Elks: Edmonton Eskimos 2018 v3

Status
Not open for further replies.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I dunno how you can say their offense wasn't that great... they scored 40 and put up some 375 yards.

And with jones' D, if they can score 20 points they should have a shot to win every game.

They're certainly on the upswing, imo.
It was one rushing TD, 2 defensive TD's and 6 field goals

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I dunno how you can say their offense wasn't that great... they scored 40 and put up some 375 yards.

And with jones' D, if they can score 20 points they should have a shot to win every game.

Yardage for both teams was a wash. (382-370). The difference was turnovers (5-1) particularly since two of the turnover lead directly to 15 points and a third gave them a short field for another 7 points. 22-0 in points off turnovers is a big advantage.

However, it was a solid outing for their offense overall. Between the two offenses, I think the big difference was that Saskatchewan didn't get many 2 and outs, and as such were able to make a bunch of field goals, whereas Calgary was stuffed regularly (especially in the first half), but when they would get a couple first downs in a row, they took it to the house.

Last edited:

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
It was one rushing TD, 2 defensive TD's and 6 field goals

Oh, I'm sorry I forgot that those methods of scoring points didn't win football games?

I mean, they aren't going to line up a 6 minute drive with 9/9 completions to score a TD from their own 20 like we've done all year... but they have much stronger defensive schemes and aren't getting tossed around like a rag doll at special teams. They are stingy and don't bend or break and force turnovers all game every game.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Oh, I'm sorry I forgot that those methods of scoring points didn't win football games?

I mean, they aren't going to line up a 6 minute drive with 9/9 completions to score a TD from their own 20 like we've done all year... but they have much stronger defensive schemes and aren't getting tossed around like a rag doll at special teams. They are stingy and don't bend or break and force turnovers all game every game.

I don't think he's saying those methods don't contribute to winning. He's just challenging your argument about the quality of their offense because of scoring 40 points when many of those 40 points occurred (15) when they the offense wasn't even on the field and 7 were a result of the defense getting them the ball at Calgary's 30. That's all.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

One TD was an interception return picksix. Another was a punt block for TD.

You can't really rely on that type of scoring. I think the Bombers did one year.

Riders need some offensive tools and as much as the broadcast was ecstatic about a Collaros revival he sure flat out missed some gravy tosses out there for pts.

That said I certainly respect the Riders potential. I think the Esks are in tough against that club.

I can see Winnipeg falling to last place.

I think the finish in the west this year is

Calgary
Sask
Edm
BC
Winnipeg

Although the last 4 will all be close.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I don't think he's saying those methods don't contribute to winning. He's just challenging your argument about the quality of their offense because of scoring 40 points when many of those 40 points occurred (15) when they the offense wasn't even on the field and 7 were a result of the defense getting them the ball at Calgary's 30. That's all.
Pretty much this. Right now the Roughriders have 5 passing TD's and 4 rushing TD's. At some point that is going to have to change if they are to battle it out in the West.

Luckily for the Roughridres they are playing a weaker team this weak and can build on this week's game

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
But it also works the other way. The Eskimos now have some film on Pipkin. He had a decent game, but if they ever get a chance to line up against him again, it could be different for him. And not in a good way.

Totally fair point.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
We should offer significant money for Jon Ryan. He just got released by the Seahawks today. He’d improve our special teams instantly...

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Sunderland SHOULD have a lot of cap space based on how the offseason went, and since it's looking unlikely that Zylstra is coming back this year, he probably won't need the "reserve" cap space, so just sign Ryan for the remainder of this season at big money.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
We should offer significant money for Jon Ryan. He just got released by the Seahawks today. He’d improve our special teams instantly...

Can he run back kicks? Block downfield? Tackle? Devise better schemes for both runbacks and coverage? Because those are the areas we need help in.

Reactions: Gord

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Can he run back kicks? Block downfield? Tackle? Devise better schemes for both runbacks and coverage? Because those are the areas we need help in.

One step at a time. There are a number of issues with our special teams, not the least of which are extremely poor kickoffs and punting. The schemes and overall play haven't been good either, but it doesn't help when your kicker spots the other team's returner a 15-20 yard advantage with his lack of leg.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
One step at a time. There are a number of issues with our special teams, not the least of which are extremely poor kickoffs and punting. The schemes and overall play haven't been good either, but it doesn't help when your kicker spots the other team's returner a 15-20 yard advantage with his lack of leg.

I think a kicker is pretty far down the list of issues on this team, and special teams in particular.

O'Neill is 2nd in punting average.

On kickoffs, there is about a 3 to 4 yard average difference in most of the kickers.

You'll need to clarify what you mean by spotting the other team 15-20 yards because I'm not seeing it.

Last edited:

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I think a kicker is pretty far down the list of issues on this team, and special teams in particular.

Whyte is great, Hugh is terrible and routinely sets this team back 15-20 yards every time he kicks off or punts. It is not a good thing when he kicks off and the returner catches the ball already at his own 20 yard line. The goal should be to tackle him at the 20 yard line or before, and you can’t do that if he’s starting already at the 20.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Also, Ryan is a punter, not a kickoff guy, so signing him doesn't change anything there.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

On kickoffs, there is about a 3 to 4 yard average difference in most of the kickers.

You'll need to clarify what you mean by spotting the other team 15-20 yards because I'm not seeing it.

Not sure where you’re getting your numbers from.

CFL website has Hugh tied for LAST in kickoff averages for kickers who do regular kickoffs. His longest kickoff this year is 70 yards which is last in that category.

He’s also 4th in punting average, although punting average doesn’t mean as much since often times direction and pinning is more important than straight distance. I will say that based on the eye test Hugh doesn’t have a strong leg so he can’t get a huge punt when it’s needed. He also isn’t great at pinning.

He has two jobs on this team and he doesn’t do either very well.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
I remember when O'Neill played for the Uof A Bears and was regarded as a sure-fire NFL'r.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Me neither. Its not the actual kicking itself that is hurting us, its the returns other clubs get vs the returns we don't get. Also that we take a lot of penalties on our returns meaning that we are often farther back than the opponent even punted the ball. I don't mind O' Neill. Whats not to like? he's placing the ball fairly well, our kick coverage isn't so great.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
I agree that the esks should better spend their money. while O'Neil isn't the best kicker, he's ok and far down the list of problems with the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad