Elks: Edmonton Eskimos 2018 v5

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Yup. Sunderland is the only branch on the tree that isn't 100% confirmed to be useless at his job. It's merely strongly suspected at this point.

How is it not confirmed? He assessed this lineup to be GC bound. Yet they aren't even making the playoffs. He basically assured Esks fans after his tough medicine offseason that this team would be capable. He's incompetent and a liar and should be fired.

lol that the Grey Cup never even sold out for the first time ever in Edmonton. Maybe now it will with the Esks not in it...

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
This for the win. This team, that Sunderland put together just won't hunt. LAST PLACE, lmfao. Sunderland said this club would be in the GC. What a ****ing clown. Whats he got to say now?

I could get mad at Maas but won't even bother. Its not really what lost this game. What lost this game is a D that can't defend the pass, can't defend the run, and theres nothing else to defend.

3TD's given up again in 1 quarter in a must win game. OMFG. Absolutely disgusting. We don't have a defender on this roster that can cover **** and certainly not a deep route. Run deep routes against us all day and you'd put up 50pts everytime.

This loss, this season, is all on Rhodes, Sunderland Like I was saying in offseason. With this putrid lineup this season was lost before it started. This here was just confirmation.

Team sucked in all 3 phases really. Gave up a big return for a TD, costly fumble on offense right after giving up that TD. This game is not all on the defense. This is just a poorly coached team and it shows in all 3 phases.

Reactions: Kyle McMahon

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
How is it not confirmed? He assessed this lineup to be GC bound. Yet they aren't even making the playoffs. He basically assured Esks fans after his tough medicine offseason that this team would be capable. He's incompetent and a liar and should be fired.

lol that the Grey Cup never even sold out for the first time ever in Edmonton. Maybe now it will with the Esks not in it...

Why is he a liar? Because you say so?

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Its easy to call a guy a clown who has only been around 1 season. Bravely spoken.
Sometimes it doesn't take that much time to determine such things.

This team is going nowhere, especially if Reilly leaves. We don't even know if we have a replacement because he never plays.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Its easy to call a guy a clown who has only been around 1 season. Bravely spoken.

Oh wait, wasn't it brave for the idiot to promise a Grey cup appearance. He deserves whatever f***ing comments he gets after losing several starters and key players in the lineup and CLEARLY making this club way worse, and in a GC hosting year.

This has been a f*** up of monumental proportions by the GM and I called that all along.

Its insult to wound that Ex Esks like Willis, Foster, and Lemon beat us down today.

Somewhere Hervey is grinning and I'm right there with him.

This org, with this management, all clowns, disgusts me.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
The defense sucked tonight. But they only went -21 (conceded 28 that was their fault, scored 7), which should actually win the majority of games in this league.

Defense: D-
Offense: F
Special Teams: F-
Coaching: LOL

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Why is he a liar? Because you say so?

Are we going to the Grey Cup? It isn't complicated. The man is an idiot who thought this lineup was capable of getting to the Grey Cup, in which case he's incompetent, or he was just trying to sell STH in a hard sell year and saying "trust me the team is going to be in the Grey Cup" in which case he's a liar.

So idiot or liar. Anybody can have their opinion which it is. Its not looking like neither.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Oh wait, wasn't it brave for the idiot to promise a Grey cup appearance. He deserves whatever ****ing comments he gets after losing several starters and key players in the lineup and CLEARLY making this club way worse, and in a GC hosting year.

This has been a **** up of monumental proportions by the GM and I called that all along.

Its insult to wound that Ex Esks like Willis, Foster, and Lemon beat us down today.

Somewhere Hervey is grinning and I'm right there with him.

This org, with this management, all clowns, disgusts me.

Well, again, you can come on here and criticize the game but the EE management are certainly not liars and no one promised a GC appearance. Again, bravely spoken.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006

We don't know for sure if Sunderland has the authority to fire Maas. If, and only if, he does not, that would be the one reason I would give him a lifeline.

If he indeed had the authority to fire him and didn't after last season, then yes for sure he is a moron and must also walk the plank.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Well, what can I say--flashback to 2017 Western Final and its the same old time loop.

I think the reason you go for the TD instead of the field goal is you know you need a TD regardless so if you don't get it you've lost anyway but if you do get it (and after the Behar catch there was good momentum) then you are down by only 3 and you introduce real doubt in the minds of the Lions. They are more apt to make a mistake if they suddenly have the jitters.

This way they are still up a TD and feel confident of victory. Perhaps that's too simple an analysis, I don't know.

How can this head coach be such an untouchable? I just don't get it.
The field goal only makes sense if it’s third down. I’d rather get three than failing on a third down gamble and getting nothing. Kicking on first down was Jason trying to reinvent the wheel again. There’s a reason why coaches do similar things in similar situations. They’ve been proven to be the moves with the highest percentage of succeeding. It’s been said a lot, so I’ll say it again. Tonight, Jason Maas cemented his reputation of being a bad coach.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The defense sucked tonight. But they only went -21 (conceded 28 that was their fault, scored 7), which should actually win the majority of games in this league.

Defense: D-
Offense: F
Special Teams: F-
Coaching: LOL

Spare me. It was the first D TD all year, and in garbage time with the game all but settled. Big thrill. Did anybody really think for a moment we were coming back?

Teams rarely win when the opponent has 42pts up on the board.

Absolutely the D is at fault. Gave up obscene rushing yds and then 3 pass TD's in one freaking quarter. That's so abysmal it doesn't warrant debate. You can't do that in a game, any game, and expect to win.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
1. Fire the entire Board of Directors
2. Hire new BoD
3. Fire Len Rhodes
4. Fire Maas
5. Let new president decide if Sunderland should stick around. GM picks new head coach.

Rhodes needs to GTFO. is it true he fired hervey because hervey wanted to make avg GM salary and that would make his salary higher than rhodes? insane.

Reactions: EagerPug

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Team sucked in all 3 phases really. Gave up a big return for a TD, costly fumble on offense right after giving up that TD. This game is not all on the defense. This is just a poorly coached team and it shows in all 3 phases.

We don't have the D personnel to even compete on the field. I was saying that well before the season started. Teams are no longer saving themselves with NFL pickups. Those players are just not coming anymore. You either have a solid unit at seasons start or you won't have one.

So we got Sherrit, Grymes, and Sewell as D leaders on this team and lost several of our key Defenders. There was too much bleeding. Two of those guys we lost rubbed it in today. This was a suspicious secondary from the start. We had holes there last season and which were not plugged.

Against a Decent offense this club can't stop the pass, and can't stop the run. What else is there?

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
The field goal only makes sense if it’s third down. I’d rather get three than failing on a third down gamble and getting nothing. Kicking on first down was Jason trying to reinvent the wheel again. There’s a reason why coaches do similar things in similar situations. They’ve been proven to be the moves with the highest percentage of succeeding. It’s been said a lot, so I’ll say it again. Tonight, Jason Maas cemented his reputation of being a bad coach.

It’s telling when the typically diplomatic Suitor and Cuthbert simply had no defense at all for such a decision.

Who's to say we couldn't have gotten 2 TDs anyway? I like that the only scenario in Maas' ten cent head was FG+TD and go to OT. Although even this is an assumption. Perhaps the idea was to kick a second FG with a minute left and THEN get the TD? Not an unprecedented strategy, afterall.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I think there will probably be a mutiny regardless. Hosting the Grey Cup was the only reason I renewed, and I doubt I'm alone. Neither the Eskimos or Oilers will receive one red cent from me as long as Katz, Rhodes, or Maas are allowed within 100 miles of the stadiums.

Maybe you should've listened to me. Waste of money if you ask me. You selling the GC tickets now?

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Spare me. It was the first D TD all year, and in garbage time with the game all but settled. Big thrill. Did anybody really think for a moment we were coming back?

Teams rarely win when the opponent has 42pts up on the board.

Absolutely the D is at fault. Gave up obscene rushing yds and then 3 pass TD's in one freaking quarter. That's so abysmal it doesn't warrant debate. You can't do that in a game, any game, and expect to win.

Nonetheless, the D was still only the 3rd-worst unit on the field. They gave up 27 points tonight. That's not awful. Not great. Not even acceptable. But not awful. I'm not tagging them with the TD they gave up after the offense fumbled inside our own 20. And obviously not the 8 points special teams served up to BC either.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Maas really out thunk himself tonight. One more time that he decides to put the game in the hands of his defense instead of the hands of his MOP quarterback. Once again, it didn’t work out.

Deja vu.

Maas clearly meant it when he said he would 'do it again'. The man has learned nothing.

This organization is so dysfunctional i will be very surprised if Maas gets fired.
Actually I will be very surprised if anyone gets fired.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
1. Fire the entire Board of Directors
2. Hire new BoD
3. Fire Len Rhodes
4. Fire Maas
5. Let new president decide if Sunderland should stick around. GM picks new head coach.
This is what they should do. What they will do will probably look a lot different. What a disaster of a season.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Maybe you should've listened to me. Waste of money if you ask me. You selling the GC tickets now?

If the Hivriders are in the game, it should be easy to unload them for face value or better. If it's Calgary in the game instead, no chance, probably just be forced to go and watch them complete the trilogy by losing to Hamilton.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Has anyone figured out what Maas was doing kicking the FG? Did he forget the score again?

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Has anyone figured out what Maas was doing kicking the FG? Did he forget the score again?
I think he justified to himself that it would be easier driving the length of the field in the final minute to score seven than it would be getting to the forty and kicking a field goal. He makes bad decisions under pressure. It doesn’t need to be analyzed further than that.

Reactions: guymez

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006

Really no explanation at all. Enough time left to kickoff deep, but apparently not enough to take a couple shots at the endzone. The guy calls for 40 yard bombs on 2nd and short over and over. But the ONE time it makes sense to go deep, out comes the FG team to the bewilderment of all.

Good to hear the 1260 postgame ripping Maas and the whole organization. Wonder if CHED is busy making excuses.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I think he justified to himself that it would be easier driving the length of the field in the final minute to score seven than it would be getting to the forty and kicking a field goal. He makes bad decisions under pressure. It doesn’t need to be analyzed further than that.
It worked so well 11 months ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: guymez

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad