Elks: Edmonton Eskimos 2018 v3

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
NFL report:
Brandon Zylstra has really impressed in Minnesota. I’m hearing the odds of him making it (on active or PR) are at least 90 percent.

Redskins GM Doug Williams says that Kenny Ladler has impressed early in camp. His chances of making it are high. They really like Kenny.

Tevaun Smith was hurt in May or June and put on the Jags IR. I don’t have a further report on the kid.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
^Ottawa won as Manziel did absolutely zero in 2nd half.

I want the guy to succeed, CFL needs something good to happen and surely the Montreal team does. But that was a sad sad half of football by Johnny football. On one play he throws a mercy ball into triple coverage and miraculously his receiver comes up with the ball for a 5 yrd loss. He doesn't throw that ball out. Why?

On so many play when he gets rush pressure he moves so far back he takes himself out of any play. Its as if he's expecting he's going to have no trouble breaking contain back there against pro players.

There is a good QB there somewhere. But if he doesn't get in his head that he can't do half the things he thinks he can we won't be seeing it. SOOOO much garbage in his game.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
NFL report:
Brandon Zylstra has really impressed in Minnesota. I’m hearing the odds of him making it (on active or PR) are at least 90 percent.

Redskins GM Doug Williams says that Kenny Ladler has impressed early in camp. His chances of making it are high. They really like Kenny.

Tevaun Smith was hurt in May or June and put on the Jags IR. I don’t have a further report on the kid.

That sucks for the Esks. :(

The Hound

Oct 10, 2015
Duron would be awesome, I like his personality, and he’s a favorite player of mine on/off the field. His highlights and interviews are quality

Yeah15

2nd Tier Fan
Mar 15, 2007
Sounds like it's Als, Argos, Lions and Ti-Cats showing interest in DC

The Hound

Oct 10, 2015
Shame. I wouldn’t mind seeing Duron on BC I guess. Hopefully he returns to the Als though. I think once the rust wears off Manziel will succeed, I hope anyway. For his sake, and the Als. It’s as if our ball is very foreign to Manziel, I thought we changed it so it’s more similar to the NFL ball?

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Shame. I wouldn’t mind seeing Duron on BC I guess. Hopefully he returns to the Als though. I think once the rust wears off Manziel will succeed, I hope anyway. For his sake, and the Als. It’s as if our ball is very foreign to Manziel, I thought we changed it so it’s more similar to the NFL ball?

Accuracy and arm strength have never been his strengths. If the Als were smart, they would design the playbook around his ability to run and create offense from his scrambling.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Accuracy and arm strength have never been his strengths. If the Als were smart, they would design the playbook around his ability to run and create offense from his scrambling.

His scrambling hasn't been his strength here either. I've watched him twice now and he runs right into tackles as many times as a non running QB. He quite clearly still has happy feet, is not composed, but part of his problem is trying to do too much. Going back 15yds in an attempt to evade tackle is NEVER a good idea. I'm not sure what level of ball that was ever successful for him. Start going back and the only option available is throwing it away and avoiding sack.

We'll see what happens. He's too jacked up now and having trouble relaxing and letting a game come to him. Really forcing plays out there. Throwing into triple coverage is a recipe for disaster for any QB.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
His scrambling hasn't been his strength here either. I've watched him twice now and he runs right into tackles as many times as a non running QB. He quite clearly still has happy feet, is not composed, but part of his problem is trying to do too much. Going back 15yds in an attempt to evade tackle is NEVER a good idea. I'm not sure what level of ball that was ever successful for him. Start going back and the only option available is throwing it away and avoiding sack.

We'll see what happens. He's too jacked up now and having trouble relaxing and letting a game come to him. Really forcing plays out there. Throwing into triple coverage is a recipe for disaster for any QB.

He's still playing a college game at the pro level. I honestly don't know if he'll succeed here or not. Could go either way right now IMO.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
He's still playing a college game at the pro level. I honestly don't know if he'll succeed here or not. Could go either way right now IMO.

He is really showing some positive signs in only his 2nd CFL game. He has a game much like Flutie and once he gets used to the game I think he is going to be an exciting player to watch.
Also...his success would be great for the CFL in general.
I am a CFL fan...I would like to see this League do well.

Reactions: The Hound

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
He is really showing some positive signs in only his 2nd CFL game. He has a game much like Flutie and once he gets used to the game I think he is going to be an exciting player to watch.
Also...his success would be great for the CFL in general.

The "problem" is that if he succeeds, he'll likely be gone within a year. NFL teams are just waiting to see some sort of maturity and improvement in his game and his character, and if he shows that, he'll very likely be given another shot down south.

The Hound

Oct 10, 2015
The "problem" is that if he succeeds, he'll likely be gone within a year. NFL teams are just waiting to see some sort of maturity and improvement in his game and his character, and if he shows that, he'll very likely be given another shot down south.
Doesn’t mean he’ll succeed there though, I’m sure that’d cross his mind. Probably undergoing a huge reality check.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Doesn’t mean he’ll succeed there though, I’m sure that’d cross his mind. Probably undergoing a huge reality check.

He’d get paid more as a third string QB there than as a starter here.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Yeah, in a weird way his absolute struggle in the CFL thus far is good news as far as keeping him. I mean honestly he was so bad so far that if his name was not Manziel he might not be seeing another start.

I'm saying this from the perspective of loving mobile CFL QB's and wanting him to succeed but he hasn't even rushed well. He hasn't evaded tackle well. He hasn't been sharp at all.

Lets be clear here too. He's been watching CFL football all season. this isn't coming in cold never having seen the game. In the telecasts they say he's doing the playbook work and brushing up but its so common that plays look like a surprise to him.

One unexpected thing is how much defenders seem to want to annihilate him out there. He sure isn't well liked. Opponents are wanting to go out of their way to take helmet to helmet hits on him. I don't know where that's coming from honestly but its sure been the case. He's getting hit viciously repeatedly. To the point where I'm not clear if he will even be healthy for the game against the Esks.

The Hound

Oct 10, 2015
He’d get paid more as a third string QB there than as a starter here.
His improved character and maturity would play a part in that decision. Live out your dreams as a star professional football player, or just make money being backup to the backup lol. Take Ricky Ray’s NFL career for example.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
His improved character and maturity would play a part in that decision. Live out your dreams as a star professional football player, or just make money being backup to the backup lol. Take Ricky Ray’s NFL career for example.

I can’t honestly say which way he would go.

It’s part of what makes this more intriguing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad