Elks: Edmonton Eskimos 2018 v3

Status
Not open for further replies.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I agree about the poor coverage and returning.

O’Neill definitely isn’t part of the solution though. Replace him and McDiarmid with better personnel and that instantly improves the special teams.
Completely off topic, but I watched this episode last night and thought of you cloned.
images

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
He was a playboy in his time nothing close to the family man personality that mike has
IIn all fairness these are different times. The 60's and 70's were pretty wild, lots of infidelity, multiple partners popular, and at the same time...

I don't know that I'd contrast people in different eras like that when the zeitgeist of the times was just different. Expectations, standards of conduct now all different.

Drunk driving was much more of a thing then. ( I didn't) Drunk golfing was expected and including wrapping a golfcart around a tree. Debauchery was a sign of being virile. Flirting was everywhere, James Bond was showing what men should be about when Heff wasn't.

These were different times and furthered by different social standards, mores etc. or lack of them.

What Parker did would have been the mode of a star player back then. Look at guys like Guy Lafleur in Montreal. Being a "wild and crazy guy" was Steve Martin approved and expected.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
IIn all fairness these are different times. The 60's and 70's were pretty wild, lots of infidelity, multiple partners popular, and at the same time...

I don't know that I'd contrast people in different eras like that when the zeitgeist of the times was just different. Expectations, standards of conduct now all different.

Drunk driving was much more of a thing then. ( I didn't) Drunk golfing was expected and including wrapping a golfcart around a tree. Debauchery was a sign of being virile. Flirting was everywhere, James Bond was showing what men should be about when Heff wasn't.

These were different times and furthered by different social standards, mores etc. or lack of them.

What Parker did would have been the mode of a star player back then. Look at guys like Guy Lafleur in Montreal. Being a "wild and crazy guy" was Steve Martin approved and expected.
Judging by tinder it's still quite popular to be doing this.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Judging by tinder it's still quite popular to be doing this.

This is OT, but its different because that represents NOT choosing life partners. If you are in a serious relationship now the expectation is fidelity. It really wasn't back then. It was kind of assumed married men and women would wander.. Social mores in relationships have shifted to monogamy more.

Tinder isn't representative of infidelity as much because most denizens there would just be hooking up. There was a site, a number of years ago that shut down. Can't remember the name. Ashley something? That site targeted infidelity.

Anyway back to Reilly, congrats to him on being a father again. I heard it was C section. So the Mrs and him actually scheduled this in to fit within the team schedule. That's amazing in itself.

I kind of think the Oilers could use a personality like Mike Reilly.

I wonder what its like for football players to come here to this org and see Mike Reilly being boss. It would take 5mins to realize that he's the one. The one you play for, the one that hoists the cup first, the one you follow. McD is a fantastic player but he lacks some of the swagger that Mike carries around.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I didnt realize the team had won their last 3 games in Hamilton. So much for my theory. :laugh:

Hamilton has a decent record in Edmonton though over the same stretch including two beat downs over the Esks in Commonwealth, and that ridiculous come from behind, so it's a matchup of road warriors.

My gut tells me that if you go back even further over the past ten years or so that traditionally the road team has the better record in this matchup.

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Hamilton has a decent record in Edmonton though over the same stretch including two beat downs over the Esks in Commonwealth, and that ridiculous come from behind, so it's a matchup of road warriors.

My gut tells me that if you go back even further over the past ten years or so that traditionally the road team has the better record in this matchup.

Good...then I fully expect an Eskimo win on Thursday. :nod:

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Oh come on, there were plenty of family guys back then as well. There are plenty of other shenanigans today that guys can get themselves wrapped up in. I don't remember a whole lot of gun play incidents back them for example. You make it sound like it was the wild west, and it wasn't.

Reactions: MoontoScott

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Oh come on, there were plenty of family guys back then as well. There are plenty of other shenanigans today that guys can get themselves wrapped up in. I don't remember a whole lot of gun play incidents back them for example. You make it sound like it was the wild west, and it wasn't.
To be sure, people are people no matter what generation we are talking about. If you ask me, today's social standards certainly don't lend themselves towards monogamy. There were lots of great family guys on the Esks back in the days of Parker but unfortunately he wasn't one of them. Look at Johnny Bright and Normie Kwong as good examples of the family types.

Reactions: guymez

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
The only difference between now and then was people then understood what discretion was and preferred to mind their own business. Today everyone has a cell phone camera and is giddy at the thought of blowing the whistle on somebody else.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
The only difference between now and then was people then understood what discretion was and preferred to mind their own business. Today everyone has a cell phone camera and is giddy at the thought of blowing the whistle on somebody else.

Possibly that but a big part is that people have become empowered to stand up for themselves and not accept things like infidelity as common and acceptable practice (unless both have previously agreed to it) and that certain common behaviors in the past are simply not acceptable.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Possibly that but a big part is that people have become empowered to stand up for themselves and not accept things like infidelity as common and acceptable practice (unless both have previously agreed to it) and that certain common behaviors in the past are simply not acceptable.

I would suggest that the pendulum has swung too far due to technology....this isnt about honesty often enough.
All too often its about agendas. Virtue signalling has gone nuts these days especially when the king of virtue signalling is the current PM.
Even in terms of infidelity...accusations carry a lot of weight and cause a lot of damage thats difficult if not impossible to reverse...truth be damned.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
People want to feel superior to others. This generation has learned its much easier to knock somebody else down a peg when the opportunity arises than it is to genuinely elevate yourself.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Apparently Argos front-runner on Carter. Not sure that's an accurate term though. Seems like they are the only ones interested at this point.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Really good all around story for Zylstra. The fact that he is hurt and hasn't played in pre-season really shows how much the Vikings like this kid

true. I guess he had just an insane training camp though.

I read he's practicing on the second team this week and is expected to play against seattle.

the star tribune did a projection after the second game and they have him as making it despite not playing yet.

Who's in? Who's out? A 53-man roster projection for the Vikings

they mentioned "decision on the top bubble player — Cayleb Jones — is postponed four weeks due to his suspension for PEDs. "

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
To be sure, people are people no matter what generation we are talking about. If you ask me, today's social standards certainly don't lend themselves towards monogamy. There were lots of great family guys on the Esks back in the days of Parker but unfortunately he wasn't one of them. Look at Johnny Bright and Normie Kwong as good examples of the family types.
I have a friend, a former Eskimo and a Christian, who quit playing because of the women who threw themselves at players and the players who happily accepted.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I have a friend, a former Eskimo and a Christian, who quit playing because of the women who threw themselves at players and the players who happily accepted.

There will always be the guys and girls who will do it and those who won't regardless of which generation we are talking about.

If you are unattached and single then go ahead and do it, no big deal but if you have someone special at home then you should think twice, Christian or not.

Reactions: guymez

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
There will always be the guys and girls who will do it and those who won't regardless of which generation we are talking about.

If you are unattached and single then go ahead and do it, no big deal but if you have someone special at home then you should think twice, Christian or not.
Do we need the qualifier "If you have someone special at home"

Isn't every spouse deserving of Dignity? Fidelity? Honesty? Trust?

Otherwise I agree with you.

In anycase this is a discussion for OT thread and probably not best in Football thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad