Elks: Edmonton Eskimos 2018 v2

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
seriously, I think you're the only person I have ever heard that has come out and said they prefer to watch inferior players and and inferior product. that kind of thinking is part of the reason people think the CFL is bush league.

to the vast majority of people, what makes the game Canadian is the field and the rules, not the nationality of the people playing.

often second rate talent getting paid the most amount of money.

people involved in, and close to those in canadian college ball and the CFL might feel a bit differently, but it's time to look hard at this.

The state of the game is to the point where the need to worry more about it's survival than protecting a few jobs for Canadians.

I don't really understand your last paragraph. What is it about the game that you feel has thrown its very survival into question? And why would this problem be corrected by a couple extra Americans on the field?

Eliminating the ratio at this exact moment would only see noticeable improvement in one, maybe two positions on this roster. Free safety is a weakness. Surely there are an abundance of Americans that could replace Neil King. And there's probably an American that could boom punts and kickoffs further than Hugh O'Neill. Besides that, I don't see where improvements can really be made. Most American O-linemen that come up here are stop-gap level players. Replacing fullbacks, back-up running backs, and the 4th option at receiver, positions Canadians typically fill, is hardly going to have a profound impact on the product.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
I mean I guess, part of the future is having people, kids, think they can actual make the league. If you make that an impossibility, they won't care. Also, the league's survival is going to come down to a lot more then that.

I didn't say ban Canadians, but they need to make the teams by their abilities, not their nationality. it will only be an impossibility for those who are not good enough or can't get to 300 pounds.

I do know that the quality of the game is impacted by the lack of canadian talent and I personally know people who have been turned off the game because of that.
I'd rather the best players play the canadian game and get the best product on the field. I feel that a higher quality of football will do more to ensure the success of the league than mandating poor Canadian athletes on the rosters.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
I don't really understand your last paragraph. What is it about the game that you feel has thrown its very survival into question? And why would this problem be corrected by a couple extra Americans on the field?

Eliminating the ratio at this exact moment would only see noticeable improvement in one, maybe two positions on this roster. Free safety is a weakness. Surely there are an abundance of Americans that could replace Neil King. And there's probably an American that could boom punts and kickoffs further than Hugh O'Neill. Besides that, I don't see where improvements can really be made. Most American O-linemen that come up here are stop-gap level players. Replacing fullbacks, back-up running backs, and the 4th option at receiver, positions Canadians typically fill, is hardly going to have a profound impact on the product.

I believe the quality of play has gotten quite poor. if eliminating a few Canadian jobs can help improve the level of talent and level of play, than I don't see the point in protecting some of those jobs.

I think the CFL for many reasons is bleeding a slow death, especially by not being able to get more bums in seats. could be wrong as the CFL always seems to limp along. but times have changed, the game is changing. Heck, it seems soccer is more popular than football.

I certainly don't agree with the idea that a lower level of talent is ok just because they are canadian.

Would it really destroy the fabric of the Canadian game if the CFL didn't force so many canadian players on teams? the lack of talent gets pretty glaring if there are a couple of injuries.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
I don't know. I'm probably just being negative today, and overreaching.
but basically I don't see enough benefit of mandating so many canadian players when the quality of play in the CFL isn't that great.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Meantime, no matter how you feel about Canadian content rules, the attendance situation in both Vancouver and Toronto has reached the critical levels.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
seriously, I think you're the only person I have ever heard that has come out and said they prefer to watch inferior players and and inferior product. that kind of thinking is part of the reason people think the CFL is bush league.

to the vast majority of people, what makes the game Canadian is the field and the rules, not the nationality of the people playing.

often second rate talent getting paid the most amount of money.

people involved in, and close to those in canadian college ball and the CFL might feel a bit differently, but it's time to look hard at this.

The state of the game is to the point where the need to worry more about it's survival than protecting a few jobs for Canadians.
Duke and Walker are inferior to the elite NFL receivers; Reilly is inferior to Tom Brady. Our Canadian linemen are inferior to an all-American line.

I’m happy with a league that gives opportunities to Canadians and has lesser import players who can build a career and a life here. As @Beerfish has mentioned, a league of all imports would die. I’ve been a fan for decades and an NFL-lite would not interest me.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Does anyone know if I can screenshot my season ticket card for scanning at the gate? This would only happen if I forget my card at home. I know I can show ID at the stadium for a replacement ticket. I should try it next game.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I believe the quality of play has gotten quite poor. if eliminating a few Canadian jobs can help improve the level of talent and level of play, than I don't see the point in protecting some of those jobs.

I think the CFL for many reasons is bleeding a slow death, especially by not being able to get more bums in seats. could be wrong as the CFL always seems to limp along. but times have changed, the game is changing. Heck, it seems soccer is more popular than football.

I certainly don't agree with the idea that a lower level of talent is ok just because they are canadian.

Would it really destroy the fabric of the Canadian game if the CFL didn't force so many canadian players on teams? the lack of talent gets pretty glaring if there are a couple of injuries.

You're speaking in rather vague terms here. Which Canadians are blocking Americans who would improve the quality of play? Neil King is the only name on the Eskimos roster that is consistently on the field due to ratio considerations moreso than ability.

Canadians basically cover four O-line spots, the 4th receiver, free safety, and then one other position on the field, be it the fifth O-line spot or an interior D-line position. A Canadian will only be in different position than those if he's legitimately that good and better than American options, or there's been a rash of injuries. There are no weak Canadians playing skill positions.

Reactions: Beerfish

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
The ratio was brought in to help Canadian football at the grass roots level. Canadians would never have the opportunity to compete with Americans due to numbers and a more rabid football culture in the US. The Canadians that are in the league, because of their protected status, tend to become staples in the league. They stick around for years and become the face of the CFL. The American players are a dime a dozen just due to the sheer size of the talent pool they’re drawn from. They are either pushed out because somebody younger and cheaper can take their job or, if they’re really good they head to the NFL.

One of the problems this league has is a lack of players identifiable to fans. Beerfish commented that a league filled with Americans would kill the league. He’s right because it would be filled with disposable players that wouldn’t be around long enough for anybody to start caring about them.

I honestly don’t understand why everyone is complaining about this. Every team has identical rules. Every team has the same weaknesses. It’s not like it was in the expansion era when you could actually see the talent gap between the American and Canadian teams caused by the ratio.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
The ratio was brought in to help Canadian football at the grass roots level. Canadians would never have the opportunity to compete with Americans due to numbers and a more rabid football culture in the US. The Canadians that are in the league, because of their protected status, tend to become staples in the league. They stick around for years and become the face of the CFL. The American players are a dime a dozen just due to the sheer size of the talent pool they’re drawn from. They are either pushed out because somebody younger and cheaper can take their job or, if they’re really good they head to the NFL.

One of the problems this league has is a lack of players identifiable to fans. Beerfish commented that a league filled with Americans would kill the league. He’s right because it would be filled with disposable players that wouldn’t be around long enough for anybody to start caring about them.

I honestly don’t understand why everyone is complaining about this. Every team has identical rules. Every team has the same weaknesses. It’s not like it was in the expansion era when you could actually see the talent gap between the American and Canadian teams caused by the ratio.
Yeah, U.S. expansion...worst mistake the league ever made. They gifted championships the American teams as they had the huge roster advantage.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Yeah, U.S. expansion...worst mistake the league ever made. They gifted championships the American teams as they had the huge roster advantage.
The league did what it had to do to survive back then. The expansion money helped them stick around long enough until TSN decided to adopt them.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Does anyone know if I can screenshot my season ticket card for scanning at the gate? This would only happen if I forget my card at home. I know I can show ID at the stadium for a replacement ticket. I should try it next game.

If you log into your account on your mobile device, you can download a pass onto your phone for any specific game. I often use it and works like a charm. With my OCD, I often download the passes well in advance so I don't panic on the way to the game if I forget.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
If you log into your account on your mobile device, you can download a pass onto your phone for any specific game. I often use it and works like a charm. With my OCD, I often download the passes well in advance so I don't panic on the way to the game if I forget.
I’d prefer to snap a pic. One of these games I’ll try it to see if it works.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
About nationality rules. I don't see what the big deal is really. Yes the 21 nationals out of 44 players seems like a really high number, but the starter number is pretty low at 7 out of 24. So really we're just seeing the other 14 Canadian players as backups and special teams players. The ratio allows those 14 guys good practice time and opportunities to develop and eventually try and earn a starters job. That's good for Canadian football while not making a gigantic impact on the overall quality of the offensive and defensive units. So I'm fine with it.

These players in turn become more knowledgeable in the sport, and in turn can become coaches themselves in the youth programs to further enhance that product as well and ultimately improve the quality of canadian professionals down the road.

Could the tweak the numbers a bit more towards imports, maybe, but I don't see how it is such a horrible thing that is destroying the product. And the benefits to canadian football as a whole are real.

Last edited:
Reactions: rboomercat90

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
you guys make some good points and give me pause for thought.

I do dismiss the argument though that eliminating the ratio would make the CFL become NFL lite. as long as you have 3 downs, the different CFL rules and larger field, it would never be NFL lite.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Its amazing how the games have changed since I was a kid/teenager at Commonwealth:

-had to smuggle in booze flasks if you wanted a drink-no beer sales.
-no marijuana sales either (I'm thinking of venues-post Oct. 2018, naturally- just in time for Grey Cup)
-you could smoke cigarettes all you wanted
-Pocklington and wife Eva sat right in front of us, Eva wore mink in mid-summer
-place was packed
-lots of drunken fights, girls included
-EE ticket office did not take credit cards, cash or cheque only
-parking at the surrounding schools was 4 bucks
-everybody ran onto the field the moment the game was over
-roster was 32 guys- 18 Canadians and 14 imports
-Bryan Hall was in his prime and people talked for days after about who he had insulted that week
-Calling into the post-game show and asking about what ever happened to Earl Edwards was a standing joke
-All high school marching bands at half-time, no rappers. I still hope that the legendary group Edward Bear will reunite and perform their classic "Freedom for the Stallion" at half-time- would pay premium dollars for that.

Last edited:

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Its amazing how the games have changed since I was a kid/teenager at Commonwealth:

-had to smuggle in booze flasks if you wanted a drink-no beer sales.
-no marijuana sales either (I'm thinking of venues-post Oct. 2018, naturally- just in time for Grey Cup)
-you could smoke cigarettes all you wanted
-Pocklington and wife Eva sat right in front of us, Eva wore mink in mid-summer
-place was packed
-lots of drunken fights, girls included
-EE ticket office did not take credit cards, cash or cheque only
-parking at the surrounding schools was 4 bucks
-everybody ran onto the field the moment the game was over
-roster was 32 guys- 18 Canadians and 14 imports
-Bryan Hall was in his prime and people talked for weeks after about who he had insulted that week
-Calling into the post-game show and asking about what ever happened to Earl Edwards was a standing joke
-All high school marching bands at half-time, no rappers. I still hope that the legendary group Edward Bear will reunite and perform their classic "Freedom for the Stallion" at half-time- would pay premium dollars for that.
Edward Bear will be busy patrolling the Oilers’ blue line.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007

Only one us team won the cup in the 3 years. The US teams sucked just as much as they had success.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Not sure why they dropped Owens. I mean why out him on your list in the first place if you are dropping him this quick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->