Elks: Edmonton Eskimos 2018 v2

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Manziel traded to the Alouettes...

Should be interesting with Sherman and Manziel there now.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Wow, massive trade too.

Manziel + Washington + Rice for Jamaal Westermann, Chris Williams and 2 first round picks

Jesus.

I'm pretty sure Montreal made themselves worse with this trade though. I don't care how good Manziel is if he has no one to throw to.

Montreal now has no first round picks for the next 3 drafts. They traded away their best receiver and a solid defensive player in Westermann. All for an unproven QB who will probably leave in 2 years anyways and a starting OT.

lol, Kavis Reed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kyle McMahon

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Wow, massive trade too.

Manziel + Washington + Rice for Jamaal Westermann, Chris Williams and 2 first round picks

Jesus.

I'm pretty sure Montreal made themselves worse with this trade though. I don't care how good Manziel is if he has no one to throw to.

Montreal now has no first round picks for the next 3 drafts. They traded away their best receiver and a solid defensive player in Westermann. All for an unproven QB who will probably leave in 2 years anyways and a starting OT.

lol, Kavis Reed.
Montreal is turning into the laughing stock, They should just go to 1 division so all the west teams can make playoffs.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I said Kavis would be a disaster the day he was hired. He might actually be worse than Maciocia as a gm.
Maccioca probably would have been a better choice for them. As awful as he was for us, he did have several years of experience and may have learned something from his mistakes.:sarcasm:

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Manziel traded to the Alouettes...

Should be interesting with Sherman and Manziel there now.
Because of the bye week and a busy couple of days, I didn’t see any of this weeks games. Did this trade come out of the blue as much as I think it did or was there some known reason for it that they were talking about this week. I’m surprised Hamilton gave up on him so quickly.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Injury to Montreal starting QB and ineffective backup means that the Als had to do something and T-cats thought Manziel was expendable.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
This trade will look terrible for Montreal if Manziel flees to the NFL. It’s a big gamble. But now we get to see what Manziel can do in game action.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Injury to Montreal starting QB and ineffective backup means that the Als had to do something and T-cats thought Manziel was expendable.
I’m just a little surprised they moved him so soon considering all the hoops they needed to jump through just to sign him in the first place. What’s changed in Hamilton where they’d think he’d be expendable now?

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I’m just a little surprised they moved him so soon considering all the hoops they needed to jump through just to sign him in the first place. What’s changed in Hamilton where they’d think he’d be expendable now?

I think they have realized what other teams do: Lots of hype south of the border that translates into very little here. The fact is that he couldn't beat out a CFL QB who hasn't played that much in the last five seasons and has never had a really big season. No big deal but still better than Johnny.

All that NFL residue--I can't believe that people thought a 44 year old Owens was coming up here to make a tangible difference-ridiculous.

Last edited:

BleedingOil

Dec 4, 2006
Edmonton
Montreal had to do something, just terrible qb play for years. Williams and Westerman are both on the wrong side of 30 and were not doing much to help them get Ws. Draft picks are steep but you gotta pay a premium when trading in the division.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Besides Las Vegas Montreal is probably the worst place in North America for Johnny on a personal level.

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
I can't believe it was league orchestrated. It was just a tremendously bad move that seemed to me like it was based on oiler logic, i.e. "we suck so our best player(s) must be the ones bringing us down". Truthfully, it bugs me more that Tillman is still employed as a GM.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I still think Ray was gifted to Toronto.
That trades still bugs me.
I think it was time for Ray to go, but that deal was such a ripoff I don't see how it wasn't league orchestrated.

I agree, it was probably time for Ray to go but the return was essentially for magic beans that never sprouted.

The EE had itself to blame for the fiasco. Many people didn't want ET and his reputation for trading #1 QBs but he was hired anyway-- against the wishes of the paying customer. This deeply angered a lot fans who said-- no more of my money. Going against the wishes of your clients has a habit of backfiring on you. The back to back train wrecks of DM and ET did significant damage.

Ditto for Oiler GM Chia. He had a rep for trading away young stars who had run afoul of his "fully mature and no party stuff by age 21" mantra. We hired him anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad