Elks: Edmonton Eskimos 2018 v2

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Shows the knowledge of most sports "fans" in this city.

that's an unfair comment. I wouldn't call many of the people I know ignorant sports fans for paying attention to things like this.

not everyone can or needs to be a super fan, and may just enjoy sports in general, especially a niche league like the CFL.

while I think the idea of owens playing for the esks is stupid, it would be a heck of an attention grabber and conversation starter. the fan base has shrunk a heck of a lot, so I wouldn't look down on something that could get a few thousand more to come to games.

who knows. maybe if 5000 more showed up to a couple of games, hundreds of them might become regular game atendees.

even posters on this site have expressed interest in going to a game again if Owens was here.
I wouldn't talk down to their sports knowledge.

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
I think it would be more than a few hundred. People like seeing stars which is a bit of an issue with the CFL in general.

Attendance was a little over 31,000 for the Hamilton game. What would it have been if Manziel had started? 40,000?

It appears the Eskimos are serious about controlling TO's rights. Might as well get something of value, if he doesn't actually play for the team.
9,000 people to specifically watch Manziel? Ya, once again, no chance. I think you seriously over estimate the public's interest in washed up/never was ex-NFL players.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
99% of people in Edmonton don't give a single shit about Manziel.

TO is a name that would draw a lot more clout but he's so far away from his pro football career at this point.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
TO may be in shape, but he's likely too long removed from football to step in and have an appreciable impact. The idea that he might return to the NFL is lunacy. He was a training camp cut in Seattle six years ago, and no longer a difference maker when he was in Buffalo and Cincinnati nearly a decade ago. This would be the equivalent of the Oilers exploring the possibility of signing Rod Brind'Amour.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
I’m hearing that one of the Edmonton flag-football teams has added Owens to their neg list. He’d tear that league up; CFL, not so much.

Reactions: BleedingOil

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I think the offence would be better if we had a true offensive coordinator instead of Maas trying to do too many things. If it was someone else we might not have kicked that ill-fated FG in the western final. Maybe Ray next season.

Wasn't Carson Welch our OC last year when Maas decided to kick that ill fated FG?

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
If T.O actually played for the eskimos, I’d actually go to a game and I’d buy his jersey. I’m not gonna go into my anti CFL rant but this league needs something to bring in fans. It’s sad but a 44 year old T.O would do that briefly, more than a few people that I’ve talked to said they would go watch him play that normally don’t watch games, and not to watch him fail.

Go and see him, sure, I could see some people doing that. Forking out a hundred bucks and buying his jersey? And one 44 year old man who hasn't played a down in years is going to make you want to see a game in a league you despise?:laugh:

Reactions: BleedingOil

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Yes but as I’ve mentioned that call wasn’t his alone.
Was going to edit after reading more posts, as I see Kyle already outed you and you responded.

I believe your point was that Maas needs to hire another OC to take the workload off so that it might help him make better decisions. He had an excellent OC and receivers coach who I would assume took a large load off of his back, but he still made the dumb decision in the western final. At the end of the day, Maas is the one who needs to and did make that fateful call, and there really are no excuses.

Last edited:

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Was going to edit, but after reading further, I see Kyle already outed you.

I believe your point was that Maas needs to hire another OC to take the workload off so that it might help him make better decisions. He had an excellent OC and receivers coach who I would assume took a large load off of his back, but he still made the dumb decision in the western final. At the end of the day, Maas is the one who needs to and did make that fateful call, and there really are no excuses.
Outed me for what?

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Some jerseys would be sold but his impact would be minimal.

Last edited:

DrDrai

The OG
Jan 28, 2007
Edmonton
Go and see him, sure, I could see some people doing that. Forking out a hundred bucks and buying his jersey? And one 44 year old man who hasn't played a down in years is going to make you want to see a game in a league you despise?:laugh:

I used to have season tickets, I went through 5 years of crappy Eskimos football. There are only so many blown leads a guy can handle, let alone Danny M.

I would find Owens playing to be of interest, and regardless of age and play, having one of the greatest receivers wear an Eskimos jersey IMO would be cool.

If Jagr came and played for the oilers I bet a few Jagr jerseys would’ve been sold.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Is the NFL really such a superior product? I admit that I would like to change some things in the CFL but here are some of my observations about the "big league."

- Fair catch? Sissy stuff- why not see a run back?
-The sluggish, commercial filled games that seem to be devoid of entertainment. Games seem to be marathons.
-Big comebacks happen but they are rare. The wild finishes in the CFL are entertaining.
-The rouge means you can kick it out to avoid the point.
-They line up helmet to helmet with no neutral ground in the NFL.

The NFL has actually evolved into a passing game, like the CFL.

Until Bradshaw and Staubach starting duking it out in the air, it was basically just a running game- the odd pass here and there. I do like the running game but for so many years the NFL was 3 yards in a cloud of dust.

As for Owens, he will not make any difference in the CFL.

I like the CFL game better.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I like the CFL game better.

I enjoy both but the CFL has the most exciting rules and has always been more like the college game than the pros. It's sloppier but more interesting.

The NFL seems to be played by machines, not men and it always feels so mechanical and cold. Its like a bunch of guys from the Terminator movies.

I love our unique game but I wonder if the Canadian content rule has run its course. I know all the reasons that it was introduced and retained but I sometimes struggle with the rationale when I watch some of the weaker Canucks play. Sometimes its a little too obvious that the guy doesn't deserve a starting position.

People will say "hey wait, you are taking jobs away from Canadian players" but in the interests of fairness you are also taking away jobs from American players in doing this. So which strategy is more equitable?

Yup, I'll get hammered for having said this (and labelled a traitor:laugh:) but I will just say it now and move on.

If I had my way, keep all the Canadian rules, the bigger field and the faster flow but the best 46 make the roster.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Given a choice between taking jobs from Canadians and Americans, the choice is clear. I know the players aren’t as good and I don’t care.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
But some people do care and argue that the best players available should hit the field. Is it entirely unwarranted as a criticism? All consumers want the best product and the most entertainment for their bucks.

The league used to have a rule which said that after a certain amount of seasons, American veteran ball players would be classified as Canadians. That was probably fair because some of them had obtained dual citizenship.

Last edited:
Reactions: guymez

DrDrai

The OG
Jan 28, 2007
Edmonton
But what would happen with regards to fan reaction that would make it die? What would be so different?

Nothing would change, people would suddenly notice how much better their teams would be, it would also push Canadian football players to reach a higher level. The star players in the league are all American anyways, Andrew Harris aside.

The argument of Canadians getting jobs over Americans is laughable, most of these guys are working another job in the offseason to prepare for life after the CFL since they make a very modest wage, this league is more about a passion of the game than money. If a Canadian didn’t have a roster spot he would be working his normal job making near the same as they would’ve playing football.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Nothing would change, people would suddenly notice how much better their teams would be, it would also push Canadian football players to reach a higher level. The star players in the league are all American anyways, Andrew Harris aside.

The argument of Canadians getting jobs over Americans is laughable, most of these guys are working another job in the offseason to prepare for life after the CFL since they make a very modest wage, this league is more about a passion of the game than money. If a Canadian didn’t have a roster spot he would be working his normal job making near the same as they would’ve playing football.

I tend to agree with your first paragraph, I don't know how the elimination of the Canadian ratio would end the game. The best Canadians at the college level all go to the NFL anyway.

But of course, I still love the bigger field and the Canadian rules;)

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Given a choice between taking jobs from Canadians and Americans, the choice is clear. I know the players aren’t as good and I don’t care.

seriously, I think you're the only person I have ever heard that has come out and said they prefer to watch inferior players and and inferior product. that kind of thinking is part of the reason people think the CFL is bush league.

to the vast majority of people, what makes the game Canadian is the field and the rules, not the nationality of the people playing.

often second rate talent getting paid the most amount of money.

people involved in, and close to those in canadian college ball and the CFL might feel a bit differently, but it's time to look hard at this.

The state of the game is to the point where the need to worry more about it's survival than protecting a few jobs for Canadians.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
The state of the game is to the point where the need to worry more about it's survival than protecting a few jobs for Canadians.
I mean I guess, part of the future is having people, kids, think they can actual make the league. If you make that an impossibility, they won't care. Also, the league's survival is going to come down to a lot more then that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad