game decisions and bad planning all around for the team.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Nonetheless, the D was still only the 3rd-worst unit on the field. They gave up 27 points tonight. That's not awful. Not great. Not even acceptable. But not awful. I'm not tagging them with the TD they gave up after the offense fumbled inside our own 20. And obviously not the 8 points special teams served up to BC either.
Are you kidding? The defence has been bad all yeas. Sucked when the big moments came to stop BC. They did get a little better as the season progressed but got exposed this time.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Very true. As an organization you have to do what is painfully obvious. If it was the NFL he would have been gone the next day because that's how they operate. When you make a monumental mistake you have to pay for it. It keeps everybody else in line.

You have to respect Jason for the tremendous adversity he had to fight through to get to where he is but there is something called accountability. He wouldn't own it and Rhodes/Jones jumped in to assure us that this was an anomaly but clearly it wasn't. The same mistake again. Unless its 3rd down you use the momentum and go for the TD. Common sense. I have never seen a call like that in pro football never mind the same gaffe 2 years in a row in critical situations. In Vegas these odds would not exist.

Jones immediately assured the faithful after the Western Final last year that Maas was "an excellent young coach" but how has that been established this year? Obviously it hasn't been. Nothing we have seen would substantiate this claim.

I don’t think changes are made anywhere unless Rhodes himself is removed. I believe he hired a young guy like Maas because he wanted a guy who could be here for years. He wanted his own version of a Wally Buono. It helps that a young guy isn’t going to be questioning anything he himself is doing. Sunderland fits that mold too. Any changes made will have to be done by the board.

Reactions: guymez

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I think he justified to himself that it would be easier driving the length of the field in the final minute to score seven than it would be getting to the forty and kicking a field goal. He makes bad decisions under pressure. It doesn’t need to be analyzed further than that.

Its not that he makes bad decisions under pressure its that he fails the same logic question on an exam two times running and both times convinced he is right. Its really hard to even fathom how a pro coach would not get something as simple as you score the TD first, given that you are first on the 30yd line and then go for a FG, requiring less yds, on the last play.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Just another note on the deplorable secondary but needs to be remembered that we gave up a simple go route TD on the first play from scrimmage. The first damned play. Luckily, it was called back on procedure with another receiver going offside. That should be considered in addition to the multiple other aerial TD's that this D could simply not cover.

Essentially that this secondary cannot cover. We gave up 4 passing TD's if one counts the one called back. In any typical game that's the margin of victory allowed right there, beat in the air and that so no other D facet even mattered. Imagine for a moment why Sherritt was so disconsolate on the bench and Maas had to come to him to tell him we need him. Could you imagine that even being required with a consummate pro like Sherritt? He watched this performance. Like many times this season he knew full well that it didn't matter what the D did upfront, they were helpless. They were simply going to lose on the basis of the secondary.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Why are you saying Jones when it was Sunderland defending Maas?Sunderland and Rhodes defense of Maas abysmal logic malfunction is just another reason to think incompetents are in charge here and continue to be. Haven't seen Sunderland appear in a presser to take one bit of accountability either. he gambled, severely, on a rebuild proposition in a Grey Cup hosting year and the team on the field crashed and burned. His big acquisitions, like Bazzie and Ceresna were good late in the season but where were they in the first dozen games?

You don't get to host a Grey Cup very often and I can't think of another time that a GM decided to pull the plug on several starters and try to replace them in such a monumental season. Who even does that? Especially with a team that was one stupid coaching decision away from a potential Grey Cup experience.

Hands up who wouldn't have rather had the roster we had when Sunderland got here.

The saddest aspect is that there is no redo, it doesn't really matter what the club does going forward. They lost a chance to make some history in a GC hosting year. They lost a chance to do that with an MVP Mike Reilly. Sunderland just wasted him.

Things only getting worse from here.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
More questions that deserve answers.

Walker was injured months ago and it was known he would be out duration of the season. Why was there no attempt made to replace him? The offense hasn't been the same since he was injured.

On what basis is Stafford considered to be a go to intermediate route receiver. The guy is so unreliable. Between his absolute lack of compete and not getting open and flat out dropping passes every game what does he bring here? This guy was yet again a passenger this season. Failed miserably down the stretch.

Why did the team stubbornly hold onto the notion that Hazelton could play ball? He was beyond hopeless this season. Basically a waste of downs and uniform. Its inexplicable that he started any games over Mitchell. Astounding really. How does an org even fail to assess Mitchell being a better option.

At what point will it be recognized that Gable is grossly inadequate and getting outplayed by opponent RB's nearly every week. God he was inept in a must win game. He didn't even show up in this one. At least he didn't fumble in this game. But he didn't make one cut, one play, one run either. He executed each play expecting to fail. How is it even remotely possible that Cooper or somebody else wouldn't be a better option than this futile back? here we are in a must have game and we don't even have a running game.

This is the one player that wasn't banged up that Reilly had at his disposal last night. Mitchell. That's it. handing off wasn't an option. Tweener recievers like BEhar and Adjei not an adequate option, Williams was trying to catch the ball with one hand due to shoulder injury.

We went into a must win game with this kind of lineup and roster on all sides of the ball.

We lost this game before the kickoff. That's squarely on Sunderland.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Its not that he makes bad decisions under pressure its that he fails the same logic question on an exam two times running and both times convinced he is right. Its really hard to even fathom how a pro coach would not get something as simple as you score the TD first, given that you are first on the 30yd line and then go for a FG, requiring less yds, on the last play.
It would be bad enough if that indeed was the second time we’ve seen his failed logic but it isn’t. He’s decided to put the ball in the hands of his defense instead of his MOP quarterback with the game on the line and failed at least two other times this season. He’s tipped his hand to who he is as a coach quite strongly now. It isn’t a mystery anymore as to what he is. We’ve seen it too many times now.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Why are you saying Jones when it was Sunderland defending Maas?Sunderland and Rhodes defense of Maas abysmal logic malfunction is just another reason to think incompetents are in charge here and continue to be. Haven't seen Sunderland appear in a presser to take one bit of accountability either. he gambled, severely, on a rebuild proposition in a Grey Cup hosting year and the team on the field crashed and burned. His big acquisitions, like Bazzie and Ceresna were good late in the season but where were they in the first dozen games?

You don't get to host a Grey Cup very often and I can't think of another time that a GM decided to pull the plug on several starters and try to replace them in such a monumental season. Who even does that? Especially with a team that was one stupid coaching decision away from a potential Grey Cup experience.

Hands up who wouldn't have rather had the roster we had when Sunderland got here.

The saddest aspect is that there is no redo, it doesn't really matter what the club does going forward. They lost a chance to make some history in a GC hosting year. They lost a chance to do that with an MVP Mike Reilly. Sunderland just wasted him.

Things only getting worse from here.

What nonsense.

He didn't "gamble severely" ---whatever that means in the English language.

Some veterans -especially expensive ones were gone as they always are with all CFL clubs in the off season-- standard issue.

You come on here suggesting that Sunderland was responsible for Zylstra and Ladler departing, like these guys were going to stick around the CFl when they could collect NFL money. It didn't matter who the GM was, a lot of guys departed for the bigger bucks.

Ceresna was good-very good all season in essentially his first full season as a starter. Bazzie was also a great addition.

Your man-crush on Reilly is comical.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kyle McMahon

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
What nonsense.

He didn't "gamble severely" ---whatever that means in the English language.

Some veterans -especially expensive ones were gone as they always are with all CFL clubs in the off season-- standard issue.

You come on here suggesting that Sunderland was responsible for Zylstra and Ladler departing, like these guys were going to stick around the CFl when they could collect NFL money.

Ceresna was good-very good all season in essentially his first full season as a starter. Bazzie was also a great addition

Your man-crush on Reilly is comical.
Almost as silly as having a man-crush on McDavid.

Like the Oilers, a flamethrower needs to be taken to the Esks front office.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Maas continues to astound with his stupidity.

Hey come on, let’s have some positivity around here, okay? I’m certain Cashguy would say the organization thinks very highly of him, and he’s very intelligent, and 8 other teams in this league would be lining up to have him as a Head coach.;):laugh:

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Almost as silly as having a man-crush on McDavid.

Like the Oilers, a flamethrower needs to be taken to the Esks front office.

Yes it does and a thorough house cleaning is in order but when people come on here and say that Sunderland is possibly worse than Chia then its completely unfair. You can't compare a sample size of <2 years to a sample size of 10 years where there were very clear mistakes made on major trades. Sunderland is probably headed for the NFL anyway but no way did he pull anything like Chia did. If I was the guy I would want out because who wants to work for Rhodes and a BOD that is so resistant to common sense?

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Are we going to the Grey Cup? It isn't complicated. The man is an idiot who thought this lineup was capable of getting to the Grey Cup, in which case he's incompetent, or he was just trying to sell STH in a hard sell year and saying "trust me the team is going to be in the Grey Cup" in which case he's a liar.

So idiot or liar. Anybody can have their opinion which it is. Its not looking like neither.

I guess Mike Reilly is a liar as well, for stating in 2015 that this team was built for multiple championships. He has also stated multiple times this year that he thought they had the team to win it all. Lol, this isn’t schoolyard chatter when you call out someone. Everyone from GM to players make comments in the hopes they come true. Call Sunderland a less than decent GM if you want. But a liar is a little over the top.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I guess Mike Reilly is a liar as well, for stating in 2015 that this team was built for multiple championships. He has also stated multiple times this year that he thought they had the team to win it all. Lol, this isn’t schoolyard chatter when you call out someone. Everyone from GM to players make comments in the hopes they come true. Call Sunderland a less than decent GM if you want. But a liar is a little over the top.

Thanks for saying this. Yes, criticize all the Eskie players and management if you want but don't come on here calling them liars and cowards. I don't think much of Maas as a coach but he is certainly not a liar or a coward and neither is Sunderland.

Put on some football gear and go out to a pro football field and see just how many cowards there are on the field. Maas and Sunderland also played the game and are certainly not cowards either.

Just ridiculous and completely uncalled for.

Reactions: TB12 and guymez

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
The field goal only makes sense if it’s third down. I’d rather get three than failing on a third down gamble and getting nothing. Kicking on first down was Jason trying to reinvent the wheel again. There’s a reason why coaches do similar things in similar situations. They’ve been proven to be the moves with the highest percentage of succeeding. It’s been said a lot, so I’ll say it again. Tonight, Jason Maas cemented his reputation of being a bad coach.
For sure. At first down, it’s a no brainer to keep going and give it at least 2 shots to score. I won’t get into the psychological aspect of it as Moontoscott did:D, but not scoring a TD leaves you in the same situation but a little less time. Scoring one gives you a short field on your next possession, as you only need to get to the 40 or 45 at worst to give it a shot.

Really, this doesn’t even require an explanation to anyone that has remotely started watching football. Boggles the mind as to how someone with extensive experience and knowledge of the game can make such off the wall decisions. Almost like he thinks he’s smarter than everyone else and is trying to invent some new way to outthink his opponents.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I would like Reilly to stay here as well, but at reasonable term and price. However, as this season and the playoffs last year have proven, not even a great quarterback is nearly enough if he is saddled with incompetent management, poor coaching, and an aging leaky offensive line. Part of me wants Reilly to leave and go to a team where he won’t be saddled by buffoons, and is able to enjoy some team success. He deserves at least that much.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Thanks for saying this. Yes, criticize all the Eskie players and management if you want but don't come on here calling them liars and cowards. I don't think much of Maas as a coach but he is certainly not a liar or a coward and neither is Sunderland.

Put on some football gear and go out to a pro football field and see just how many cowards there are on the field. Maas and Sunderland also played the game and are certainly not cowards either.

Just ridiculous and completely uncalled for.

Oh lol at this. The "walk in their shoes before you can comment on them attempted fallacy. Whatever floats your boat I guess.

Strap on the helmet and take a helmet to helmet hit and get serial concussions or you can't intelligibly comment on football..

Is that really what you are saying? Please let us know Rhino.

ps Reilly has had yet another legendary +5000k passing yds season. So clearly not the problem. But you see no difficulty finding fault for people having regard for the one person that is worthy of it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad