Elks: Edmonton Eskimos 2018 v3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Really good game by Cooper at RB. Have to say I was not expecting that kind of performance. He was sensational and better than Robinson. Very quick cuts, anticipation, speed, acceleration. Exciting back to watch.

just has to work on blocking.

I wasn't too surprised at what Cooper could do with the ball. One of the guys I go to games with has been raving about his abilities since training camp, and guaranteed if he was the featured back he'd impress.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
One step at a time. There are a number of issues with our special teams, not the least of which are extremely poor kickoffs and punting. The schemes and overall play haven't been good either, but it doesn't help when your kicker spots the other team's returner a 15-20 yard advantage with his lack of leg.

I honestly don't think the kicker is the issue here. His kicking isn't as strong this year, but his punting and kickoffs were decent last year, and he could still rebound. Where we see the difference in net yards comes from the fact that we don't have many play makers that stuff the guy in the first 5 yards of a return, and on the return teams, we get a penalty called basically every second or third return and those penalties typically account for 20-30 yards of field position.

When you simply looks at the stats, we are usually pretty close to the opposition in average net yards unless there is a onside kick or big return (>40 yards). Where the field is getting flipped is the penalties.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Saw a picture on IG of Subban with Terrell Owens. Now you can make a case for either guy being in the better shape, but that seems impressive for Owens

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Not sure where you’re getting your numbers from.

CFL website has Hugh tied for LAST in kickoff averages for kickers who do regular kickoffs. His longest kickoff this year is 70 yards which is last in that category.

He’s also 4th in punting average, although punting average doesn’t mean as much since often times direction and pinning is more important than straight distance. I will say that based on the eye test Hugh doesn’t have a strong leg so he can’t get a huge punt when it’s needed. He also isn’t great at pinning.

He has two jobs on this team and he doesn’t do either very well.

Right off the CFL.com site

Stats - CFL.ca

Might have been off in placement in the punting part, but the point is, there is a difference between all of those guys of a couple yards and he's still in the top half of average.

And on kickoffs he is within 3-4 yards of everyone else.

But you didn't answer my question. Where are you getting this 15-20 yards of difference every time he kicks?

And again I ask, how would John Ryan the punter(if he were still available), help on kickoffs? Are you proposing to bring in a 3rd guy to just do that??

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Mike Reilly is simply a god among men. How he can have the energy to be a star on the football field every week while having the sleepless nights of expecting a birth of a baby any minute. His mental reserves and energy are off the charts.

Congrats to a great player, man, and husband and father.

Our forefathers got to experience Jackie Parker, we got Mike Reilly, I feel they are the same.

Reactions: Darkwinter

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
This is going to be a tough game coming up against Hamilton. They match up really well with the Esks and they are coming off their bye week.
The Esks are also coming off of a short week.

Also...they almost never play well in Hamilton for some strange reason.

I will be impressed if they win this game.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
This is going to be a tough game coming up against Hamilton. They match up really well with the Esks and they are coming off their bye week.
The Esks are also coming off of a short week.

Also...they almost never play well in Hamilton for some strange reason.

I will be impressed if they win this game.
Always close games. Think we won the past 3 there, but by only dozen points or something combined. Even our loss I believe was a 3 point game.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Mike Reilly is simply a god among men. How he can have the energy to be a star on the football field every week while having the sleepless nights of expecting a birth of a baby any minute. His mental reserves and energy are off the charts.

Congrats to a great player, man, and husband and father.

Our forefathers got to experience Jackie Parker, we got Mike Reilly, I feel they are the same.

I think people who knew Jackie Parker would not describe him as a God amongst men.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Always close games. Think we won the past 3 there, but by only dozen points or something combined. Even our loss I believe was a 3 point game.

I didnt realize the team had won their last 3 games in Hamilton. So much for my theory. :laugh:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I didnt realize the team had won their last 3 games in Hamilton. So much for my theory. :laugh:
Oh I forgot it might be more if you count playoff games. I just kind of know due to a friend being a Cats fan and us having bets.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I think people who knew Jackie Parker would not describe him as a God amongst men.

Well suffice to say that Jackie and Mike might have been similar on the field (different eras) but I think those similarities would end off the field. Parker was before my time but his exploits lived on long after his playing career.

Here's an old joke that Wes Montgomery used to tell on Edmonton radio all the time:

"Jackie and I left the golf course and as we are driving home Jackie says to me, Wes--don't worry about hitting the ditch, we've been in it for the last half hour."

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Well suffice to say that Jackie and Mike might have been similar on the field (different eras) but I think those similarities would end off the field. Parker was before my time but his exploits lived on long after his playing career.

Here's an old joke that Wes Montgomery used to tell on Edmonton radio all the time:

"Jackie and I left the golf course and as we are driving home Jackie says to me, Wes--don't worry about hitting the ditch, we've been in it for the last half hour."

No doubt, Jackie Parker was hardly a "God" by any stretch. A talented athlete, and by all accounts a nice man, who's fumble recovery in '56 will live on, but a hard living fella that like his fun and his booze.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
No doubt, Jackie Parker was hardly a "God" by any stretch. A talented athlete, and by all accounts a nice man, who's fumble recovery in '56 will live on, but a hard living fella that like his fun and his booze.

Whats not god like about that? I heard rumor that god liked fermented grapes. ;)

Wasn't the fumble recovery in 54?

The guy played 3 sides of the game, he ran, played QB, defended, and kicked punts. At halftime he was probably clearing snow off the field..

Whats more he and his wife decided to play here with the Eskimos instead of going to the flashy lights in NY and twice the pay. hes a legend to me anytime.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Good old Wes. I remember hearing that story a few times.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Right off the CFL.com site

Stats - CFL.ca

Might have been off in placement in the punting part, but the point is, there is a difference between all of those guys of a couple yards and he's still in the top half of average.

And on kickoffs he is within 3-4 yards of everyone else.

But you didn't answer my question. Where are you getting this 15-20 yards of difference every time he kicks?

And again I ask, how would John Ryan the punter(if he were still available), help on kickoffs? Are you proposing to bring in a 3rd guy to just do that??

Because when you’re underkicking consistently, it doesn’t give your cover team as much time or space to fill lanes and deploy properly. 5-10 yards underkicking can easily translate to 15-20 yards of total field position.

Point is they need a better punter and kicker for kickoffs.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Punting is so weird in the CFL. No real art, just boot the freaking ball as far as you can.

In the NFL if you can't pin guys inside the 20 or don't have the hang time to go with the distance you are gone rather quickly.

Then again their kickoffs are just meaningless.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Because when you’re underkicking consistently, it doesn’t give your cover team as much time or space to fill lanes and deploy properly. 5-10 yards underkicking can easily translate to 15-20 yards of total field position.

Point is they need a better punter and kicker for kickoffs.

We're talking THREE to FOUR yards here, not 15-20 as you suggest. That is not going to blow up anyone's coverage schemes. You're making far too big a deal of it. They need to cover the punts and kickoffs one hell of a lot better, and return the ball better. Start with those things, and O'Neill's punting deficiencies (in your mind) don't even come into play.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
We're talking THREE to FOUR yards here, not 15-20 as you suggest. That is not going to blow up anyone's coverage schemes. You're making far too big a deal of it. They need to cover the punts and kickoffs one hell of a lot better, and return the ball better. Start with those things, and O'Neill's punting deficiencies (in your mind) don't even come into play.

I agree about the poor coverage and returning.

O’Neill definitely isn’t part of the solution though. Replace him and McDiarmid with better personnel and that instantly improves the special teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad