Elks: Edmonton Eskimos 2018 v3

Status
Not open for further replies.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Speaking of divisiveness, and the league requiring better QB talent than some of the riffraff we've had for a while...

Does anyone think Colin Kaepernick would consider playing a stint up north?
No one knows what that guy really wants. Is 31 in November and made 40mil so who knows

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Himself before his team or his league? Lol.

He knelt during an anthem or ten. Surely you dont think the same of everyone who walks, texts, eats, peed, or generally ignores the anthem at every sporting event ever, do you?

When you're lined up on a field in a uniform in front of 100,000 people and millions more watching on TV, and on company time, I doubt that is the same as some fan who decides to take a pee break or eat a hotdog.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
How often does Bo really generate the kind of numbers or stats that would get much of a look down south. I think a quantum difference is that the Stamps win on a team basis. Being strong 3 sides of the ball. Bo numbers are not usually spectacular in anyway.
Is Bo Levi Mitchell better than Ricky Ray was before he left for the NFL? IMO, he isn’t. There was a window that Flutie opened when he left where NFL teams took good looks at CFL quarterbacks. Jeff Garcia got a shot and had some good seasons in the NFL. Dave Dickenson got some playing time with the Chargers. Ray got a third string look with the Jets and Burris got less than that with the Bears. Then the window closed. I don’t think Mitchell is better than any of those guys anyway.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Himself before his team or his league? Lol.

He knelt during an anthem or ten. Surely you dont think the same of everyone who walks, texts, eats, peed, or generally ignores the anthem at every sporting event ever, do you?

Are you seriously trying to suggest that there is an equivalency between a player on the field using that stage to make a political statement and a fan going to the bathroom?

Seriously...lol

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Anderson wasn't disruptive to THIS team because the org at the time knew how to handle guys with a unique bent. Throw Anderson in a milieu like Boston and I wonder how long before that group finds things wrong with him. I think even the current Oilers org would have trouble with Anderson. Interesting that the org couldn't even handle Anderson well in his 2nd stint here. Love the player, but he was a challenge on and off the ice. Could go at length on that but not the topic here.

Far as Duke he's landing here successfully because players like Reilly and Maas and the org really have his back. He's shown some not great things as well. But the team is constantly believing in him and constantly being positive with him. Not dissimilar to how they were with Bowman. Good on the org to be able to do that.

I really don't think Carter has been properly utilized in Sask. Kind of odd to to have a guy play 3 sides of the ball and put him in tons of difficult spots and then say you're moving away from the guy. One day he's a primary defender covering top receivers, or even being a reasonable receiver, next day you're gone. Its off the field where the problem lies. The player can play. I would have Carter here in an instant over what we got in the secondary.

The one aspect I wouldn't tolerate is his trash talking opponents. That **** has to go but it would. Maybe he needed this kick in the pants.

Think your memory may be failing you. Anderson was disruptive to absolutely no one other than his opponents, as he hacked and whacked and skated and scored his way into the hockey hall of fame. My favorite Oiler from that era. Just because he was different doesn't mean he was or would have been a disruptive force in the organization or dressing room. Not sure how you'd come to that conclusion. When he was obtained in a trade for the 2nd go round, he had moved on from this team and organization and was disappointed he had to come to a team in disarray and rebuilding. His career was just about done by then. Can't really blame him, most guys at that stage would like to be with a contender to finish out their career. That short stint does not define what he is/was.

Reilly didn't stand over Duke in the off season while he slimmed down and did his workouts. That is on the player and no one else. You either do it or you don't. He recognized he needed to lose weight and get faster to play in this league, and he went out and did it. Kudos to him for that, and what he's done this year.

As Chris Jones said about Carter - he's a good player. From that, it should be obvious, it's everything else with him that is the problem. Saskatchewan sucks this year, and I wonder if some of Carter's spread of me first attitude has finally pervaded that room and created an unsettling atmosphere. His body language when a teammate made a mistake kind of tells it all. So un-Reilly like.

Last edited:

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Sorry but Warren Moon is much better than Calvillo. It’s not even close.
In all fairness to him he did say Moon was before his time. If you never saw Moon play in the CFL then you wouldn’t have any idea just how much better he was than everybody else. The numbers don’t tell the whole story. He only played here for six years so the career numbers aren’t as impressive as guys that spent their entire career up here. He also shared a lot of playing time with Wilkie.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
If you really want Montreal to do well (and we all do), you need to think big picture, and have them dip so low, that they have HAVE to fire Reed and clean house. It's the only way.
Didn’t they clean house before they hired Reed? It’s not like he came in and broke everything. It was already broken. Where do they go to fix it this time? As bad as Reed is, he may have been the best out of the pool of candidates that wanted that job.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I wonder if Jones was having Carter playing both sides of the ball just to try to keep him busy.

It was an odd situation to be sure. You have to think that there is more information forthcoming on DC.
I actually thought that there might be an announcement with another team picking him up this week.
He is so talented I figured somebody would take a flyer on him.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Didn’t they clean house before they hired Reed? It’s not like he came in and broke everything. It was already broken. Where do they go to fix it this time? As bad as Reed is, he may have been the best out of the pool of candidates that wanted that job.

If Reed was the best out of their candidate pool, then they need to expand the pool. By lots. Or look completely elsewhere. They've struggled before, but they are achieving new lows this year.

And cleaning house and bringing in more of the same shyte simply doesn't work. The Edmonton Oilers are a prime example of that.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
It was an odd situation to be sure. You have to think that there is more information forthcoming on DC.
I actually thought that there might be an announcement with another team picking him up this week.
He is so talented I figured somebody would take a flyer on him.

If there is more information on Carter, I'm pretty sure it will be coming from Carter and no one else. If he's smart he walks away with his mouth shut and tries to make good on yet another chance. It's a small league and burning bridges is never a good idea. Guys that people think are so talented yet can't stick, indicate a very serious problem.

The Hound

Oct 10, 2015
In all fairness to him he did say Moon was before his time. If you never saw Moon play in the CFL then you wouldn’t have any idea just how much better he was than everybody else. The numbers don’t tell the whole story. He only played here for six years so the career numbers aren’t as impressive as guys that spent their entire career up here. He also shared a lot of playing time with Wilkie.
Yep, I watch Nfl mainly, but I grew up with Calvillo, Ray, Burris, Dickinson, and Green. It was just my personal opinion, I didn’t say it with the intention of triggering people. I loved watching Calvillo play, he wasn’t very mobile, especially for a smaller QB, but he was really something else. I think in his prime he was on par with some Nfl QBs, and has to be one of the smartest QBs in football. Als have been a trainwreck since his forced retirement sadly.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Think your memory may be failing you. Anderson was disruptive to absolutely no one other than his opponents, as he hacked and whacked and skated and scored his way into the hockey hall of fame. My favorite Oiler from that era. Just because he was different doesn't mean he was or would have been a disruptive force in the organization or dressing room. Not sure how you'd come to that conclusion. When he was obtained in a trade for the 2nd go round, he had moved on from this team and organization and was disappointed he had to come to a team in disarray and rebuilding. His career was just about done by then. Can't really blame him, most guys at that stage would like to be with a contender to finish out their career. That short stint does not define what he is/was.

Reilly didn't stand over Duke in the off season while he slimmed down and did his workouts. That is on the player and no one else. You either do it or you don't. He recognized he needed to lose weight and get faster to play in this league, and he went out and did it. Kudos to him for that, and what he's done this year.

As Chris Jones said about Carter - he's a good player. From that, it should be obvious, it's everything else with him that is the problem. Saskatchewan sucks this year, and I wonder if some of Carter's spread of me first attitude has finally pervaded that room and created an unsettling atmosphere. His body language when a teammate made a mistake kind of tells it all. So un-Reilly like.

Don't ask Terry Jones or any of the media about Anderson. Or that there tons of things off ice that occurred which I won't mention here and even verged on potential jail time. Anderson had such a screwed up life that it took Sather to try to help him bury the stuff to make it go away. you want me to pm you some of the details I will. Anderson had huge problems. But I LOVED the player on the ice.

Jury is still out on Duke. Takes more than some games at a high level. He's had major dropoff just in his last couple games and that seems to be his trend. Happened last year and hope it doesn't happen this year. But he's had the success to the degree because of Reilly as much as due to himself. Reilly is essentially a star maker at this level. Every receiver in the league would want to be playing with him.
In anycase I want to see a bit more time of Duke on task before proclaiming he's a completely changed man. He's done better to this point.

Duke is about his own success. I don't get strong feelings of a strong team guy there either. He's a star, the impression I get is he figures the league is beneath him. We'll see how it ends up. Hey maybe he has a star career here for years but I doubt it.

Duron Carter has flirted or had 1000yd receiving seasons every year. That despite playing other positions, secondary, kick returns. Again the player on the field can get it done. That a player is a "cancer", is a label. His teammates liked him. Perhaps that's the problem. Seems like Jones didn't. You know I don't like the showboating either (with Carter or Duke who are both into it) but these are virtually identical characters except Duke don't play 3 sides of the ball and hasn't played pro ball well for any length of time like Carter has.

Riders suck because they don't have much by way of QB. Not hard to figure it being a problem. They have trouble scoring. A healthy Collaros will change that.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Don't ask Terry Jones or any of the media about Anderson. Or that there tons of things off ice that occurred which I won't mention here and even verged on potential jail time. Anderson had such a screwed up life that it took Sather to try to help him bury the stuff to make it go away. you want me to pm you some of the details I will. Anderson had huge problems. But I LOVED the player on the ice.

Jury is still out on Duke. Takes more than some games at a high level. He's had major dropoff just in his last couple games and that seems to be his trend. Happened last year and hope it doesn't happen this year. But he's had the success to the degree because of Reilly as much as due to himself. Reilly is essentially a star maker at this level. Every receiver in the league would want to be playing with him.
In anycase I want to see a bit more time of Duke on task before proclaiming he's a completely changed man. He's done better to this point.

Duke is about his own success. I don't get strong feelings of a strong team guy there either. He's a star, the impression I get is he figures the league is beneath him. We'll see how it ends up. Hey maybe he has a star career here for years but I doubt it.

Duron Carter has flirted or had 1000yd receiving seasons every year. That despite playing other positions, secondary, kick returns. Again the player on the field can get it done. That a player is a "cancer", is a label. His teammates liked him. Perhaps that's the problem. Seems like Jones didn't. You know I don't like the showboating either (with Carter or Duke who are both into it) but these are virtually identical characters except Duke don't play 3 sides of the ball and hasn't played pro ball well for any length of time like Carter has.

Riders suck because they don't have much by way of QB. Not hard to figure it being a problem. They have trouble scoring. A healthy Collaros will change that.

How do you know his teammates liked him? Did you take a survey?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
How do you know his teammates liked him? Did you take a survey?

As another poster informed several Riders players were the ones that informed Carter that he was being cut. He didn't even hear it from the source. Carter initiated contacting Jones because the players were telling him before he knew.

Besides which how wouldn't you like a player playing 3 sides of the ball and doing it all reasonably well? Anybody that disliked Duron Carter was flat out jealous of talent. Lots of guys have mouths. As a pro athlete that stuff shouldn't impact on the team mate level. Players generally respect guys that can play. Duron Carter can sure play.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
As another poster informed several Riders players were the ones that informed Carter that he was being cut. He didn't even hear it from the source. Carter initiated contacting Jones because the players were telling him before he knew.

Besides which how wouldn't you like a player playing 3 sides of the ball and doing it all reasonably well? Anybody that disliked Duron Carter was flat out jealous of talent. Lots of guys have mouths. As a pro athlete that stuff shouldn't impact on the team mate level. Players generally respect guys that can play. Duron Carter can sure play.

He can sure get into trouble too. 2 busts at the airport and intentionally knocking down a head coach of the opposing team. I doubt that he commands much respect in the dressing room. If there are players that have a ton of respect for this guy then they deserve to be cut too.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

Oh yeah? I wasn't aware you were in the riders locker room.

Reactions: TB12

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

Messam could sure play aswell

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

The Riders had a bye week and Carter was out of town, maybe that played a part in his teammates finding out before he did. Maybe he wasn’t supposed to be out of town and that was the final straw for Jones. Might explain why and how it happened when it did. Hard to think of what else could push Jones to act so quickly when Carter wasn’t around to do anything.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The Riders had a bye week and Carter was out of town, maybe that played a part in his teammates finding out before he did. Maybe he wasn’t supposed to be out of town and that was the final straw for Jones. Might explain why and how it happened when it did. Hard to think of what else could push Jones to act so quickly when Carter wasn’t around to do anything.

Interesting angle. I had wondered how it was that team mates knew and he didn't. It suggested something weird like maybe missing a practice or video day or something. The weird thing that doesn't make sense is Carter had been used a lot this season, just not as much as a receiver. Riders fans, even TSN, wanted the Riders to be using him as a receiver more often.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
He can sure get into trouble too. 2 busts at the airport and intentionally knocking down a head coach of the opposing team. I doubt that he commands much respect in the dressing room. If there are players that have a ton of respect for this guy then they deserve to be cut too.

Well, I sure can't agree that players on a team sport "deserve to be cut too" because they happen to respect a team mate. Actually that's a pretty weird take. Why would you cut players simply due to respect? That sure don't sound like just cause, and especially in context of team prosport, just saying..

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
DC's twitter account is a nightmare. If Duron Carters twitter handle DC chillin8 is legit he's got lots of issues. he is basically frying the coaching staff on there. Having seen that I'll revise my opinion. you can't make those kinds of comments known online. yeah they get read..

professionals of any kind should not be making those kinds of comments online about their employer. You can't do that and expect continued employment. Wow, wasn't clear on the extent of how off the wall this guy was. Changed my take reading his comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad