Elks: Edmonton Eskimos 2018 v2

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
We called a lot of slants and the like when we had Zylstra. I think the problem is that neither Walker nor Williams are the greatest route runners so the timing isn’t there for the slants. Even Hazelton would help out here.

Hazelton is definitely best suited for those routes, his injury is unfortunate. I'd like to see Mitchell get more of the ball in his place. He had that big game last year when half the team was hurt but didn't get a lot of action after that.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
10,000? No chance. Maybe a few hundred for his first game. But after than that, nothing. Anyone under 25 probably barely remembers who he is.

I think it would be more than a few hundred. People like seeing stars which is a bit of an issue with the CFL in general.

Attendance was a little over 31,000 for the Hamilton game. What would it have been if Manziel had started? 40,000?

It appears the Eskimos are serious about controlling TO's rights. Might as well get something of value, if he doesn't actually play for the team.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
It’s just like with the Oilers. All the games are on tv now and not many listen to the games on the radio anymore. The radio guy doesn’t have to be iconic like he used to be so nobody cares.

I'm sorry but suggesting that its okay to deliver a sub standard product because it has a reduced listening audience is a piss poor approach for any media outlet.
If nobody cared then why even bother broadcasting the games on radio?

There are standards for any broadcast and CHED's effort around the Esks game coverage is sub standard by any measure. The station should be embarrassed....so should the team.

This could get fixed in a heartbeat if Len 'winning isnt enough' Rhodes (still cant believe he said something so freaking stupid...lol) put pressure on CHED. We all know that wont happen. He is too busy trying prioritize the game entertainment above the product on the field.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
The worst part is that Morley frequently neglects to mention how many yards were picked up or whether or not a first down has occurred.

"Oh Duke Williams makes a nice catch!"...ok good...do we have a first down?..."he got by the coverage there and Mike Reilly placed it perfectly"...do we have a freaking first down Morley?!..."oh it actually looks like there's a flag out there now, we'll wait for the call"...wtf is going on!?..."and it's roughing on Reilly, so we'll move it up 15 yards"...to where? what was the original play?..."and here's the snap..." holy ****...

LOL...I hear you.
The important details of the game are an after thought far too often. Also... I would much rather hear an ex player (at any significant level) provide insights into the game than listen to Dave Campbell and his hyper inflated sense of knowledge about the game. I have no idea how or why he was elevated to being a color man for football. Maybe that just underscores CHEDs lack of talent. :dunno:
I have listened to DC a lot ofver the years...I dont have a lot of time for him.
As for Morley...he does fine with interviews IMO. He might even be an okay color man. His forte is most certainly not PBP. That is not an easy job and it takes a certain ability to do it right. Its just not a fit for Morley IMO.

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I don’t think I did that.

Actually you did.
You essentially suggested that Sunderland doesnt have the complete authority of a GM because of the behind the scenes hierarchy.

When I have time I will dig up the quote.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
LOL...I year you.
The important details of the game are an after thought far too often. Also... I would much rather hear an ex player (at any significant level) provide insights into the game than listen to Dave Campbell and his hyper inflated sense of knowledge about the game. I have no idea how or why he was elevated to being a color man for football. Maybe that just underscores CHEDs lack of talent. :dunno:
I have listened to DC a lot ofver the years...I dont have a lot of time for him.
As for Morley...he does fine with interviews IMO. He might even be an okay color man. His forte is most certainly not PBP. That is not an easy job and it takes a certain ability to do it right. Its just not a fit for Morley IMO.

To be honest, if Morley did colour (he used to for the Oilers) and Campbell did the PBP things would actually be 100x better. Campbell's voice and phrasing are easily better suited for PBP and Morley's for colour. It still wouldn't be any great shakes but it would be a huge improvement.

DrDrai

The OG
Jan 28, 2007
Edmonton
If T.O actually played for the eskimos, I’d actually go to a game and I’d buy his jersey. I’m not gonna go into my anti CFL rant but this league needs something to bring in fans. It’s sad but a 44 year old T.O would do that briefly, more than a few people that I’ve talked to said they would go watch him play that normally don’t watch games, and not to watch him fail.

BleedingOil

Dec 4, 2006
Edmonton
If T.O actually played for the eskimos, I’d actually go to a game and I’d buy his jersey. I’m not gonna go into my anti CFL rant but this league needs something to bring in fans. It’s sad but a 44 year old T.O would do that briefly, more than a few people that I’ve talked to said they would go watch him play that normally don’t watch games, and not to watch him fail.
Shows the knowledge of most sports "fans" in this city.

DrDrai

The OG
Jan 28, 2007
Edmonton
Shows the knowledge of most sports "fans" in this city.
I’m actually quite knowledgeable thanks. TheCFL is a terrible league, get rid of the requirement of need so many Canadian players and actually have the best possible talent pool available. Until they let fans see the best possible product I’m out. This is a league that rewards you for punting through the end zone...

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Wow, things are heating up on this board, it actually reminds me of that "other Edmonton Eskimo" forum on a well known web-site where discussion borders on "where do you live, I'm coming over:laugh:-- and that's from the moderators:nod::nod:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
To be honest, if Morley did colour (he used to for the Oilers) and Campbell did the PBP things would actually be 100x better. Campbell's voice and phrasing are easily better suited for PBP and Morley's for colour. It still wouldn't be any great shakes but it would be a huge improvement.

Interesting perspective. :nod:

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I’m actually quite knowledgeable thanks. TheCFL is a terrible league, get rid of the requirement of need so many Canadian players and actually have the best possible talent pool available. Until they let fans see the best possible product I’m out. This is a league that rewards you for punting through the end zone...

Is the NFL really such a superior product? I admit that I would like to change some things in the CFL but here are some of my observations about the "big league."

- Fair catch? Sissy stuff- why not see a run back?
-The sluggish, commercial filled games that seem to be devoid of entertainment. Games seem to be marathons.
-Big comebacks happen but they are rare. The wild finishes in the CFL are entertaining.
-The rouge means you can kick it out to avoid the point.
-They line up helmet to helmet with no neutral ground in the NFL.

The NFL has actually evolved into a passing game, like the CFL.

Until Bradshaw and Staubach starting duking it out in the air, it was basically just a running game- the odd pass here and there. I do like the running game but for so many years the NFL was 3 yards in a cloud of dust.

As for Owens, he will not make any difference in the CFL.

Reactions: BleedingOil

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Until Bradshaw and Staubach starting duking it out in the air, it was basically just a running game- the odd pass here and there. I do like the running game but for so many years the NFL was 3 yards in a cloud of dust.

As for Owens, he will not make any difference in the CFL.

Do you mean Terry Bradshaw who retired 35 years ago and Roger Staubach who retired 38 years ago? Skewing a little old with those references. :laugh:

Terrell Owens would be a helluva distraction for the Esks but he'd be fun to watch. I'd go to my first game in years if he got signed. I hope my reward would be to win the 50/50.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
You don’t like the CFL, fine. You want out, fine. No one cares.

Some of us love this fine game. We love the rules that make it special and unique. That includes the rouge, the speed of the game, the motion, the extra man, the wider field, the three downs...all of the rules that make it so **** exciting. It’s more exciting than the NFL game that you probably worship. If we make this game like the NFL then it dies. It’s not perfect; it’s just better. You don’t agree. That’s fine.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Do you mean Terry Bradshaw who retired 35 years ago and Roger Staubach who retired 38 years ago? Skewing a little old with those references. :laugh:

Terrell Owens would be a helluva distraction for the Esks but he'd be fun to watch. I'd go to my first game in years if he got signed. I hope my reward would be to win the 50/50.

Well, I am definitely one of the oldest guys on the thread (still handsome mind you:nod:) but really it seems like yesterday that the NFL had a 14 game schedule that was basically a running drill. The CFL was much more of a passing game in the 50's and 60's than the NFL was.

Good luck on the 50/50.

DrDrai

The OG
Jan 28, 2007
Edmonton
You don’t like the CFL, fine. You want out, fine. No one cares.

Some of us love this fine game. We love the rules that make it special and unique. That includes the rouge, the speed of the game, the motion, the extra man, the wider field, the three downs...all of the rules that make it so **** exciting. It’s more exciting than the NFL game that you probably worship. If we make this game like the NFL then it dies. It’s not perfect; it’s just better. You don’t agree. That’s fine.

Thats great enjoy the game, I don’t want the CFL to fold or anything, but the fact is the NFL talent pool is 100x better than the CFL, the players are freaks of nature. The best CFL players are either cut or make the practice roster at best, select few make special teams, and once in a blue moon a player like Cameron Wake comes along.

I find it frustrating that you rarely see any new QB’s that are any good, it takes many years before you see a backup get a chance to be a starter, even then they usually flame out as a waste of a roster spot, then Kevin Glenn comes in to save the day.

Fair catches in the NFL are boring, so is watching guys run away from the scary 5 yard circle of death. The rules for each league could be argued for years, but I guess my main point is the quality of players, and I suppose if they aligned their rules more with US colleges then you would see more impact players.

Anyways I’m not intentionally trying to start a war, I’ll go back to my NFL and give the Esks a fist pump if the win the grey cup.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
What the league should have done was fine Wynn and not suspend him.

Wynn isn’t dirty and his hit, while late, wasn’t dirty.

Had Gable and Davis not collided so violently, helmet to helmet, it’s questionable the league would have suspended Wynn.

What’s clear is that the CFL overreacted with Wynn paying the price because he won’t be collecting a pay cheque this week.

Suspending Wynn won’t do anything, except keep a very good player out of a lineup and take money out of his pocket.
ZICARELLI: Argos’ Wynn doesn’t deserve suspension

jtKcRRA.gif

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Many years for a backup to become a good starter? Don't tell that to Bo-Levi or Travis Lulay. Ditto for Ricky Ray, Trevor Harris and a host of others. If Ed hadn't signed Franklin to a 3 year contract then he would have been a starter in his 3rd season which was last year.

Reactions: MoneyGuy

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Thats great enjoy the game, I don’t want the CFL to fold or anything, but the fact is the NFL talent pool is 100x better than the CFL, the players are freaks of nature. The best CFL players are either cut or make the practice roster at best, select few make special teams, and once in a blue moon a player like Cameron Wake comes along.

There are a few players in the CFL who benefit from a less ... strict? approach to pot testing. Although that will likely change in the near future.

The ultimate reason the US expansion was doomed to fail was that the US based teams didn't have the rule import/non-import/Canadian players rule. In two seasons Baltimore made the Grey Cup twice and won once.

In the second, and final, season Canadian teams were a combined 12 games under .500 and the US teams were conversely 12 games over .500.

With a population base nine times the size of Canada's it just makes sense that the NFL will be a better quality product. Never mind the fact that NFL rookie minimum is seven times higher than the CFL average salary when you factor in the exchange rate.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007

The CFL is twice the product of oilers hockey at a fraction of the price.

Reactions: MoneyGuy

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

As a fan who's gone to over 200 games, if you won after not going to a game in years, I'd have to say.... BOOOOO!!!! :)

Reactions: Gunnersaurus Rex

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad