Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
Little inappropriate imo.

DkQK6ZLUUAEaVsq.jpg

Reactions: Drivesaitl

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Think I already brought up this scenario a few weeks back, and you pooh-poohed it, saying there was little chance of it happening again to the Stampeders.
Mine was sarcastic. There is still little chance of that happening. That Stamps team is determined not to let history repeat itself - a second time.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I remember when Larry Highbaugh used to play school volleyball teams by himself.
I was thinking about this last night and I wondered if Highbaugh was representing the Eskimos when he did those events. I lived in a small religious town just outside Saskatoon when he came with two other guys ( I think Joe Holliman was one, can’t remember the other guy) to my school in 1981. He was representing Athletes in Action which was a Christian organization and they were touring all the towns in the area. Its possible he represented the Eskimos doing those events here but I know he did them for Athletes in Action elsewhere.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
curious to know what the CFL has in plan to get the attendance in both Montreal and TO? Their stats are ugly

Vancouver isn't any better ---17K and change the other night against a Western rival on a summer evening.

I don't know what can be done. Like all problems there is no single fix.

There was a serious downturn during the brief run of the CFL's last commissioner. What an unfortunate choice he was, his apathy towards the league didn't go unnoticed and it really added to the problem. Throw in some very questionable hiring choices like Mr. consequences and it gets ugly. Who would have thought that a pariah like Tillman would get another executive job in the CFL? It is just plain sad when you have to recycle guys like this.

To add irony to the script, DM is being mentioned as a franchise saviour in Montreal. After reading this suggestion the stark reality hits you. It's like putting Keith Richards in charge of the rehab center.

I think if Randy had been the CFL boss the last 5 years then the situation would have been a bit different. He has been one of the few bright spots in the last 5 years.

It will be a long road back for the CFL in Canada's largest cities.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
CFL can get back in Vancouver and Mtl. Those attendance figures have always ebbed. Toronto is a lost cause. No amount of promotion or venue shift matters in Toronto. Argos also just won another Grey Cup and are having these numbers. In Montreal the team hasn't been good since Calvillo. In BC I can't remember the last time. Actually prior to Lulay being injured for several seasons running.

Of note those are two teams whose fortunes plummeted on and off field due to the absence of a bonafide QB. Its the latter that is a large part of the problem. For years the CFL was running with QB's like Drew Willy, Kevin Glenn, Jonathon, Jennings as well as 13 in a row of QB's in Montreal that you can't even remember since Calvillo.

This has occurred before. Even the Eskimos clubbed their fans silly for an entire decade in the 60's with pathetic QB after QB that basically precluded winning or entertainment. In this brand of football especially QB's are essential. The entertainment lifeblood. If your QB happens to be a Drew Willy you just don't go. You know theres no reason to entertainment wise.

The CFL is making some headway. Manziel is a big addition to the league and he will spur interest in Montreal. Lulay is healthy again and cross fingers because he's always been very good. Masoli has found his game now after several seasons. Reilly, Bo, taking care of business. Toronto might have found another QB in light of RR injury and retirement. Harris in Ottawa bores me. But most clubs have decent starting QB's finally. Been a long time, seemingly forever, that you could say that relative to the CFL.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I was thinking about this last night and I wondered if Highbaugh was representing the Eskimos when he did those events. I lived in a small religious town just outside Saskatoon when he came with two other guys ( I think Joe Holliman was one, can’t remember the other guy) to my school in 1981. He was representing Athletes in Action which was a Christian organization and they were touring all the towns in the area. Its possible he represented the Eskimos doing those events here but I know he did them for Athletes in Action elsewhere.

I applaud your ability to recall past events...that was a long freaking time ago. :nod:

My comment on this would be that virtually everyone there knew that he was a member of the Edmonton Eskimos so there was a strong association with the team just by him showing up...even if it was in a different capacity.

I would like to see the team fund something like this...I think it would be a big positive for CFL exposure if it was done across the League.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->